New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Potato Mountain from Claremont Wilderness Park

Potato Mountain from Claremont Wilderness Park is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,978 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great workout going up to Potato! Beautiful views of the city and mountains.

Calm trail! A great uphill trail. I went on 12/14 after the rain. No mud but it was quite foggy so the view was completely gray, yet still beautiful.

Good times. Watch out for bikers. Takes about 4 hours with some breaks.

Not the most thrilling hike in the world, but a good work out. Bring a potato with you if your so inclined.

Nice incline up to Potato Mountain. Had heard in the past people had left potatoes at the peak but today there weren’t any!! :( Not much shade but enjoyable hike...good work-out!

I did this hike last week! Although there wasn’t much of a view because if the fog, I’m glad I did it. Short and sweet, out and back

Not the greatest views but it was definitely a workout. Not much shade so make sure you get out there early. Trail conditions are good at certain points it does get pretty rocky but other than that the trail is well marked and maintained

personally I would rate this trail as strenuous, it's nine miles and the first half is all uphill with little shade, I guess it depends on your fitness level and the weather, it was pushing 80 when we did it and full sun, I would suggest start early and bring plenty of water, great view at the top

A nice trail, a good 9+ miles. Great for a group as it is a wide as a one lane road, so makes it easy to talk. Good views at various points too.

I went on a sunny day 65-70s so it was great weather! There’s definitely less traffic than the Claremont Loop. It gets a bit rocky and steep about a mile from the peak. Overall, it’s a good incline hiking trail and definitely do-able for an intermediate hiker like myself!

BEWARE OF PARKING RULES. As others have mentioned, parking can be an issue if you don't get there early. It's $7 and max time is 4 hours, and this is VERY strictly enforced. We made it back 20 min after my parking pass expired and I had a $50 ticket. Definitely ruined the post hike high. So if you plan on doing the whole 10ish mile hike, make sure you make it back before your 4 hours are up or you will get a ticket. Other than that, the hike itself was good. Great views of the city and surrounding mountains. My little dachshund was able to make it pretty much the whole way, so as long as you bring lots of water for your pup, it's pretty dog friendly. But also be aware that we ran in to several people with their dogs off leash. Please keep your dog on leash! Even if your dog is friendly, that doesn't mean every other dog appreciates it when a strange dog sprints up to them. One off leash dog walked over to us growling and the owners barely did anything. Not thrilled about that. This is a very popular and busy trail, however I saw minimal trash and the trail was well maintained, so that was a plus.

This was a fun trail - pretty steady uphill on the way up and very exposed (no shade) so was pretty hot. The view at the top is lovely, panorama of mountains and city. Bring a potato to put at the top, I guess that’s a thing! The parking lots at the bottom are $7 and were full up by 9:30 am, I got the last spot.

Sun Dec 30 2018

One of my favs!

Fri Dec 21 2018

Hilly and fun!!

Sat Jul 14 2018

Great trail! View from top is magnificent, take lots of water and maybe a power bar if you’re hiking the entire trail.. 11 miles total..

Sun May 20 2018

2 parking lots, upper and lower. we arrived upper lot at about 730am but it's almost full. $5 a parking permit, only valid for 4hr!!! we didn't realize time was so tight for a 9miles roundtrip!! steep uphill but easy plain trail , just 1mile with small rocks and luckily it was foggy and humid in the morning. good place for bicycling too

Sat May 05 2018

This trail is my favorite trail. There are lots of trees and shade. Several birds and squirrels can be seen by the trail. There is a nice Creek that runs by the trail and you can hear it as you hike. There are a ton of rocks on this trail. you definitely need cushion shoes. This trail is also popular. It takes about an 1.5 to do if you're a fast hiker (not quite running speeds). I will continue to go on this hike

Mon Apr 02 2018

amazing hike. read some reviews about being kid friendly. it is for older kids, 8 and up. don't bring a stroller and be prepared for steep climbs. We struggled with a stroller but we also didn't do enough investigation before we decided to hike this trail. I would do it again but little kid free!!! view is amazing.

Sat Jan 13 2018

pretty much uphill all the way up

Tue Dec 26 2017

12/24/17. This is my 2nd time doing this out and back in the last 7 days. I absolutely love this hike. Takes me just under 3 hrs. Its a good workout with solid elevation gain. Parking is $3 on weekdays and $5 on weekends. Bring a major credit card. Start by going right just after the trailhead towards Evey.