Quarry Trail

Quarry Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Auburn, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Walk along the river where the historic railway once traveled and end up at a stunning amphitheater of carved limestone This great hike along the Middle Fork of the American River ends in a spectacular amphitheater of sheer limestone walls rising around you. Enjoy the natural beauty of the American river canyon and also pass by an enormous cave that was the site of both paleontologic excavations and more mining activities. Learn about the plants and animals present today in the canyon environment as well as the mining history of the region. The trail is wide and smooth (some people even push baby strollers on it) and is mostly level in grade with the exception of the last bit up to the quarry. The trail follows the path of the old railway that was used to carry out the limestone. When it existed, the railway had standard gauge sized tracks and the cars were actually backed down the path 4 times daily to be filled with limestone and taken 7 miles to Auburn for cement production. In 1942 the railroad tracks were taken out for scrap iron for WWII. The state charges a day-use fee for every car parked in the parking area. This mixture of dirt road and singletrack trail is not always clearly marked, especially as it passes through the old quarry. Trail is great year-round but April -June is best for wildflowers.

very pretty hike! can be done with a jogging stroller too if you dont mind some rocky areas and a couple steep hills

Nice easy walk

Moderate easy and dod friendly. Runs along the American river so there are places to stop for the dogs or relaxation.

Great hike, easy to moderate. Unfortunately the mine is now blocked off, however, there are many accommodations along the trails including porta potties and tables.

Nice 4h hike, decent views of the river

Beautiful morning hiking!!!! I thought we’d be closer to the river, but we still had great views. Would be a easy hike for kids

I am not the most in shape, but I would still say this trail is more easy than moderate. Not so much to see, other than the river, which you walk above for a lot of the trail. The climbing area was beautiful; we ended our hike there

Beautiful today!!

good challenge as it offers many options depending on your interest.

it's a pretty good trail but plain, a few places to see but as a workout is pretty good.

ca

Had a great time on this trail. Some areas are not covered very well but other spots are super dense. However not all of the areas were open this time around due to bird nesting. This was my first time going, I really wanted to see the cave but when I got there the cave was blocked off with giant cement blocks

Beautiful scenery!

I was here on a Tuesday so I pretty much have the entire trail to myself. The trail itself is not bad, but there's no destination point, which I find disappointing. It's just a lot of walking along the river. The climbing area is nice though. I would just end the hike there in the future.

Very dope views of the river, we will be coming back soon.

Such beautiful views of the river and great scenery! We loved it! Perfect weather in April!

Went here on 4/1/18. Made it to the mine but it was closed off with cement, which was disappointing. A lot of people on the trail and parking was difficult. Maybe it was because it was Easter? Good day trip hike. The middle fork of the American river was running high and always beautiful up in this location.

This is a beautiful trail that follows the middle fork. It takes you to the old cave mines. The trial is kid and stroller friendly. We saw a river otter, bald eagle, and ducks. Go on a nice warm day or bundle up because the trial is mostly in the shade.

Great for all levels. The rock climbing area is a must see- my highlight!

Easy trail and great for dogs trail is wide enough for horses and bikes to get through

Wonderfully maintained trail that showcases some very historical aspects of the canyon. Good for hikers of all levels.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

LOVED THIS TRAIL. Couple uphill challenges heading in, but the ride out is awesome!

Monday, January 08, 2018

2018 and my friend & I ended up here. Nice easy trail. Loved it!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Flat trail. Easy outing. If you like to walk, this brisk road is wide and offers plenty of social interactions.

Friday, December 08, 2017

Nice hike, nice view but too many people for our liking.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

family friendly.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Nice trail, mostly shaded early (9am-10am) and the way back (11am-12pm) varied from shade to sun exposed. Took me 5 hours for 11.2 miles (5.6 to the trail junction, and picnic table) which included a break for lunch, a break down near the river, and multiple rest/water breaks for my little dog. Best river access I saw was about 1/2 way to the turn around when the trail is adjacent to a rocky area. We climbed over some rocks to a place where we could stick our feet in. Nice wide path most of the way, a few cyclists, runners and other hikers but lots of peace and quiet. A few narrow parts of the path where you should pay attention to poison oak. Will definitely come back in fall or spring.

Sunday, July 23, 2017