Potato Harbor Trail

Potato Harbor Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ventura, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Potato Harbor Trail is an moderate to easy hike and the views are spectacular of the Santa Cruz Island Coast. This hike is well worth doing, best in the spring when everything is blooming and it is not too hot. This day the ride over was a little tough with the swells but not too bad. There is an orientation you should do after getting off the boat, then you can do whatever you had planned. I immediately hit the trail up to the bluff overlooking Scorpion Harbor, then out to Potato Harbor overlook. Bring plenty of water especially if you are hiking inland, hotter away from coast.
Enjoy.

Virtual Treadmill video of this hike can be seen on my YouTube Channel, copy and paste link below to watch it. Thanks.

A nice, easy hike with gorgeous views the whole way! I was lucky enough to see a peregrine falcon perching on some of the cliffs along the trail. Make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen and water because there is nowhere to stop in the shade on this trail.

This is a beautiful hike with great views along the coast. I saw an island scrub jay and island fox, too. Easy hike and something that a family could do.

Not a difficult hike, but it can get pretty warm in the direct sun. Great views along the trail until you make your way down towards the boat launch area. Good quick hike to do if you are only on the island for the day.

The hike wasn't hard at all and you'll get plenty of picture opportunities once you get to the end.

Potato Harbor was amazing at sunset! We were camping in the upper loop and left for Potato Harbor about an hour before sundown. We took the coastal trail instead of the harbor road in both directions, and there was breathtaking scenery throughout! Be sure to stay after sunset to catch the best colors. You can read more about our trip on my blog: https://tellmeabootit.wordpress.com/2018/05/16/santa-cruz-island-channel-islands-national-park/

Started from the Cavern Point trailhead and added an additional mile of amazing views along the bluffs. Had plenty of time for the trail, a long break at the overlook, and a chance to relax on the beach before the boat returned to the dock.

Trail was busy with other daytrippers. Great views. Caterpillars, birds, and some friendly bees. Good hike for kids as it is quite level with minimal elevation gain.

This is the prettiest family hike if you are in the Scorpion Beach area. It is an easy hike and the views are spectacular. Definitely worth your time, especially if you area a daytripper and only have time to do one quick hike. Our group seen an island fox in hunting action.

We added the Cavern Point Loop hike for an extra 1 1/2 to 2 miles.

This was an easy hike with spectacular views of the coastline. We saw the island foxes, a bush sunflower, lizards, and heard the seals barking as we peered down the steep cliffs of Potato Harbor.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

This was the first hike I've ever done. Not only did I challenge myself but reaching potato harbor made it totally worth it. I love the California mountains and to have hiked starting from the second camp ground area made my entire trip spectacular! One of the coolest and most memorable things I've done next to walking on a glacier in Alaska ! WOW!!!!! Channel Islands are not to be missed - will definitely go again

Saturday, July 15, 2017

We went to Potato Harbor, it was so foggy, we couldn't see the cove below. It was time for a snack, we sat and within 10 minutes, the turquoise water appeared before us. Only to disappear again quickly. It was spectacular. We returned by the north bluffs and down to the Scorpion cove.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Easy and quite trail..

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Fantastic views of stunning cliffs and the great open Pacific Ocean and vast landscapes. Gorgeous at sunset.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Easy hike that mostly follows the cliff edge with great ocean and island views. Look for the endangered island fox around the campground near the trails beginning. Can be windy.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

We hiked to potato harbor, though we did not use this exact trail because the first part of it runs through the valley which is very hot in July. We took the steep trail up the wells at the far end of the lower campground up to Cavern Point and hiked the islands coastline out to potato harbor from there. It was a bit further...maybe 6 miles or so, but worth it. Beautiful views & cool breezes.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Amazing!
I now understand why the Channel Islands are known as the North American Gallapagos! The trail offers many scenic views and can be modified to the ability of the individual hiker. Off-trail hiking is easily accomplished close to the Trail. Biggest piece of advice: Make sure the forcast is calling for a clear day with much visibility.