Pyles Peak Trail

Pyles Peak Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

You hike up Cowls Mountains and off to the side at the top you proceed to Pyles. Take plenty of water. Get there early because parking can be limited and turn wheels to curb. It took 2 hours and 23 minutes to do both hikes.

Great workout and a challenging hike. Will do this one again.

Loved this trail! One of 5 of the 5 peak challenge and my favorite. Views are great, not as crowded, challenging, great workout!

Great trail for a quick hike and a great view of San Diego. Bring water, it’s hot.

My favorite of the 5 Peaks!

You can get solitude here even though it's next to one of the most popular hikes in SD. Lots of greenery that you feel like you're not in the neighborhood.

The two interesting things about this climb for me were the view of the city, and the interface of Park land with the surrounding development. I encountered a handful of mountain bikers which is fine, but one just needs to be aware they are coming pretty fast.

The last part is the best.

After passing Cowles Mountain I really enjoyed this hike!! Cowles is good and all but way too many people. The views are great and the trail is less busy. Probably ran into 2 other groups at the peak but only one other person on the trail. The last .25 miles of this trail was the most challenging, but it was a great climb! Will definitely do again.

Very busy and a lot of rock hopping

Amazing trail! Once you get passed the overcrowded cowels mountain trail, you pretty much have the whole trail to yourself. I barely ran into 4 people all together. Great inclines and declines. The last .25 mile to the peak is a nice challenge for any hiker. Absolutely loved this trail- definitely coming back!

5 Peak challenge completed

finished 5 peak challenge with this peak. to me it was the most diffucult

Disappointed at first because it was a Tuesday and surprisingly busy. The moment I hit the pyles peak trail I crossed paths with one person and had the rest to myself!!! I found my zen and was ready to head back. My Apple Watch gave me 6.15 miles

I got to Pyles Peak by taking a trail leading to Cowles. If it wasn't for the 5 peak challenge, I would have avoided Cowles all together because it is so crowded, even at 630am. Pyles Peak trail is so quiet and beautiful! The last stretch is a nice climb but well worth the view!! We ended up having the summit to ourselves and only passed a hand full of people along the trail. I plan on coming back but taking the backside trail that avoids Cowles. Not a ton of shade so arrive early.

Great Trail! Almost no people.

Good hike and away from the crowds at Cowles. Moderate hike and highly recommend. Just over 2 hours from start to finish.

Went on to Pyles Peak from Cowles and loved this section so much! I heard my first rattlesnakes!! It took me a second for it to sink in what I was hearing. Never saw them thank goodness they were off in the brush. Beautiful views and not many people along the trail. Easy to navigate.

Great hike to Pyles Peak even if it rains on you.

You have to go up
Cowles to make it to Pyles!!! 5hrs Hike

This was a great hike and nice way to add some more distance / challenge to Cowells Mountain. The Hardest part for me was the climb back to Cowells Mountain from Pyles Peak, it was right when my legs started to get really tired! Make sure to plan accordingly on a hot day this hike would be brutal. Well worth the views.

Nice hike, not to busy. Enjoyed it.

Great view. Nice extra after finishing cowels

Once you pass the traffic jam on Cowles Mountain, the trails is nice and peaceful. Great view from the peak.

Great trail! It only gets better after the first peak because not nearly as many people continue on past that.

Really great hike. A lot of shade when you go early. Some areas provide cool shades. Awesome view on top.

Gives a decent view of the city and not too bad if you are in shape. Good workout
30 mins up 30 mins down

Excellent trail! I hiked up Cowles Mountain and continued onto Pyles Peak just beyond the vista point. The summit was 1,379 ft. I continued north towards the community on Mission Gorge Road attempting the 5-Peak Shuttle, but fell short at the third peak, Kwaay Paay Summit--1,194 ft. I had begun at noon and the brush was very bad on the north side descending down to Mission Gorge Road causing me to run out of daylight after 5 1/2 hours. I hiked to Kwaay Paay Summit in the dark before heading out. I completed the hike to Pyles Peak summit in 2 1/2 hours.

It was a good trail

Kids, strollers, dogs, trail DJs, crowds. You basically hike up Cowles then continue to Pyles. It's mostly downhill after the Cowles summit and much quieter. The Pyles view point looks northeast, while the better scenery is southwest toward downtown. Keep on going to Pyles Peak, a little uphill from the view point. Sunset and a panoramic view from TJ to San Diego's beaches on a clear day