Preston Falls Trail

Preston Falls Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Groveland, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Yosemite/Hetch Hetchy, you take Cherry Lake Road all the way down to the trailhead at the bottom of the valley (20 min drive from the Mather Camp). The trailhead is actually called "Stanislaus National Forest Trailhead" and is not correct on Google if you search Preston Falls (but the directions are correct using the AllTrails app). When you are ready to head back, you go to the top of the road and turn right at the stop sign to get to Hwy 120.

All in all, a great hike! The river was flowing today, and it was truly beautiful! My friend and I completed the hike in about 4 hours. Here's my advice though... Wear long pants! The trail is pretty easy to follow, but not very well maintained. I was in shorts today, and was definitely feeling the pain of branches and brush on my legs. Be aware of poison oak! There seems to be a ton of it around the trail. Bring lots of water! It gets long and hot, and easy to drink lots of water.

It was a pretty nice place for a day hike. I went in April after heavy rains so there was a marsh about 3 miles into the hike. The falls were an ok scenery but wasn't worth getting feet wet. I recommend going in the warmer months of the year. The camping is not that great only a small handful of spots to pitch a tent. Everything else is just overgrow or wet. There was definitely a lot of wood to burn though. It's a nice day hike but I wouldn't recommend for overnight camping.

We did this hike last Sunday. We drove in on Cherry Lake Rd from 120 – paved road sometimes narrow for dually truck but OK. Great hike very little elevation change and with the Tuolumne River running full bore it is breathtaking. We were wondering when we got to the falls where we should go. We were bouldering around the water’s edge to a flat rock in from of the falls. Great view but wondered if we should not have been above the falls. I think because of the river level the path was not clear. It was pretty wet through the large meadow and several paths could be seen. Hard to find the correct one. Would be good to have a tree marker on either side to show direction you should be going. We would recommend this hike to anyone. The only thing, there is lots of poison oak – long pants are a must and long shirt was required for at least half the hike.

The trail was hard to follow at times because it seemed minimally maintained. Only encountered two other groups of hikers the whole day. NOTE: Some of the trail is flooded right now (May 2017) and requires getting your feet VERY wet and possibly mosquito bitten to make it all the way to the falls. That said, powered through and found the falls delightful. They're short but loud and impressive, and there's nice space to sprawl and recover for the trek back.

According to a sign at the turn in, this hike is in a day use area that closes at 5 (with locked gate). After a 2 hour drive, I had to turn around b/c we got a late start and I didn't want to be locked in.

It has been years since i have been on this trail and my scout troop is thinking about backpacking to the Falls. I do have a few questions and i hope that someone may have the answer. Is there a place along the trail that we can fit about 30 people? Has anyone fished this? Is it any good and is it barbless? Not sure if you can answer this particular post but any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Pretty scenery, easy hike, and trail well marked! Will definitely go again! Be sure to get your directions from Alltrails!

Great hike, great weather. Wish I would have brought the fishing gear. As per last post driving directions per my phone not good. If coming up 120 from down the hill take a left on Cherry Lake Road, follow it all the way to the bottom of the ravine they'll be a sign that says Kirkwood Power House to the right. Go right and keep following pavement all the way to the end of the road, about a half mile. You'll see the sign for Stanislaus National Forest Trailhead with an obvious turn around, parking area and a bathroom there. Enjoy, We did!

The entrance to this hike is super tricky... No one in Yosemite knows about it. Make sure you take Cherry Lake Road. From Yosemite/Hetch Hetchy, you take that all the way down to the trailhead at the bottom of the valley (20 min drive from the Mather Camp). The trailhead is actually called "Stanislaus National Forest Trailhead" and is not correct on Google if you search Preston Falls (but the directions are correct using the AllTrails app/map). When you are ready to head back, you go to the top of the road and turn right at the stop sign to get to Hwy 120. Just print out the map using All Trails before you get there bc there's no reception out there. I've posted a picture of the Trailhead sign so you'll know when you've reached the right place.

Trail itself was great, runs along the river mostly, moderate is accurate. You will have some flies in your face for the first half hour or so which is annoying. We went early October and it was still quite warm but not busy at all. By that time, the falls are supposedly dried up but the trail itself is still beautiful to hike. 40 percent shade, 60 percent in the sun. The trail itself must be more than 8.5 miles out/back bc we reached 4.3 and were definitely not at the end. Maybe it's 9-10 miles total. I'll post a picture as well of the "mini falls". I would suggest stopping there and turning around because after that point we spent 45 minutes walking through low weeds and scratchy branches which scratched up our legs (had shorts on) and was irritating to walk through. After that point, it seemed that not many people continued since the way wasn't very clear (branches weren't cut back).

There are some places to get in the water as well as mini "beaches" with sand!!!

Monday, June 06, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

just did this hike today, beautiful!! so many places to pull off and fish, rest.. the waterfall was worth the hike!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This was a great hike with great views. The area was burnt in 2013 but is recovering great. Went on Memorial day and was not crowded at all.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Hiked this one several times. Nice parking area with restrooms. Heading east on Hwy 120 about 10 or 15 miles past Groveland, you will finally see a sign that says San Jose Camp, Cherry Lake Road. The road winds down to the river then go right where it "T"s off. You will see the living facilities of the Hetch Hetchy employees and then the parking area and trail head. The trail follows the Tuolumne River and is mostly flat and east to follow. BONUS INFORMATION: If you turn left at the "T" instead of right, you will head toward the power station. There is a bridge with room to park and another trail head that runs for miles in the opposite direction. Either way, it's a nice place to check out. The only problem is that it's way out there so you need to get an early start to get there in time to get your miles in. Also; wild Bay Leaves everywhere, so bring a baggie and fill it up.