Pole Mountain via Sea to Sky Trail

Pole Mountain via Sea to Sky Trail is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jenner, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a spectacular hike especially in the winter. Diablo, Tamalpais and Mt. St. Helena were all visible. I’m glad I brought my Aqua Mira with me since I only brought two liters of water. The creek at the bottom of the canyon was flowing well.
If you are looking for sweeping views, diverse ecosystems and a great workout, this hike is for you.

Awesome day hike. Challenging but very worth it. Incredible views of the Pacific Ocean at the beginning. You then dip into the redwoods before climbing about 1800’ to the summit of pole mountain. On top you have 360 degree views. Very well maintained path. About 4000 elevation gain and descent on my route and 18 miles. Sea to Sky on the way up and side trail of Russian gulch on way back (steep section out of Russian gulch). Stream crossing before pole Mtn climb was running well. Next time I will bring Sawyer filter and pack 2L instead of 4L of water (I drink a lot). Sun exposure the whole time besides brief redwood section. Highly reccomended. Pick a clear day the views are awesome. Took me close to 8 hours with a 30lb pack and weighing 300lbs+ with lunch and breaks. Gate opens at 8AM and locks at sunset.

Hiked in about 4 hours but only because a ranger was afraid I wouldn’t make it before the sunset so I really hauled ass. Otherwise I’d plan for 5-6 hours. Also, saw a mountain lion in the area (far enough away from the trail to still hike but keep an eye out). Really great views of the ocean, looks great at sunset. And fun drive to the actual hike.

It’s a great walk with changing terrain and great views, especially at the summit. 25.5 kms in 5 hrs 26 minutes- including 30 minutes lunch at the top and chatting on route. There are cattle on route but very quiet Belted Galloway’s. Saw a young bobcat too and mountain lions have been sighted lately. The trail head parking lot fills up quick and not RV friendly. Take water! 2 litres per person for December, even. There is one creek crossing but it isn’t too deep. Highly recommend!

Great park. The trail is long but mostly smooth fire roads. Very well maintained. Took 7 hours including break for lunch and time to enjoy the spectacular views. 16 miles according to my gps.

15 miles but well worth it. It’s the length not the terrain that makes this Hard. No poison oak to worry about. However, very high exposure (~70%) and no water stations enroute so pack it in. Dogs welcome in all lower areas; just not beyond the Pole Summit gate. This is a privately owned park with Public access. Very well maintained. I encourage hikers to check it out. Gate locks for the night at Sunset.

This trail has the best trail markers I have ever seen showing the trail path.
There is a lot of sun so be prepared, bring 2 to 3 liters of water..
The 360 degree view when you reach the summit is incredible.
Expect about 6 1/2 Hour hike + stops
The gate for the parking lot gets locked at sunset.

This is a pretty cool hike. You get to see a couple different landscapes and dropping into the forest setting is really nice and a great reward from potential sun. Long stretches offer very little shade so on a hot day this could be rough. I'd say this leans more on the moderate side of hard. Yes it's long and has a good deal of elevation but it never feels that bad. If you're an avid hiker this shouldn't be to bad for you. Views from the summit are great and you get nice views on the way back of the ocean too. Very nice hike, I'd definitely recommend if you're in the area. We completed a little under 6 hours with a break at the peak for lunch. This isn't 15 miles though, if you stay on track it'll end up almost exactly 16 miles.