Potato Harbor Trail

Potato Harbor Trail is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Ventura, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round.

This was an easy hike with spectacular views of the coastline. We saw the island foxes, a bush sunflower, lizards, and heard the seals barking as we peered down the steep cliffs of Potato Harbor.

This was the first hike I've ever done. Not only did I challenge myself but reaching potato harbor made it totally worth it. I love the California mountains and to have hiked starting from the second camp ground area made my entire trip spectacular! One of the coolest and most memorable things I've done next to walking on a glacier in Alaska ! WOW!!!!! Channel Islands are not to be missed - will definitely go again

We went to Potato Harbor, it was so foggy, we couldn't see the cove below. It was time for a snack, we sat and within 10 minutes, the turquoise water appeared before us. Only to disappear again quickly. It was spectacular. We returned by the north bluffs and down to the Scorpion cove.

Easy and quite trail..

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Fantastic views of stunning cliffs and the great open Pacific Ocean and vast landscapes. Gorgeous at sunset.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Easy hike that mostly follows the cliff edge with great ocean and island views. Look for the endangered island fox around the campground near the trails beginning. Can be windy.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

We hiked to potato harbor, though we did not use this exact trail because the first part of it runs through the valley which is very hot in July. We took the steep trail up the wells at the far end of the lower campground up to Cavern Point and hiked the islands coastline out to potato harbor from there. It was a bit further...maybe 6 miles or so, but worth it. Beautiful views & cool breezes.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Amazing!
I now understand why the Channel Islands are known as the North American Gallapagos! The trail offers many scenic views and can be modified to the ability of the individual hiker. Off-trail hiking is easily accomplished close to the Trail. Biggest piece of advice: Make sure the forcast is calling for a clear day with much visibility.