Power Line Trail

Power Line Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 308 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome, well maintained trail. Definitely a moderate rating for climb and up hill rocking ascents. We MTB’d with kids (6, 8) and this pushed their uphill strength.

BEWARE OF WILD COYOTES ON THIS TRAIL: I walked our small dog at dusk only to be encountered by a coyote who was quite aggressive despite my efforts to deter him (standing my ground, yelling get back and waving my hands in the air) unfortunately I made the mistake of turning my back on him and he started to stalk our little Dewey. After retracing my steps back towards the beginning of this trail, I threw a pine cone at him and he discontinued following us into the neighborhood where we were staying. I don’t recommend walking dogs off leashes on this trail. It’s too bad because it seemed like it would have been a nice trail otherwise.

The start of the trail diverges at the beginning. I was unsure which one to follow due to lack of signs. I was a problem when I tried to return to exit at the trail head a missed it. I had GPS on my phone that allowed my way back. Once on the trail, it was great and challenging.

off road driving

This review is for 12N08 Forest Service road, which is a part of Powerline trail. I took a mostly stock Expedition Max FX4 on it twice, traveling both directions. Southbound direction seems easier (starting at the end of Columbine Trail (street)). No airing down and most of the trail in 4A. A couple of uphill sandy spots called for 4Lo and a locker. There's one spot mid-way which required a spotter to avoid rock contact. Overall a nice entry-level 4WD trail.

Nice easy trail with a lot of mountain bikers and dog walkers. Beautiful forest with wonderful scenery.

Nice easy trail. We used Google to get to the trailhead and that took us to Saddle Rd. directly from Pioneer Trail. Better access from Saddle Rd off of Ski Run Blvd. otherwise trail is great. don't miss the mile plus loop that takes you along side Cold Creek. Well worth the exta distance.

Hiked this morning. Missed the left turn early in the trail and ended up taking the alternate trail which is south of the main trail. Took the main trail on the way back which made it a loop. Saw a big BEAR on the trail about 1.8 miles in by the creek. He didn’t bother us and lumbered away. No snow but beautiful views of the lake and snow capped peaks. Spring flowers in bloom.

Beautiful hike in woods area, trail was clear no snow. Watch out for mountain bikers.

Beautiful trail and views. Forest at its best. First time mountain biking, had to walk in a couple of areas, but not too hard. Will do this one again.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Great up and down trail. Jogged it at an easy pace. Great occasional views but mostly through the forest. Beautiful!

Friday, August 03, 2018

I was looking for a nice morning hike close to our rental cabin and this was the perfect match! It’s a nice established trail with a lot of shade and trees. Some distant views of the lake but not too many. I hit the trail at 7:30 am and only encountered three other hikers and a couple mountain bikers...so it’s nice! Recommended!

Saturday, July 14, 2018

This trail is a great, simple, out and back journey for a jog with a view! It has potential to link up with lots of other connecting trails too.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Nice trail, pretty easy hike.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

We really enjoyed this trail. It was challenging for us (but would probably be easy for those who hike frequently). Had a couple of nice views of the lake and a nice little creek at the end.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Nice clear trail, just make sure you stay to your left when you enter. There’s a creek and a bit of a view of Lake Tahoe at the end, then walking back you see the lake most of the way.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Good fun and fairly straightforward for most of it.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Great for mountain bikes. Uneventful hike. Catch a glimpse of South Lake Tahoe and the stream at the end is nice but otherwise I would prefer some better views. It's an easy hike if that's what you are looking for.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

It was a beautiful hike. We enjoyed it. Nice views of Lake Tahoe and a beautiful flowing stream at the end.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

This is a nice trail (s) with some beautiful sites. The only issue that we had was that there are many offshoots and nothing really marking the trail that I could see to help better guide us along the way. We originally planned this as a training run for my daughter to practice her cross country running, but is hard with out a clearly marked trail.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great hike near Ski Run blvd. Great views. Up and down rolling hills none too difficult. I would hike it again.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Awesome trail and views

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Difficult parking at the trail head. I wouldn't try this in the winter months when the trail is covered in snow. I did this is March and had a tough time following the map. Went off trail for most of it. Enjoyed a long break at the top with a little view of the lake. So nice to breath the fresh air. First solo hike in a while.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Nice I close to SLT hike. More of a walk. Be sure to hit one of the rock outcroppings you get to first for good views. Otherwise more of a forest walk. burn and first Mgt. Make sure you make it to the stream 3/4 way in!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great trail with some spectacular views throughout various parts (especially the beginning). Pretty easy and kid friendly with the exception of a couple more strenuous inclines, but they are few and far between. NOTE: Wear shoes that you don't mind getting dirty/dusty!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Nice hike ! Very close to the Hotels near Heavenly. Not too rugged. Perfect for kids. Some beautiful views of Lake Tahoe and Emerald Bay.

Monday, July 11, 2016

This trail is awesome. So many options and it goes past a sweet creek. I recommend this trail for anyone looking to get out into the woods and explore.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Great hike, has beautiful views. The trail seems to more utilized by mountain bikers than hikers, at least on the day we went. useful signs help to find your correct way back.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Great hike for kids and is perfect for beginning mountain bikers/family. Drive up to trailhead and go up high meadow spur trail. This has one loop that drops down by cold creek...take rt at first Y. Retrace steps back to Y and follow trail to road and hike back to trailhead.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Trail is awesome for mountain biking! It puts you in the back country with about the same up and downs. There are some awesome views of the lake and surrounding mountains.