Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

amazing hike to hit before sunrise

Great conditioning hike. I don't recommend being on trail alone at night. The area is known for mountain lions and bears.

We started around 5.30 p.m. and it took 1 hour 25 minutes to reach the top as my wife wanted several breaks. Half way to the top it became totally dark and gloomy. We had to use head lamps to find our way up. We were the only people on the trail along with our german shepherd dog. On our way back it was totally foggy, and we could hardly see each other. We were about 1/4 miles away from the top (way before the turn). Suddenly, I spotted two sparkly eyes 300 feet away ahead of us. With the help of our head lamps, we clearly identified the mountain lion staring at us. I leashed my dog immediately. When we moved forward the lion slowly moved down the hill. We hurriedly made it to the bottom in about 30 minutes, safe.

awesome views at the top

This was our first family hike in about 2 years...a little on the steep side for day one back but doable if you are regularly active. Beautiful clean wide trail. Lots of dust, bring extra water.

It's a fun little hike. If you have a head lamp or good flash light go watch the sun rise! It's beautiful, you'll love it.

Great hike!!! Totaled a little over 5.6 miles. Bring lots of water and don't forget your potatoes!