Learn more

Potato Chip Rock via Mt. Woodson Trail [CLOSED]

hard(4444)
Lake Poway Park

Potato Chip Rock via Mt. Woodson Trail [CLOSED] is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Poway, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,106 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

fee

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19. One of the most popular trails for photo ops and scenic views of the Pacific Ocean, this steep and narrow hike up to Potato Chip Rock and Mount Woodson summit is a must-do for locals and visitors alike. Located in northern San Diego county, the Mount Woodson trailhead starts at the end of Lake Poway Road at Lake Poway and offers hikers, climbers and trail runners a challenging trail up to the famous potato chip boulder and Mount Woodson Summit. This is a great place for a good workout and training for long hikes and runs. This is a very exposed trail so please bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Lake Poway PARKING IS FREE during the week- (weekends and holidays it's $10.00 for non- Poway residents)

Trail is closed as of 3/26/2020

pretty dope hike with great views, uphill so it's tough.

Uphill, about 6 miles

Uphill, about 6 miles

This is a great trail! Did this on 3-17-20..... Typically crowded however we chose to do this one during covid 19, during the week and it was raining slightly. Took us about 4 hours. No line up top to take pictures on the rock. Good amount of up hill but not to bad. Beautiful views.

potato chip rock

I absolutely love this trail! It’s moderate to hard for those who struggle with high altitude and a consistent steep climb. Your calves, legs, and glutes will definitely be sore the next day. The view at the top is breathtaking!

I walked, I ran, I cried, but ultimately I the ending is all that matters. just kidding it was a great beautiful hike.

First timer on this trail, awesome views well maintained trail with an cool photo opportunity

Beautiful views. I started early the weather was outstanding . The trail warmed up nicely as the hike progressed. I enjoyed the rock stairs nature provided. I felt the difficulty level of the trail was 2.5 out of 5. Hiked up, ran down. My biggest challenge was at the summit - the leap from one rock to the potato chip rock. I waivered at the top for a good 45m to jump or not to jump, many hikers offered to help me and cheered me on. I couldn’t do it. I didn’t get the money shot but I met a lot of super nice people. I had a fantastic hike!! I drank 24oz of Tailwind and 16oz of water out of 2liters.. hydration is key. Pack your courage- I left mine at home!

Great workout, this is all incline 4 miles up... potato chip rock has a 45-1hr wait line for a picture on it. The view from the top of mountain is amazingly beautiful. Great for leg day

its a hard inclined trail, but its absolutely worth it. Great view. That iconic picture on Potato Chip Rock is awesome!!

fee

Unfortunately there is a fee to park on the weekends. other than that, this is a great hike with lots of cool views. Potato chip is a bit over-hyped for a small thing rock, but I get it. If you get there early or are lucky, you wo t have to wait in line to take a pic with the chip.

Had two separate close encounters with rattlesnakes. Otherwise an amazing day and a must-do

Amazing hike with good views!! I went in a weekday and even then there was lots of people. Parking charge at lake Poway on weekends. https://californiathroughmylens.com/potato-chip-rock-mt-woodson-summit-san-diego/ for details on hike so you don’t get lost :)

Very nice hike!! Get there early or Potato Chip Rock will be VERY crowded. Especially since there’s multiple ways up. Trail was very well maintained. A bit of trash, but not much considering how many people hike that trail. I picked up what trash I saw though.

Great trail! About 4 miles up and then 4 back down. Bring lots of water! Note: the actual potato chip rock requires jumping onto it from the rock next to it and also sliding down it to get off so wearing leggings or pants, not shorts!