Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

i found this rather difficult....but then again i am out of shape lol. I completed it though, so its all that matters!! woot woot!

Took our dog up the main trail, great hike. Next time we’ll take poles and the steep cut through trail - without the dog.

Love this hike! My friend introduced me to the shortcut that has a steep incline but is well worth it!

It was a lot of fun and very good exercise for my friend who hasn’t gone hiking in a long time!

hit the trails to kick off 2018. this was my first time there and I'm very happy my cousin introduced us to it. It was pretty steady with hikers and cyclists. Can't wait to go again.

We hiked in at 4:30 a.m. and enjoyed the sunrise. The city lights were spectacular.

My kids and I hiked in at 5AM and watched the sunrise over hot chocolate. Good times.

Perhaps my new favorite trail for quick 80min workout. Love the fact that parking is free (very limited parking). Much steeper than Claremont Loop. Lots of shade for the first 1.5 mi.

Stumbled across this hike by chance and loved it! Great intensity, good shade, and long enough to be a good workout. Pretty cool potatoes people leave up there dressed up lol

love the trail, and the amazing views it has once you make it to potatoe mountain, highly recommend it, you won't regret it!

Loved this hike! Not to crazy. Nice steady elevation gain! A great view of many peaks from the top! Bring your decorated potato for a good time!

Awesome took my 7 year old and my 2yr old hiking. They both loved it and got a good challenge of a workout today. They both knocked out at the car right away. Took 3 mini potatoes to the cliff with Acorn hats awesome experience.

me and the doggies love this trail

I loved this hike! It has a consistant and somewhat challenging incline but most of the trail is shaded. There are great photo ops at the top so bring your camera!

Steady incline but not too hard. Beautiful scenery.

Great practice hike for beginners.

amazing hike to hit before sunrise

Great conditioning hike. I don't recommend being on trail alone at night. The area is known for mountain lions and bears.

We started around 5.30 p.m. and it took 1 hour 25 minutes to reach the top as my wife wanted several breaks. Half way to the top it became totally dark and gloomy. We had to use head lamps to find our way up. We were the only people on the trail along with our german shepherd dog. On our way back it was totally foggy, and we could hardly see each other. We were about 1/4 miles away from the top (way before the turn). Suddenly, I spotted two sparkly eyes 300 feet away ahead of us. With the help of our head lamps, we clearly identified the mountain lion staring at us. I leashed my dog immediately. When we moved forward the lion slowly moved down the hill. We hurriedly made it to the bottom in about 30 minutes, safe.

awesome views at the top