Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail

Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I recently got into hiking and wanted to do something out in the Claremont area and this trail didn't disappoint. I went on a Monday evening at around 6 and found parking in the turnout next to the trail entrance. There are other turnouts you can park in, but only from 6 AM 'til midnight.

The flora along the trail are absolutely beautiful... lost of lush, green trees of various shapes and sizes, dense forest areas that stretch out into the distant mountains. At one point I heard water gently flowing in a creek down below, but couldn't see it.

The trail is a consistent incline, so you'll definitely work up a sweat, but there are points where the path flattens out as well as many little resting spots. About halfway through the hike you'll reach a fork. Take a left to continue up Potato Mountain and see some of the most wonderful views of the Inland Empire. It was smoggy when I went, so I wasn't able to see as far as Los Angeles as others have, but the sight was still spectacular.

Fair warning, I got to the peak of the mountain by sunset, so it was nearly pitch black coming down. It was a bit unsettling for me, so I recommend bringing a flashlight if you're out there at night time. The bugs were relentlessly annoying, but once I fired up my iPod they were no longer a problem. Ooh, and take water.

I love this hike. Going to Potato Mountain via East Face was amazing. I loved the inclined gaining 1300+ ft of elevation was superb. Via East Face, the trail was very steep, slippery and the made it HARD to hiking. I recommend this trail for the experience hiker. Once we reached to the top of Potato Mountain then we took Evey Canyon MTWY to go down. So, we did atleast 3.5 miles for this hike. What I like about taking the Eas Face going up was the scenery. The sunrise, the view of the city were very astonishing. View was just breathing. Definitely going back again.

It's a good local hike. Nice oak trees and stream at the beginning of the trail. However it is just the fire road up to the top of the hill. Makes a good everyday hike.

Great little hike