Presidio Loop Trail

MODERATE 56 reviews

Presidio Loop Trail is a 3.6 mile loop trail located near San Francisco, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

DISTANCE
3.6 miles
ELEVATION GAIN
295 feet
ROUTE TYPE
Loop

dogs on leash

birding

hiking

nature trips

trail running

walking

views

This charming trail offers seclusion, natural wonders, and historic and cultural variety of the Presidio. Stunning views can be found on this short trip through forests and grasslands and along coastal bluffs. The Bay Area Trail and Anza Loop circumnavigate the Presidio Golf course

trail running
5 months ago

Great run. First time I’ve gone running in forever, but was able to run/jog about 60% and walked the other 40%. In all it took me about 45 minutes. Definitely a challenging run with elevation changes, but also really nice scenery. I’ll for sure do this trail again in the near future.

trail running
Sunday, July 02, 2017

Mostly paved, along roads. Starts strong, with views and wooded paths, but peters out quickly.

hiking
Thursday, May 25, 2017

When turning into golf club and café head for the first right hand parking lot – the trailhead is on the right side of that lot. The hike was a bit longer than expected though well worth it. If you have a pet-the Park Trail shortcut is not possible due to Coyote warnings. Requires a little navigation to make the loop. Much of the trail is through-woods. You will cross a few roads and walk along the road a short way and through residential neighborhoods toward the end of the hike to pick up the last portion that goes through the cemetery. We walked slowly and took breaks with our dog and it took about two hours. A few minor uphill and down hills. Moderate hike is a good assessment. Views at the top...of the Marin headlands are outstanding! Bring a camera! Unexpected crossing underneath Presidio Boulevard which we have never done! Lots of other hikers along the way. The final 1/2 mile is uphill...behind Mountain Lake Park. If you are tired-take one of the set of steps on the right, to cut through the dog park at the top of the mountain lake park which puts you out at around 8th Avenue and Lake Street; for pick up by whomever you hiked with that parked at the trailhead. It's about 8 blocks from there;)

hiking
Sunday, April 02, 2017

A good city trail to hike with my dog.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Great for an easy city trek!

backpacking
Friday, August 12, 2016

Good trail, lots of people

trail running
Saturday, July 14, 2012

This really serves as multiple trailheads in one. Beginning at a fitness course, you can follow the short loop for a great outdoor workout, or continue through and past Presidio Golf Course (great incline variation for runners) and all around. Lots of options from this starting point!

hiking
Sunday, September 25, 2011

Nice walk in the woods.

hiking
4 days ago

26 days ago

trail running
27 days ago

hiking
2 months ago

hiking
2 months ago

hiking
3 months ago

hiking
3 months ago

hiking
4 months ago

hiking
4 months ago

hiking
5 months ago

trail running
5 months ago

6 months ago

hiking
6 months ago

hiking
6 months ago

hiking
7 months ago

hiking
7 months ago

hiking
8 months ago

hiking
8 months ago

hiking
9 months ago

hiking
10 months ago

hiking
10 months ago

hiking
10 months ago

Load More