Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was our first family hike in about 2 years...a little on the steep side for day one back but doable if you are regularly active. Beautiful clean wide trail. Lots of dust, bring extra water.

It's a fun little hike. If you have a head lamp or good flash light go watch the sun rise! It's beautiful, you'll love it.

Great hike!!! Totaled a little over 5.6 miles. Bring lots of water and don't forget your potatoes!

I recently got into hiking and wanted to do something out in the Claremont area and this trail didn't disappoint. I went on a Monday evening at around 6 and found parking in the turnout next to the trail entrance. There are other turnouts you can park in, but only from 6 AM 'til midnight.

The flora along the trail are absolutely beautiful... lost of lush, green trees of various shapes and sizes, dense forest areas that stretch out into the distant mountains. At one point I heard water gently flowing in a creek down below, but couldn't see it.

The trail is a consistent incline, so you'll definitely work up a sweat, but there are points where the path flattens out as well as many little resting spots. About halfway through the hike you'll reach a fork. Take a left to continue up Potato Mountain and see some of the most wonderful views of the Inland Empire. It was smoggy when I went, so I wasn't able to see as far as Los Angeles as others have, but the sight was still spectacular.

Fair warning, I got to the peak of the mountain by sunset, so it was nearly pitch black coming down. It was a bit unsettling for me, so I recommend bringing a flashlight if you're out there at night time. The bugs were relentlessly annoying, but once I fired up my iPod they were no longer a problem. Ooh, and take water.