Potrero John Creek Trail

Potrero John Creek Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 977 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Ventura: Travel north on Highway 33 for about 32 miles to the trailhead on the right(north) side of the road.

Really beautiful hike!!! Lots of scrambling and the trails is hard to follow after about 2 miles. Overall trail is definitely over 6 miles but the section we did was fun!! Definitely a wonderful trip!

Up to 2 miles back the trail is fine but then the trail gets overgrown and becomes about 4 feet high. You can probably follow the creek up at this point but we chose not to.

recorded Potrero John Trail

Ticks!!!!!!!!!!! Our dog had 25+ ticks on her. We had ticks crawling on all of us. Trail not maintained past the first mile and a half or so. Some of our party made it to the waterfall, but it took much boulder hopping, scrambling through thick, tick infested brush. Trail maintenance is badly needed on this trail.

The trail is really well kept for the first 1.6 miles. There are a lot of river crossings, some easier than others. Given the amount of rain this year, they were a bit more difficult to cross. We turned around about .3 miles from the falls because the trail was too washed out to continue. There are no wildflowers yet, but it was still a beautiful hike. There's also about .1miles of the hike where you walk through some thicker brush that hasn't been cleared, so bring long sleeves.

Have hiked this trail twice. It’s good for beginning backpackers as there is a nice campsite about 1.5 miles in which is the only portion I am rating. After that the trail is hard to follow and there’s little shade, so we didn’t go much further. There are creek crossings when there has been rain and a bit of rock scrambling. Dog was not a fan of the boulder climbing.

I am sorry to say that to me this trail is ok. The begging and the end are pretty but the middle section was not a pleasant experience at all. You need to go through a thick manzanita forest, and since the trail is overgrown, it’s really a challenge. I was difficult to go through this part of the trail without scratching my face or arms. Also, the trail is super hard to find at some pints, so you definitely need your app or a lot of experience. I would have never made it on my own. The end of the trail is a series of cute medium waterfalls and then a decent size one. Very pretty. Despite not offering any views, the pretty forest and the waterfalls at the end make it worth it. I have done lots of hikes in the area and, sadly, this the only one that didn’t impressed me.... Regarding water crossings, you should just get your feet wet from the very beginning because you will definitely get wet!! Enjoy it! :) I hope in the future they will repair the trail. I believe that would make it a lot more enjoyable.

Beautiful hike, a lot of water crossings we went two Days after heavy rains and had to create water crossings, but had a great time definitely worth the drive!

Went back to the waterfall yesterday with a buddy. One other guy on the trail with his dog the entire hike. Lightly snowing in the later afternoon. Some spots along the trail are tough to navigate, as long as you follow the creek you’ll make it to the falls. Overall great hike in cool temps.

beautiful place..... there is a big waterfall very easy hike too

Tue Sep 04 2018

2.5 months back this was my 1st Back Packing trip since 1973. I was diagnosed with heart failure so I am training for the PCT. :-) Great hike in and nice campground. Found that rock arch on the creek. Plenty of Poison Oak....have fun. Going again manana so I will report back on agua !

Mon Aug 20 2018

Trail crosses creek bed, watch for poison oak. Wear long pants and shirt. Much exposure to the sun. Moderate hike in all.

Fri Aug 03 2018

Great trail. You’ll come to an area where you think the trail ends, at this point follow the creek it will guide you back to the trail or just follow the creek to the waterfall. Nice area to hang out by the bottom of the upper falls.

Sat Jun 02 2018

The trail is overgrown in places, sometimes necessitating up close and personal contact with the bushes on either side, but most of it was a lovely walk zigzagging across the creek (which still has water in it). There’s a good bit of scrambling over rocks, but nothing my wobbly ankles couldn’t handle. Bring extra water—it was quite a bit hotter up there than down by the coast.

Sun May 13 2018

Great hike. The trail gets a little hard to follow at times.

Sat Apr 28 2018

Beautiful hike that was a moderate challenge. We ended up scrambling up the river to the waterfall which was slightly more challenging but beautiful. Met some friendly hikers along the way but most of the time was quiet and serene.

Sat Mar 31 2018

The place was beautiful. Parts of the trails were washed out but easy to get back to. The creek was flowing when we went and it added to the already beautiful landscape. There was plenty of shade, the trail isn’t flat therefore it’s truly moderate. Kids and most level hikers can hike it.

Mon Mar 12 2018

Hiked today. The surrounding area is fire damaged and the smell of char and smoke still lingers. This is the only trail in the area that I found still open. There isn’t a parking lot so you have to park on the road. With my car, there were only 3 cars! The trail is easy to follow, you will cross a stream a few times so trekking poles are helpful but not necessary. Nice, easy trail.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Early morning just after a rain had some four legged company alone the way, a family of bears they stayed out in front of me then just disappeared into the brush, very cool.

Fri Jul 07 2017

A relatively easy 1.6 miles. Much less water now. However, lots of native plants, trees and animals to see. Several water crossings, some of which could be difficult for a person who has difficulty with that sort of movement.

Mon May 15 2017

There is a large tree closing off the trail about a mile in, could not find another route. Otherwise very nice hike with lots of water and many stream crossings.

Mon Apr 17 2017

A relaxing and scenic hike that gets you away from the city. There are several creek crossings and two campsites about a mile apart to the right slightly off the trail. Watch out for ticks and poison oak!

Wed Mar 08 2017

great trail. loved all the scenery and the waterfall.

Mon Oct 03 2016