Learn more

Prospect #3 to Mine Hill Trail Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(106)
Almaden Quicksilver County Park

Prospect #3 to Mine Hill Trail Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near New Almaden, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,410 feet Route Type: Loop

Water and bathrooms at the parking lots. Water for horses at several points in the park, including the top of Mine Hill Trail. The park includes over 37 miles of hiking trails, including 30 miles of equestrian trails and 16.6 miles of bike trails. All trails in the park are also open to pet owners to walk their dogs on leash. For more information visit: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/pages/almadenpark.aspx

Actually it was 8miles trail not 6.8miles. We did counter clockwise. First quarter was shady and loose slopes. Second quarter was beginning of Prospect trail and very hard uphill. After that long up and down hill and there was no shade a lot. It was hard for us. We thought we had enough water but it was not enough. Please bring plenty water with you.

This place is fantastic! My colleagues and I went for almost 10 miles hike. It has different terrain, and the place was quiet, and shady. We are looking forward to going back. The view is fantastic!!

I started from New Almaden trail and hiked counter-clockwise. It was a great trail! I think it’s rated hard because of the elevation. The first half was keeping going up. More than half of the trail was shaded. Prospect trail was barely shaded but once you turned onto Mine Hill it was mostly shaded with wide road. The view is awesome!

We -loved- this trail! For most of the hike, we hardly saw anyone. This hike has some of the most beautiful views I’ve seen at Almaden Quicksilver. Many nice vistas. Even though it’s called a hard hike, this felt more moderate. The whole trail is well shaded, and we saw a good number of turkeys and deer along the way. Did the hike counter clockwise from the parking lot. If you go clockwise, be prepared for a very, very steep initial ascent.

Nice trails/fire roads to run. Tree down blocking trail ~2 miles from Mockingbird parking area on New Almaden trail. Get there early to get parking.

Mix of shade and open space. Heavy traffic on weekend and around noon time. Good workout going uphills.

Nice hike all in all. We went clockwise - stepper wider trail going up narrower less steep trail Coming down. Variety of ecosystems nice mix of sun and shade. Dog loved it.

I did this hike starting from Hancieda trail to mine hill to prospect #3 to New Almeda trail. Looking at the elevation drop (gain for you if you were to follow directions in the App) of New Almeda trail I guess, hiking in opposite direction as mentioned in the app makes it tad easier. Nevertheless, it’s a trail that goes through beautiful Oak filled hill, at times small patches of open grassland. Beware of misses: 1. I missed to follow mine hill trail at castillero junction (Junction 15) so ended up doing additional 0.7 miles to junction 30 and same distance back. 2. Also, it’s very easy to miss the mine hill trail when it crosses Randal Creek (about 0.7 miles from the park entrance) one might end up going up the hill, following the creek instead of crossing it near a bench.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Great trail. Some wildflowers already. Come back in 1-2 weeks and I bet it’ll be incredible! CCW section to the top is single track (and best).

Sat Jul 21 2018

Love the Prospect part of the hike.

Sun Sep 24 2017

Enjoy hike in the woods with very quite atmosphere in New Almaden Trail. Trees give lots of shade and enjoy green and small creeks. New Almaden Trail is narrow. Maybe a little bit slippery in rainy season. Recommend to enjoy in dry condition.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Prospect #3 is a no-nonsense trail that goes almost straight up the ridge. A favorite when I'm feeling like just gearing down and climbing.