Potrero to Tripeaks Trail

Potrero to Tripeaks Trail is a 9.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newbury Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

A buddy of mine and I did the full loop today. We did it backwards so we could do the hard part first and it was tough but very fun. Much easier to stay on this part of the trail going up. We are definitely doing this loop again

Overall a great experience. I did this route as a trail runner, but the run quickly became a hike. The way up is easily marked and does get a bit rocky in some areas. Views for the top are fantastic and a perfect place to stop for lunch. Beware the second half!! The trail coming down from the peak is tough to follow. I had to refer to this app multiple times to see if I was on the correct route. A few times, I was not. Go slow, be mindful of your direction, and you’ll be fine. Full loop, plus a few accidental detours set me at 11.8 miles. Running when I could, this took about 3 hours

WARNING- We did the whole trail listed here - I would caution against it - after reaching the max elevation the trail down the loop is Unmaintained has many misleading paths and very dangerous - this section is very hard.

Be prepared to up and climb down rock faces

View from top is spectacular and uphill ascent challenging

Full loop will take 5 hours

beautiful trail "backbone"

I hiked this trail a few days ago. The views from the top are phenomenal! The first 3.5 miles is heavily trafficked and well maintained. Once you pass Danielson’s Monument, the trail is no longer maintained by the park service but is easily followed this time of year. There are some scrambling spots and wide crevices where the trail has washed out. We climbed along the face of one of the peaks, which was pretty sketchy but a lot of fun (we took the back side of the peak on the way down). We didn’t go all the way to the third peak and we ended up clocking almost 11 miles out and back from the Potrero parking lot.

The back side of Boney is NO JOKE! I went off trail 4 times scrabbling over the large rock areas. It's early in the season so maybe the trail is better cleared later on. This app was a life saver to get me back on course, but be prepared to use your butt as a sled in parts.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Okay, so this trail combination is quite a mixed bag. The beginning is on broad, heavily used trails up to the Danielson's Monument. From there, you pick up the single track Tri-Peaks trail (unmarked) which is hidden behind the burned down ranch house to the left.

This trail is a refreshing change from the area burned out in the May 2013 fire. Lots of shade, through heavy brush and oak groves at lower elevations. It is washed out in places but easily hiked. I would call it moderate difficulty because of the elevation gain and washed out trail. As you ascend, shade becomes more scarce but you remain outside the fire zone. After a couple false summits and beautiful overlooks you arrive at the summit of Boney, where you can scale the boulders and enjoy a 360-degree view of the Conejo Valley, Oxnard Plain, the Santa Monica Mountains and the Pacific.

Most people turn back and return on the same trail. This guide depicts a loop back to the Old Boney Trail, which looked more interesting. WARNING: this trail is traveled lightly, and is not marked. When you cross rock faces, take care to find the real trail down--it is often obscured and there are a lot of false trails to overlooks. This portion of the trail offers some spectacular views BUT is extremely steep in places, with very poor footing in loose stones and soil. I would rate this section DIFFICULT. Very slow going with a very real risk of falling.

Once you rejoin Old Boney Trail the recommended loop turns left to the Fossil Trail with ascends a portion of Sycamore Canyon before rejoining the trail you started out on. Trail guide says this is a ten mile hike. I suspect it's a bit more. We decided to cut out that loop and turned right on Old Boney, hiking straight back towards Danielson's Monument before hiking back where we started. That turned out to be a 9-mile hike, which took over 5-hours with rest breaks.

Like most hikes in this area, starting early is a big plus, as afternoon heat can be taxing.

Enjoy! Be safe!

Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Tri peaks part of this is VERY TOUGH steep climbs in Ruts, going down requires hands as it is Steep and in ravines grabbing hold of Branches, roots and rocks. Make sure you have Ap or Maps and GPS as its east to lose trail here.... its hard but WELL worth it. see pics in Danielson Monument trail

Saturday, May 13, 2017