Learn more

Prospect Peak Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,263 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail. My wife did not love the lower sandy sections but they didn't bother me much. Excellent views of Mount Lassen even if the top is still below tree line.

While you won’t get one 360 degree view, spend an hour walking around the rim at the top and be treated to some of the most spectacular views Lassen National Park has to offer.

Wonderful hike in a very nice forest. If you want to be alone that's a perfect spot. The different views from the top are incredible, you'll have to a little bit off trail to see the cinder cone from there. We did it in 90 minutes from the camping. The slope is constant and not too aggressive. Very pleasant. Edit: reading the other comments, i must precise that there is no sand at all on the trail except for the first kilometer (common trail to cinder cone so there is volcanic ashes on the ground but it's all flat ground).

recorded Recording - Aug 23, 06:40 PM

As others mentioned, this is a relentless uphill climb through sand. I highly recommend sticks or poles for support. However, I didn't enjoy the top as much as I thought I would. While I did see Lassen, Shasta, Cinder Cone, and Snag Lake, the views were mostly obstructed by trees. I preferred Cinder Cone for the views. Also, either my phone GPS or the map is incorrect. It kept telling me that I was off trail but there's only one trail to follow.

Sat Nov 17 2018

This was a pretty good trail. Well marked and the views would have been nice, but it was extremely smoky in August 2018. The day before I hiked Cinder Cone and could see Prospect Peak. When I did this peak the next day I could not see Cinder Cone or much else. There was a female sooty grouse perched in a tree so that was cool. There is a peak marker, but not a summit box. Worth doing if you are in the area doing Cinder Cone and looking for more miles.

Sat Jun 23 2018

great moderate hike , good steady up hill all the way to the top .. amazing 360 views , trail ends at North side , but can continue around peak for views of all directions .. cell service to for u junkies lol .. I recommend adding the cone into this hike after your descent , .. I recommend adding the cone to any hike at butte hahhaa

Sun Jun 03 2018

We agree with Bill's review below. This trail should be rated Hard, not Moderate. We did this trail after going up Cinder Cone in the morning. Prospect Peak is relentless in upslope and really makes you work for the last 200m of elevation gain to get to the peak plateau. I was more beat on this summit than any other trail in recent memory. This year alone our prior toughest tracks were Guadalupe Peak due to the terrain, Upper Yosemite Falls and Point, and Observation Point in Zion. We are day trekkers only but we think most users on AllTrails are as well. Nice views at the peak of Lassen and surrounds as well as Shasta. This is no Moderate rated track. Our 4* rating means that we are glad we did it, would recommend others to do it, but would not do it again.

Thu Aug 10 2017

Prospect Peak is maybe the most difficult peak bagging day hike in Lassen. It's second in elevation gain only to Brokeoff, but the trail is all black volcanic sand, so it takes longer, I think, and is more tiring than an equivalent hike on a firmer trail surface. The forest is beautiful, but there are no views until just under the summit. Still, one of the best hikes in the Park.

Mon Sep 09 2013

This was actually probably my favorite trail in the Butte Lake area. The climb is a bit tough - just a long, fairly steep climb that gradually gets steeper, but once you're on top the views are probably the best on that side of the park. It is a volcano, but it has only a shallow, sandy crater covered in trees, so it's hard to tell. The trailhead is right outside camp on the way to Cinder Cone, so this should be a mandatory hike for anyone staying at Butte.

Thu Jul 04 2019