Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Tough trail! Great workout. Uphill till you get to top. Beautiful views.

Good quick workout with a great view

I liked this trail.
Cons:
Some exposed areas could be super hot in summer.
A lot of people/not a walk for solitude.
Bikes zoom down the path, listen for bike warnings.
When the turnouts are full it can be hard to park.
Not long enough to be a day hike.
Pros:
Pretty trees and rocks along the shaded areas.
Great uphill cardio.
Wide walking path that feels stable (some slightly loose sandy areas)
A lot of people so you feel safe.
Short enough to get a good morning workout and still have your day left ahead of you.
The view at the top is panoramic.
You feel accomplished when you reach the top.

Bring your adventure pass for parking and lots of water.

Great for cardio work out...

Got there early! The incline was a bit tough but I pushed through!

Get there early. Limited parking. Good steady incline the whole way. you need a Wilderness Pass.

Great hike to do alone or with friends. A lot of incline, but the view at the top is well worth it!

Prepare for incline pretty much half the time.

This trail is great from Evey Canyon and from the Claremont loop! EC was an easy going, early morning ‘we want to get in and get out so we can get some pancakes ASAP’, but CL was a nice little challenge. It does get very hot from the CL side with little shade, but EC is nicely shaded all the way up!

Great trail for moderate hike! Dogs do well!

Nice wide trail to the top.

i found this rather difficult....but then again i am out of shape lol. I completed it though, so its all that matters!! woot woot!

Took our dog up the main trail, great hike. Next time we’ll take poles and the steep cut through trail - without the dog.

Love this hike! My friend introduced me to the shortcut that has a steep incline but is well worth it!

It was a lot of fun and very good exercise for my friend who hasn’t gone hiking in a long time!

Underrated but beautiful hike in a gorgeous setting with a great view at the end!

hit the trails to kick off 2018. this was my first time there and I'm very happy my cousin introduced us to it. It was pretty steady with hikers and cyclists. Can't wait to go again.

We hiked in at 4:30 a.m. and enjoyed the sunrise. The city lights were spectacular.

My kids and I hiked in at 5AM and watched the sunrise over hot chocolate. Good times.

Perhaps my new favorite trail for quick 80min workout. Love the fact that parking is free (very limited parking). Much steeper than Claremont Loop. Lots of shade for the first 1.5 mi.