Prewitt Ridge Trail

Prewitt Ridge Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,103 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Bottom mile is full of poison oak and overgrown. Trail sign also points you in wrong direction. I would not recommend this trail. My dog also ended up covered in ticks.

This trail was not well kept. Eroding hillsides and so much growth blocking the trail. Two of the three of us were cut up all over our legs and the third gal got hives from one of the plants we had to move just to pass through the trail. We stopped about a mile up the mountainside and turned back.

Please beware that the first quarter mile of trail is literally choked with poison ivy. About 300 yards in the trail becomes a tunnel of P.O. one could probably punch through to make it beyond to P.O. to the drier slope above but I had to curtail my hike. Note: to complete the Prewitt Loop trail starting from the southern TH, one would have to bushwhack through this tough section

Friday, February 09, 2018

Beautiful place. dispersed camping. a lot a trash left from rude campers. please pack it out.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Not an easy hike. Straight downhill then straight back up. Very difficult.

recorded Prewitt Ridge Trail