Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great starter hike for beginners looking to train for higher peaks. - Karla @52hikechallenge.com

Great for trail running and dogs. Easy to park and find. Fairly easy hike with water along side you. Great view and sunset:

Another great trail!! The rains have left their mark but the hike is still wonderful.

Slightly tougher than the popular neighboring trail of Claremont wilderness park and roughly the same distance. I like wearing my 20 lb weight vest on this hike to really get my heart pumping. The last .5 mile is a nice incline with a great valley view at the top. On a very clear day you can see the ocean from the pinnacle of the trail. Parking is easy enough and the trail is decently maintained. Very green after a good rain.

I loved this wide trail. It definitely had some incline but I loved the view from the top!

good hike good view, bring a potato for the top of the hike to place with your name or drawings

great cardio workout with Awesome views.

Pretty good hike. Very nice view at top but not that hard.

Make sure to bring a potato!! Fairly easy until the incline. There is a section that splits between the easier longer route to the top or a shortcut but it is really steep! Overall, great scenic hike with an awesome view at the top.

Be prepared for the incline and take some potatoes! The view is worth the hike on a clear smogless day.

hike was great. Be sure to bring a potato up there too. lots of shade. It's about three miles long.

great view at the top. lots of incline at the start but definitely worth it! if you go early in the morning you could enjoy the view alone.

This hike never gets old! I have been doing this hike every other week for the past six months for the exercise and for the fantastic view of valley below this peak. On a very clear day you can see well beyond downtown LA (looking west) and east towards San Bernardino. If you are fortunate to be up there when a marine layer of clouds roll in, the view is much more spectacular! Not much shade so take a hat and be sure to take more than a bottle of water (I normally take at least four bottles - more on warmer days). It amazes me that I see quite a few people hiking up the trail with little or no water!!! On warmer days flying bugs can be a nuisance so repellent would a good idea to take along. The hike itself is doable (I am 62 and slightly overweight) and I have been averaging about 1:10 going up and less than an hour going down. Give it a try!!!

Loved this hike. Awesome views. Much more of a mountain view hike as opposed to the Claremont Loop. Was not too busy on a weekday hike on the trail, however there were alot of people at the peak.

fun, 2 hour round trip and that's with a few quick breaks. def worth doing

Amazing!

As the trail begins, patches of fall color appear accentuated by the soft sounds of a meandering creek… a very pleasant start to cool and cloudy morning. The top of Potato Mountain (3414 ft.) is my destination. It's one of the smaller peaks in the San Gabriel Mountains and it's certainly dwarfed by its snowcapped big brothers. Nevertheless the trail is wide and steady. Following the tradition of my fellow hikers, I leave a commemorative potato on top of the concrete water tank. But before descending back down the trail, I survey the horizon with my eyes and to the west appears the unmistakable LA skyline. And this is quite a hiking treat as the city is over 40 miles away!

Great beautiful trail.

Great hike! It's one that you can fit in when you only have part of a day. I'd say the rating is a bit overstated, it's mostly all at an incline going up, but the path is wide and you can take your time if need be. Views at the top are great, the entire San Gabriel Valley area is on one side, and the San Gabriel mountains on the other.

Fun little hike. Good 1.5-2 hour workout. First half has some nice scenery, second half is mostly scrub brush.

We started our hike at 5:30am when it was still dark. We hiked about two hours. It’s pretty cold this time of year so bring a jacket. We saw some people take a strenuous route but I don’t know where they started from. If you keep to the left you will make it to the top.

Hiked this trail for the first time this morning and it was great. Parking was a little thin by 8:30am on a Sunday but not completely full. Beautiful scenery and plenty of birdwatching to be done throughout this hike, especially near the trailhead. The trail was in good shape most of the way. It became a little more sketchy after the turn toward the summit (away from Claremont Wilderness Park). The sun kept us plenty warm, even in mid-November! Enjoy!

This hike is pretty easy compared to its rating. I did it at night, while recovering from a cold. Going uphill sick wasn’t a joy, but the views are worth it! Most of the trail is well maintained with little rock issues. Once you get to the last half a mile it becomes lose, but still walkable. If you are looking to work on your cardio or sweat out a cold, this is a good hike. I didn’t see “shortcuts,” but from the map, they look similar to the path. The part that would make this rated hard would be the uphill motion, but it’s not difficult. It just pumps your heart. This is good practice for anyone looking to strengthen their heart.

Love the scenery! Difficult but worth it.

EN LO PERSONAL NO LO VEO TAN DIFICIL ... PERO SI LES PUEDO DECIR QUE YA SEA CAMINANDO, SENDERISMO CON MOCHILA DE 40 LIBRAS, CORRIENDO O EN BICICLETA ESAS 2 MILLAS TE HARAN SENTIR QUE VALEN LA PENA

I absolutely love this trail!!!

This is a nice short urban trail. I started near yellow gates, that read "Not An Entrance".
Pros
- Easy Parking
- Well lined trail
- Limited # of people
- Nice views
- Good workout regardless of fitness level.
Cons
- Dirty
- Heat
- Dusty
- Short length
I highly recommend this trail for anyone. Bring enough water, hat, cooling towel, and a potato. Do not leave your potato :).
It can be steep in certain parts if you're not used to trails. Also, do not go during peak heat times if you are not accustomed to the temperature.
Enjoy!

best part about this trail is the free parking! Clairmont P.D let me know to put away any valuables in my trunk to help avoid any thefts. so far so good.