Learn more

Purdon Crossing is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North San Juan, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 531 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Bridgeport Bridge area and parking remain closed during bridge construction project

Road down to the river was closed due to maintenance. Bridge is also closed until June 17 for repairs. I was able to walk down to the river about 1.5 miles. I didn’t go on the trail since I knew I had to walk back up the 1.5 miles and it’s a really steep grade. Got my workout! The water feels amazing in the river. It is a beautiful place!!

Great hike, shady and with the river flanking the trail. The drive is a little windy and the last 5 minutes before you get there is on a gravel road. Some parts of the trail narrows and there is quite a bit of poison oak. I loved the ups and downs and the river is glorious.

This trail was really pretty!!! We had a great time!!

Rockslide about 1.5 miles into the trail. Could not complete

This was a beautiful trail. We went in March. Lots of little waterfalls and wild flowers. Perfect little getaway.

recorded Purdon Crossing

Hiked this trail in January with my family and it was a nice hike. Moderately populated so it felt safe. It was a bit chilly at first, but moving around and the incline fixed that. The babbling river was peaceful and all the moss was cool. Would definitely hike again.

Great conditions and great views with lots of shade. Trail was well-maintained and clear, though there were a couple of downed trees where the trail had been slightly rerouted. Weather was perfect in mid-October. DId this hike as an out and back. Explored a bit of the other side of the river (across the bridge) once I reached Purdon. Spent the night about a mile from Purdon Crossing a little way past the day use area (overnight camping is not allowed in the areas marked for day use at the beginning and end of this trail). A few other people camping on the river but by no means crowded. I'd say that is based on it being pretty late in the year. Got down in the low 40s at night but was prepared with layers so I kept plenty warm. Not too crowded. Only met one kind of sketchy looking individual on the trail in the Private Property crossing area who was carrying a pick axe and gold panning tools, but he seemed more or less harmless. About four carloads of people showed up looking for fun on the river when I returned to the car on Sunday. This leads me to believe that while this hike seems like it could be a lot of fun during the summer (with lots of great swimming holes) I'd be willing to bet the place is generally overrun and too crowded for a peaceful backpacking trip during the summer months.

paddle sports

Jogged up the trail 2 mi, then swam/floated/scrambled down river 3 mi back to the start (river distance is always 30-50% more)

Tue Apr 16 2019

This is one of my favorite hikes in the area. Beware we came back with dog and deer ticks on ourselves and the dogs. The creek at the waterfall is high and hard to get through.

private property
Mon Apr 01 2019

This was a nice flat trail along the river. I observed people strolling, jogging, and walking their dogs (though there were many signs prohibiting dogs). In order to get to the river you must go off-trail though there are a few side trails which take you to the river. I gave 4 stars because getting to this trail was quite the slow ride due to the primitive roads. The roads started out with many steep turns but it was paved. After traveling for a few miles, the road was gravel. About a half mile later it degraded to a pothole infested dirt road. I found myself driving 10 mph to avoid the potholes and jutting rocks. Quite honestly, there are many other trails along the river which are just as nice and much easier to access. Another interesting feature was most of the trail I was on went through private land. I was reluctant to hike too far in because of this. The views by the river were breathtaking and from what I observed, the trails were not crowded. Oh, one last thing, beware nude sunbathers. I unintentionally spied 3!

Sun Mar 17 2019

Yet another breathtakingly gorgeous trail in Nevada County. We were walking easily and two were biking. They had to carry their bikes overs some areas where there were rocks. We walked attentively in those areas. Very natural and kind of find your own way in some places. Shared a picnic at a lovely spot with a waterfall. Looking forward to going again.

Sat Feb 16 2019

this trail is much longer then what you see. I had to turn back because I didn't want to cross the waterfall since I was hiking alone but I still enjoyed some great views and you can get right down to the river as well as enjoy a great overview. I'll definitely be back to finish getting to the other bridge.

Sun Aug 05 2018

Very pretty trail along the river. Feels incredibly remote, not much traffic. Great picnic spot at the end of the trail at the river.

Tue Jul 18 2017

Pretty good places to swim water is emerald green could have a bit of fun tubing as well

Sat Jun 03 2017

A wonderful out and back trail. It's about 4.5 miles to the next River Crossing. It's in full shade and it's wonderful up-and-down's. You'll get a work out no matter what your fitness level in. Many people use it for trail running. Lots of opportunities for nude sunbathing, bongo drumming and pot smoking too.

recorded purdon to edwards