Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1284)
Herman Garner Biological Preserve

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,148 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Users have reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

I’ve enjoyed this hike and have done it a few times. It’s perfect as a transition hike from easy to moderate. **I visited on May 28, 2020 and the trail was closed if you’re trying to access from the yellow gate. But I’ve heard you can still hike it if you access from the Claremont loop.

Steep trail towards the top, but worth it when we got to the top. Barely any shade, bring shades/hats.

apparently the city of Claremont closed this entrance because it’s not an “official entrance”.That’s what the city told me.

the parking lots are closed but the trail is open. park south of the trailhead that the damn...no "no parking signs". I went on 5/17.

Not sure why other people are commenting saying this trail is open. All trails at this location are still closed 5/14/20.

Great trail! Did this as a small group back when that was allowed. Fairly easy, seen quite a few people jogging this trail. Dog friendly. We didn’t bring our potatoes but glad I didn’t because there was so many already up there, Funny ones too.. way better than any potato I would have to offer. You can hear the creek just off the trail for the first part of it. It was mostly clean and offers outstanding views.

Really pretty hike, steep in a lot of areas but great views towards the top

Nice trail with a great view at the end. All uphill and Rocky.

Great hike but police officer was waiting by the entrance to make sure no one comes in. Trial is closed :(

Trail closed signs were up but didn’t stop the most amount of people I’ve ever seen on this trail. So awesome to see so many people coming out to hike and enjoy nature.

Went this morning and signs are up saying the trail is closed...

I’ve hiked this 3 or 4 times now. It’s a great hike and definitely not the easiest ever. It’s all uphill from the get go. But gorgeous views on a clear day and my gps watch says it more around 1400 elevation gain. It’s pretty rocky. There’s partial shade and places where there is no shade. So bring plenty of H2O. Today I was extremely disgusted by the graffiti. This is not the hike I’ve known and come to love. I’m sick of hood rats making their mark on our gorgeous nature areas. What these hood rats don’t realize is that n many areas when they graffiti close to a stream of creek they are contaminating our water resources. The exact water that comes out of our tap and we drink. Please stop tagging nature! It’s not cool! Grow up!

Great trail, all up hill, especially after the turn. Good amounts of shade

great work out trail. it's wide, easy to follow and great views. I went on a Wednesday, and I saw about 30 people.

Great trail. Good amount of rocks and bring a decorative potato for the top of the mountain lol

water trail back

Great trail for dogs. Starts with a good incline right away. Great trail for hamstrings and quads.

Decent elevation , but really crowded

Good view on the top. Please note there is no restroom at the trail head or through out the trail.

This is a great intermediate trial. It’s up hill all the way to the top. I added 2 1/2 miles to the trial by taking the Montclair loop connection. Lots of people on both trails. Best to do in the early morning less insects.

Walked up via the road and ridge, down on the road. Hailed out two bags of trash. Note to dog owners: leaving a bag of shit on the side of the road is still wrong.

great family hike. kid friendly.

This was a beautiful hike, incline most f the way up, but totally worth it.

Beautiful trail. Very steep. I would do it again

Nice Trail.. BUT... LEAVE NO TRACE. Do NOT BRING A POTATO TO LEAVE BEHIND. LEAVE NO TRACE. I get it.. its a cute thing to do.. but, lets let nature be nature.

Decent workout + nice view. My default trail

Awesome workout and don’t forget to bring a potato to leave behind