Quigley Canyon Open Space Trail

Quigley Canyon Open Space Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Park all the way at the end of Cleardale St, you'll see the Quigley Canyon Open Space sign at the end. Park on the right hand side, away from the house on the left. The owner of that house is Joseph, super nice guy. He sold a chunk of that land for the open space, knows everything about it and will come and happily greet you if he spots you. This open space is made up of various short loops and a few lookout points at the tops of the hills. It's pretty exposed for the most part, some scattered oak trees here and there. It made for a pleasant morning hike with my 5 year old. On Coyote Loop, there's a small oak grove with a picnic area situated on the concrete foundation of the original building that used to be there. If you're looking for a challenging hike, this isn't the place. But if you want to get out and hike some hills for an hour or so, it's a nice spot. Great for little ones.

When you actually can find the place, there's no parking. Big waste of my time.

My favorite part of this trail are the horses right at the beginning of the trail. This trail is commonly used for trail riding which I would love to be doing. The trail itself is nice and lightly trafficked, but short. You don't have views over the hills but you can walk near trees. It's pretty and nice for a short, enjoyable walk.

I thought it was just nice. The markers to tell you which trail you were taking were not very clear. So for a newbie like myself I found myself guessing and hoping I was on the right trail.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

I though it was a good hike for a beginner if you take the coyote trail as a challenge. Other than that it's a very easy hike.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

There are so many better hikes in the Santa Clarita area. This has around 3 small loops. Only 1 has some elevation to it. There are tons of bees too. I don't recommend this trail to anybody. If you live next to it and have horses it's probably great. But I wouldn't drive more than a mile to get here. Worst open space in the SCV. Try Elsemere or Towsley Canyon nearby for a significantly better hike.