Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Incredible view if you make it to the top. Gradual elevation gain, steep in a few places. Might encounter wildlife.

Enjoyed the hike. Our first attempt we only made it to the sign where it leads you to potato mountain. It was 1 1/2 miles of incline so we were exhausted. Next tome we will reach the top. Take plenty of water, and hats because there is not much shade except for the beginning.

Awesome trail, 5 miles out and back, amazing views, smells, wildlife and butterflies. Absolutely loved it. Will definitely do again. Rated as hard on All Trails but, pretty easy going except for the last mile the incline is a little intense but definitely doable. Moderate amount of traffic on trail not that many bikes. Worth doing, just take your time, the view at the top is incredible. And don’t forget to bring a potato.

Ok elevation for cardio.....

Hiked to Potato

Watch out for poop! Lots of dogs on this trail. Not that it's a bad thing, just watch your step.

Hiked this trail the other day because we were gonna do Cucamonga peak, but forgot about a prior engagement that morning so we had to get back in a few hours. Damn! Luckily we spotted this trailhead on the way up.

Easy, decent trail when the wildflowers are in bloom, I imagine it's pretty grim otherwise. Moderate elevation gain makes this a nice little workout at a good pace. Nice view of the city at the top, nothing spectacular but it's something. If anything, the view of the mountains along the way are pretty cool, and the sound of the stream below is soothing.

Did the trail yesterday at 6am. Saw only about 3 people until I started my return from the top, then I started seeing a lot more hiking up. Saw many wild flowers. You can hear the creek running on the side of the trail. At this time in the am, the trail is shaded the first 1/3 of the trail. Definitely much nicer than Claremont Loop. Fitbit said I burned 1000 cals, 12,000 steps

Good place to hike. Perfect place for beginners to start working up to longer hikes. If you start your hike in the east of the 5 mile wilderness loop you can work this hike in and make it a 10 mile hike.

Great hike. Lots of hills. Best when it’s overcast. Not a good hike during the summer months. Not much shade after the first 1/4 into the hike.

Great trail. Not too many people. I love the tree lined area in the beginning. Have hiked the face once and that’s a challenge! Not for a beginner for sure.

The first half is partly shaded and very nice with a little stream running in the spring. The top half is steep and in full sun, with great views at the summit. This is not a good hike for the summer. Not as crowded as the Claremont loop. Don't forget to bring a potato.

Great moderate hike. First time here and easy trail to follow.

Loved this hike. View at the end is pretty amazing. Don't forget to take a potato!

I wish I had went during a day where the sun was out. But I definitely enjoyed the hike going up.

Easy, yet not too easy hike with great views for the short trip. Starts off with a forest like path for the first 1/3 of hike, then transitions to exposed mountains and then hills which give a view of eastern LA County. Using this as my training course, just started it. Average 1hr for the 4.5 miles. Good elevation gain per mile.

Great hike. Great view at the end.

Nice and easy. Thankfully not too hot yet.

I made it to the top for the first time last weekend. Not taking any breaks made it a tough challenge.

The scenery at the beginning of the trail looks beautiful in the morning sunlight.

I hiked up the steep section to the south (via the sharp switchback at the beginning of the trail) and jogged down the fireroad on the way back. Great way to spend an afternoon while I was in the area.

Mostly no shade. It actually has two ways to go up to the peak. The direction shows on map is easy but takes longer time to get to the peak. The other one is harder but shorter way to get to the peak. Potatoes are cute! The view is around 270 degree, you can take some rest at the peak, but still no shades.

The trail climbs steady, but it isn’t too long of a hike. The trail is pretty and the view from the top is good. The only downfall was the large amount of trash and crappy toilet paper left behind. There were also a few shady people hanging out on the trail. I say hanging out because they never made it to the top. The trail itself was good and a quick cardio workout.

Amazing hike!

My husband and I completed this hike on March 15 while we were in CA for my cousin's wedding.

The first half of this trail is mostly shaded, with more sun exposure as we climbed higher. It was pretty chilly and a bit breezy even. Moderately steep almost the entire way. Good views of the rear mountains and of the SGV.

There is a small dirt lot by the trail head and a small dirt area across the street that people were using. I didn't have trouble finding a spot at 7:30 on a Saturday morning. My app clocked it at abut 4.4 miles and it should take about 2 1/2 hours total to complete if you are just walking like we did. Most of the walk there is uphill, but it isn't too bad and of course the walk back is downhill and easy. You take the same way back as you do there. When you get to the top there is a round cement area to sit on with the word potato spelled incorrectly (unless you are Dan Quayle). There are great panoramic views. During parts of the hike you can hear the running water from below.

Pros:
- Solid workout
- Close to city
- Expensive views of mountains and city

Cons:
- Crowded
- Fire road (not as interesting as single-track trail)

I really enjoyed this hike. I haven’t been hiking much so it was challenging, I almost turned around a couple of times but kept pushing through.

I went for my first time today. Very beautiful, helped me relax mentally and also a good little physical trail. Definitely coming back!

Tough trail! Great workout. Uphill till you get to top. Beautiful views.

Good quick workout with a great view