Prospect Peak Trail

Prospect Peak Trail is a 6.9 mile out and back trail located near Westwood, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October.

great moderate hike , good steady up hill all the way to the top .. amazing 360 views , trail ends at North side , but can continue around peak for views of all directions .. cell service to for u junkies lol .. I recommend adding the cone into this hike after your descent , .. I recommend adding the cone to any hike at butte hahhaa

We agree with Bill's review below. This trail should be rated Hard, not Moderate. We did this trail after going up Cinder Cone in the morning. Prospect Peak is relentless in upslope and really makes you work for the last 200m of elevation gain to get to the peak plateau. I was more beat on this summit than any other trail in recent memory. This year alone our prior toughest tracks were Guadalupe Peak due to the terrain, Upper Yosemite Falls and Point, and Observation Point in Zion. We are day trekkers only but we think most users on AllTrails are as well. Nice views at the peak of Lassen and surrounds as well as Shasta. This is no Moderate rated track. Our 4* rating means that we are glad we did it, would recommend others to do it, but would not do it again.

Prospect Peak is maybe the most difficult peak bagging day hike in Lassen. It's second in elevation gain only to Brokeoff, but the trail is all black volcanic sand, so it takes longer, I think, and is more tiring than an equivalent hike on a firmer trail surface. The forest is beautiful, but there are no views until just under the summit. Still, one of the best hikes in the Park.

Monday, September 09, 2013

This was actually probably my favorite trail in the Butte Lake area. The climb is a bit tough - just a long, fairly steep climb that gradually gets steeper, but once you're on top the views are probably the best on that side of the park. It is a volcano, but it has only a shallow, sandy crater covered in trees, so it's hard to tell. The trailhead is right outside camp on the way to Cinder Cone, so this should be a mandatory hike for anyone staying at Butte.