Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stumbled across this hike by chance and loved it! Great intensity, good shade, and long enough to be a good workout. Pretty cool potatoes people leave up there dressed up lol

love the trail, and the amazing views it has once you make it to potatoe mountain, highly recommend it, you won't regret it!

Loved this hike! Not to crazy. Nice steady elevation gain! A great view of many peaks from the top! Bring your decorated potato for a good time!

Awesome took my 7 year old and my 2yr old hiking. They both loved it and got a good challenge of a workout today. They both knocked out at the car right away. Took 3 mini potatoes to the cliff with Acorn hats awesome experience.

me and the doggies love this trail

I loved this hike! It has a consistant and somewhat challenging incline but most of the trail is shaded. There are great photo ops at the top so bring your camera!

Steady incline but not too hard. Beautiful scenery.

Great practice hike for beginners.

amazing hike to hit before sunrise

Great conditioning hike. I don't recommend being on trail alone at night. The area is known for mountain lions and bears.

We started around 5.30 p.m. and it took 1 hour 25 minutes to reach the top as my wife wanted several breaks. Half way to the top it became totally dark and gloomy. We had to use head lamps to find our way up. We were the only people on the trail along with our german shepherd dog. On our way back it was totally foggy, and we could hardly see each other. We were about 1/4 miles away from the top (way before the turn). Suddenly, I spotted two sparkly eyes 300 feet away ahead of us. With the help of our head lamps, we clearly identified the mountain lion staring at us. I leashed my dog immediately. When we moved forward the lion slowly moved down the hill. We hurriedly made it to the bottom in about 30 minutes, safe.

awesome views at the top

This was our first family hike in about 2 years...a little on the steep side for day one back but doable if you are regularly active. Beautiful clean wide trail. Lots of dust, bring extra water.

It's a fun little hike. If you have a head lamp or good flash light go watch the sun rise! It's beautiful, you'll love it.

Great hike!!! Totaled a little over 5.6 miles. Bring lots of water and don't forget your potatoes!

I recently got into hiking and wanted to do something out in the Claremont area and this trail didn't disappoint. I went on a Monday evening at around 6 and found parking in the turnout next to the trail entrance. There are other turnouts you can park in, but only from 6 AM 'til midnight.

The flora along the trail are absolutely beautiful... lost of lush, green trees of various shapes and sizes, dense forest areas that stretch out into the distant mountains. At one point I heard water gently flowing in a creek down below, but couldn't see it.

The trail is a consistent incline, so you'll definitely work up a sweat, but there are points where the path flattens out as well as many little resting spots. About halfway through the hike you'll reach a fork. Take a left to continue up Potato Mountain and see some of the most wonderful views of the Inland Empire. It was smoggy when I went, so I wasn't able to see as far as Los Angeles as others have, but the sight was still spectacular.

Fair warning, I got to the peak of the mountain by sunset, so it was nearly pitch black coming down. It was a bit unsettling for me, so I recommend bringing a flashlight if you're out there at night time. The bugs were relentlessly annoying, but once I fired up my iPod they were no longer a problem. Ooh, and take water.

I love this hike. Going to Potato Mountain via East Face was amazing. I loved the inclined gaining 1300+ ft of elevation was superb. Via East Face, the trail was very steep, slippery and the made it HARD to hiking. I recommend this trail for the experience hiker. Once we reached to the top of Potato Mountain then we took Evey Canyon MTWY to go down. So, we did atleast 3.5 miles for this hike. What I like about taking the Eas Face going up was the scenery. The sunrise, the view of the city were very astonishing. View was just breathing. Definitely going back again.

It's a good local hike. Nice oak trees and stream at the beginning of the trail. However it is just the fire road up to the top of the hill. Makes a good everyday hike.

Great little hike

We must have looked like flowers to the bees... got chased twice. The hike was a bit strenuous (the entire trail being an uphill battle) and the summer heat unfortunately did not make it much easier! The path was clearly defined and there weren't many people on the trail. I would definitely recommend doing this hike in cooler weather since there is very little shade except for the very beginning. If you enjoy hiking, try out this trail for a small challenge. The view on the top of the mountain isn't anything extraordinary, but it sure is a pretty view!