Point Reyes Extended Loop is a 45.9 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 45.9 km Elevation Gain: 1,447 m Route Type: Loop

beach

A ~30 mile loop touring much of Point Reyes, with nearly 15 miles just along its beautiful coastline. Gets a little crowded around the Alamere Falls, but most of the trip is very lightly trafficked. Beautiful views of the ocean from from beach level and from 1200 feet of elevation.

Overall, a really nice hike. A few down trees but nothing too difficult to maneuver. Bring layers. VERY MUDDY. I did the hike in trail runners but my feet were soaked within 2 miles of the trailhead.

Trail is nothing special. It is nicely marked and maintained. There was water faucet at each camping point, but there was not any sign indicating it is drinkable or not! I drank it anyway. There are lots of mosquitos! I just saw a very little cute rabbit and some birds. I didn’t see any other animals. I took some short cuts, and finished 22 miles in a day (9AM-6PM). The whole trail is like 30 miles which I don’t think can be finished in one daylight, then if you are going there take camping gears.

I did this loop with 4 friends. The parts we liked the most are Alamere Falls and sculpture Beach. Of course, we also love the forests.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Knocked this one out in a day. Scenery was beautiful - the trail was well-marked and well maintained.

Thu Mar 21 2019

Just completed this one with a couple friends 3-21 - 3-23. We had a lot of fun. We didn't do the exact trail on here but still ended up clocking about 28.5 miles over 3 days. Wildcat is an awesome campground. Stayed at site 5 and it was pretty solid. Good privacy and space for a few tents. Make sure you get a fire permit at the visitor center so you can get a fire going on the beach, just be aware of the tides. We also day hiked to Alamere Falls (5 miles trip) and it was awesome. The falls are raging right now. Next day we packed up and headed out to Coast camp. We stayed at site 12 and it seemed pretty cool. It ended up raining basically the entire day so spent most of the day in tents. Seemed like a cool campground but didn't get to enjoy it much. The hiking was good. It's a pretty steady hike and not that hard. I'd say a great trip for a beginner backpacker. There's some elevation but nothing that hard to handle. A lot of mud on the trails right now and be aware of poison oak. Overall, super enjoyable. I'd love to do this again with better weather and take advantage of the fires on the beach, that's an awesome perk in this area.

Sat Aug 04 2018

All of the camps have potable water and are well spaced. I carried a water filter but did not need to use it. Lake Ranch Trail is very overgrown but easily passable. No issues with ticks despite the high grass. Other trails are all very well maintained and appear to have been cut back recently. This was a really enjoyable walk, lots of variety and overall not too difficult. Primarily shaded just the short beachfront section has little. I went anti-clockwise to try and get down the water with reasonably early morning light. Additionally it’s always nice not to be stuck with a heavy uphill right at the end. I’d swap the short jaunt to the lake for a walk down to Alamere Falls. It’s worth a quick look but expect it to be busy.

Fri May 12 2017

Everything promised! If I were to go again, I would bring more water resistant gear, not because of rain but because of high wet brush.

Tue Apr 04 2017

Beautiful way to see the full coast line, hills, and lakes of the area.

recorded Recording - Jul 28, 01:00 PM