Point Sal Overlook

Point Sal Overlook is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Casmalia, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Parking was easy at the trail head. Despite the heavy fog it was a very enjoyable hike. The fog gave it a peaceful, but eerie feel-like zombies were waiting just beyond the bend! Not one I would do alone. We endured for the payoff of the coastline view peeking through the fog at the end. There are some steep hills and uneven terrain so people with knee issues beware. To the guy with the stroller with the kid in it making his way back uphill--props to you!

Love this trial. Not too hard but you'll get your workout in for the most part. Beautiful views of you stick in there. (Don't go too late - when the sun goes down it is super sketchy - you can't see anything.) I do this hike all the time! Highly recommend.

well worth the hike

Super fun, hike really doesn't start till after the gate

The hike had the best views that I have seen. However, I was nervous about leaving my car since so many have had their cars broken into. There was glass in two different spots from the previous break ins. The trail is a wide track and is mostly paved. The incline is slow and steady, but is more intense on the way back. The views are spectacular and you def are secluded. I couldn't get down to the beach, but if you can you would have it all to yourself. Bring a jacket because the wind causes temp fluctuations.

Breathtaking hike! One of the most beautiful around.....BEWARE OUR CAR WAS BROKEN INTO!!!!

This trail should be rated as MODERATE. It's a wide and often paved trail. Good views of the Pt Sal State Beach Park (!). Getting down to the beach at the end is a sketchy - we opted out and ate our lunch on the little overlook.

Great trail, I would recommend it to anyone. For anyone saying this trail is difficult or a workout is mistaken. The trail is a extreamly gradual, both up and down. Wide enough for two vehicles to pass side by side and paved on the 2nd half down to the lookout point. The only difficult part is the last .01 mile where, if you want to go to the beach, requires some scrambling due to a steep decline and loose rocks. If you want to make the hike more difficult, there some unpaved switchbacks that are much steeper than the regular trail.

I recommend bringing extra water and lunch or a snack. The trail does take a few hour to accomplish at a leisurely pace.

Disclaimer: Take out what you take in.
I had to pick up 4 water bottles on the trail and some small wrappers.

This was a great hike to clock miles in preparation for an upcoming backpacking trip. Not much to look at other than cows and grass for the beginning but the ocean views and trip down to the beach make it well worth it. I imagine in the spring it's amazing. I give it a lower rating because I don't know that I would do it again after seeing 3-4 cars in the parking broken into and a ton of windows smashed and a ton stuff stolen. Just really sad and not something I want to worry about when I'm out hiking :(

I have been hiking out to Point Sal beach since I was 12 years old with my father. Starts off at the end of a dirt road and curves up the mountain side on an old road. It's pretty much mellow incline half the way and then mellow decline the other half. About a 5 mile trip to the beach, the trail down to the beach used to be a bit safer but the years have taken it back it can quote hazardous if you don't get the right footing. Definitely recommend this trail if you in the area and want to spend the day out hiking. Bring water and some grub!

Has a nice view of the ocean towards the end.