Point Lobos Loop Trail

Point Lobos Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carmel-by-the-Sea, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Sea lions, shore birds and more share this gorgeous chunk of Pacific Coast south of Carmel, California You can cram all the charms of California's amazing coastline into one stop at Point Lobos State Reserve, about 100 miles south of San Francisco. It's all there at Point Lobos: crashing waves, barking sea lions, chattering shorebirds, sun-bathing sea otters, remarkable rock formations. Granted, you get a few nibbles of this anywhere along California Highway 1, but why not save your appetite for the whole feast? Point Lobos has a network of well-maintained trails, but it's not really a hiking destination. Better to just find a place to park, find a trail, walk toward the sound of the ocean and enjoy the scenery. Best time to go: September, when the summer heat is easing and the coast is less foggy. The rest of the year will do, however. Park authorities limit the number of cars allowed in Point Lobos, so you might have to leave the car outside the park on Highway 1 and walk in. This'll add about two miles of walking to your outing.

fantastic view perfect for a relaxing afternoon walk.

Amazing

This is definitely on of the best trail I took my kids too.

amazing views, and a decent hike of you use all of the trails. I spent a good 4 or 5 hours here. spending time crawling around and climbing trees.

Don't know why I waited so long to do this hike. Bring a camera, you won't be disappointed.
I parked on the 1 on walked in. Took the trail near the entrance as suggested. Followed the loop as given. wow. stunning on such a clear beautiful day. Don't think I have ever taken so many pictures on a long hike before.

nice trail. something for everybody- all ages and all levels

There is no single "Loop Trail" at Point Lobos. There are lots of trails with loops and the "Perimeter " can be hiked as a loop. This can cause a lot of confusion as the Reserve does not recognise the "Loop Trail".

Pretty short, but a great way to start your day in Big Sur. Amazing views and maybe some whale watching.

Amazing place

Stopped along the way to grey whale watch and take pictures of the beautiful coastline but the whole loop took my mom and I about 3.5 hours. Parking was easy ($10) at 830am but by noon they weren’t letting cars into the park due to full lots.

Most beautiful view of all our hikes. Flat but long.

Amazing views.

This trail has beautiful views. I went on such a gloomy, rainy day so it was dark. But on a normal day the water should be very nice blue. Fairly easy trail and even close to parking. There is a park entrance fee and I don’t think dogs are allowed.

Stunning views. Good possibility to see wales.

no friendly dogs on the trail. there was one friendly dog just outside walking by the freeway who was more than happy to be petted.

Crowded but great views.

Very nice paths. The Docents were very knowledgeable.

Loved our time at Point Lobos! So many incredible views! We even got to see/hear sea lions as they sunbathed on the rocks down below. Crystal clear waters and views for miles! I would highly recommend!

Point Lobos never disappoints.

The only thing difficult about this walk is not stopping to take in the scenery. Amazing views and beautiful beaches. I loved this walk. It is super flat and well maintained so it is perfect for kids.

Stopped here on our way back to San Jose to fly home in August. Well worth it! We did the trails along the ocean which was very peaceful. Even on a cloudy/foggy day, the views were gorgeous! Very easy to walk and well maintained trails. The full parking lot sign was out when we first arrived so we circled back to the beach parking area right before you get to Point Lobos and waiting ~10 minutes. Parking was available by then.

This was my first time here yesterday and my favorite hike of 2017. I’m so glad my last hike of the year was this beautiful place.

My fav trail, may be bias, since I live by. Amazing views, a must for Monterey County. Park on Hwy to save on parking.

Beautiful scenery.

I believe it's 7 miles of different hike trails.

Viewed each and every trail and was very happy.

Easy, and recommended for children or humans any shape or size!

Spectacular ocean views with lots of seals, sea lions and birds to watch. Mostly flat with well marked trails.

I have visited point lobos in all the seasons found in a year and it never disappointed me. It’s the place where the beauty of nature is inexplicable, and you always got to see a wild animal on land or in the sea.
It is my son playground, he has walked these trails more than one time since he was 17 months old, now he is two and a half and he knows the trail by heart, it is kid’s friendly natural reserve.

Beautiful Day!