Learn more

Power Line Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October.

Length 3.5 mi Elevation gain 308 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (115)
Recordings (176)
Completed (364)
Shauna Salazar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 15 2020
Hiking

Ran into a bear, he paid no attention.

View Shauna's Recording
Austin Mayeux
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
Mountain biking

Solid flowy singletrack ride. Some parts a bit sandy but overall decent beginner/intermediate ride.

View Austin's Recording
Maria Zimmerman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 06 2020

Took mountain bike and finished in 30mins

View Maria's Recording
Alexis Murray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 06 2020
HikingRocky

I love this trail for a good day hike. It can be nice and short to a good view, or long with lots of varied forest. spectacular views

View Alexis's Recording
Michalis Avraam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 15 2020
HikingIcyMuddy
View Michalis's Recording
Joan Hu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Nov 12 2019
Hiking

Great hike! we started around 10am hardly anybody on the trail. Did the loop around cold creek trail for a 7.5 mile RT. Some dogs off leash.

Travis and Kate Harvey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Sep 20 2019
Hiking

Awesome, well maintained trail. Definitely a moderate rating for climb and up hill rocking ascents. We MTB’d with kids (6, 8) and this pushed their uphill strength.

Mike Corbitt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Sep 06 2019
HikingWashed out
Frank Toth
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Sep 05 2019
HikingBugs

BEWARE OF WILD COYOTES ON THIS TRAIL: I walked our small dog at dusk only to be encountered by a coyote who was quite aggressive despite my efforts to deter him (standing my ground, yelling get back and waving my hands in the air) unfortunately I made the mistake of turning my back on him and he started to stalk our little Dewey. After retracing my steps back towards the beginning of this trail, I threw a pine cone at him and he discontinued following us into the neighborhood where we were staying. I don’t recommend walking dogs off leashes on this trail. It’s too bad because it seemed like it would have been a nice trail otherwise.

Karl DeJean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 02 2019
Hiking

The start of the trail diverges at the beginning. I was unsure which one to follow due to lack of signs. I was a problem when I tried to return to exit at the trail head a missed it. I had GPS on my phone that allowed my way back. Once on the trail, it was great and challenging.

Denis K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 07 2019
OHV/Off Road Driving

This review is for 12N08 Forest Service road, which is a part of Powerline trail. I took a mostly stock Expedition Max FX4 on it twice, traveling both directions. Southbound direction seems easier (starting at the end of Columbine Trail (street)). No airing down and most of the trail in 4A. A couple of uphill sandy spots called for 4Lo and a locker. There's one spot mid-way which required a spotter to avoid rock contact. Overall a nice entry-level 4WD trail.

View Denis's Recording
Chris O'leary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 18 2019
Hiking

Nice easy trail with a lot of mountain bikers and dog walkers. Beautiful forest with wonderful scenery.

Ed Bratt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 21 2019
Hiking

Nice easy trail. We used Google to get to the trailhead and that took us to Saddle Rd. directly from Pioneer Trail. Better access from Saddle Rd off of Ski Run Blvd. otherwise trail is great. don't miss the mile plus loop that takes you along side Cold Creek. Well worth the exta distance.

View Ed's Recording
Dan Hilley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 18 2019
Hiking

Hiked this morning. Missed the left turn early in the trail and ended up taking the alternate trail which is south of the main trail. Took the main trail on the way back which made it a loop. Saw a big BEAR on the trail about 1.8 miles in by the creek. He didn’t bother us and lumbered away. No snow but beautiful views of the lake and snow capped peaks. Spring flowers in bloom.

View Dan's Recording
Leslie Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 04 2019
Hiking

Beautiful hike in woods area, trail was clear no snow. Watch out for mountain bikers.

Lynne Creamer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Nov 12 2018
Mountain biking

Beautiful trail and views. Forest at its best. First time mountain biking, had to walk in a couple of areas, but not too hard. Will do this one again.

Danicia Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 24 2018

Great up and down trail. Jogged it at an easy pace. Great occasional views but mostly through the forest. Beautiful!

Dan Pasquale
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 03 2018
Hiking

I was looking for a nice morning hike close to our rental cabin and this was the perfect match! It’s a nice established trail with a lot of shade and trees. Some distant views of the lake but not too many. I hit the trail at 7:30 am and only encountered three other hikers and a couple mountain bikers...so it’s nice! Recommended!

Peter McNeely
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 14 2018
Running

This trail is a great, simple, out and back journey for a jog with a view! It has potential to link up with lots of other connecting trails too.

Kristi Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 21 2018
Hiking

Nice trail, pretty easy hike.

Heather Heise
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 13 2018
Hiking

We really enjoyed this trail. It was challenging for us (but would probably be easy for those who hike frequently). Had a couple of nice views of the lake and a nice little creek at the end.

June S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Nov 26 2017
Running

Nice clear trail, just make sure you stay to your left when you enter. There’s a creek and a bit of a view of Lake Tahoe at the end, then walking back you see the lake most of the way.

Claire Osmond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Sep 20 2017
Mountain biking

Good fun and fairly straightforward for most of it.

Joe Schmo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 03 2017

Great for mountain bikes. Uneventful hike. Catch a glimpse of South Lake Tahoe and the stream at the end is nice but otherwise I would prefer some better views. It's an easy hike if that's what you are looking for.

Katy V.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 28 2017
Hiking

It was a beautiful hike. We enjoyed it. Nice views of Lake Tahoe and a beautiful flowing stream at the end.

Daniel Coronado
Hiking

This is a nice trail (s) with some beautiful sites. The only issue that we had was that there are many offshoots and nothing really marking the trail that I could see to help better guide us along the way. We originally planned this as a training run for my daughter to practice her cross country running, but is hard with out a clearly marked trail.

Michael Lafferty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 28 2017

Great hike near Ski Run blvd. Great views. Up and down rolling hills none too difficult. I would hike it again.

Rosalyn Koskin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 20 2017

Awesome trail and views

Jaime Collard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue May 16 2017
Hiking

Difficult parking at the trail head. I wouldn't try this in the winter months when the trail is covered in snow. I did this is March and had a tough time following the map. Went off trail for most of it. Enjoyed a long break at the top with a little view of the lake. So nice to breath the fresh air. First solo hike in a while.