Point Lobos Loop Trail

Point Lobos Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carmel-by-the-Sea, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Sea lions, shore birds and more share this gorgeous chunk of Pacific Coast south of Carmel, California You can cram all the charms of California's amazing coastline into one stop at Point Lobos State Reserve, about 100 miles south of San Francisco. It's all there at Point Lobos: crashing waves, barking sea lions, chattering shorebirds, sun-bathing sea otters, remarkable rock formations. Granted, you get a few nibbles of this anywhere along California Highway 1, but why not save your appetite for the whole feast? Point Lobos has a network of well-maintained trails, but it's not really a hiking destination. Better to just find a place to park, find a trail, walk toward the sound of the ocean and enjoy the scenery. Best time to go: September, when the summer heat is easing and the coast is less foggy. The rest of the year will do, however. Park authorities limit the number of cars allowed in Point Lobos, so you might have to leave the car outside the park on Highway 1 and walk in. This'll add about two miles of walking to your outing.

Stunning views!

Point Lobos has been quoted to be “the greatest meeting of Land and Water in the world”. And it is! When you walk the trails, you are alone with nature. You feel close to God, and so grateful to him for providing us with this magnificent sanctuary filled with many species of birds and animals and breathtaking views of flowers and waves from the Pacific Ocean crashing against large granite rocks that surround the shoreline. It is so serene and peaceful and spiritual. I’ve never seen a more beautiful setting anywhere in the world.

Amazing morning. We left early to avoid the crowds and it was worth it. While some scenes were foggy, it still had amazing views.

Ok crowed it is. But what a nice trail. Maybe it is easy but the sceneries are the best. This is sheer pleasure if you like the sea and the coast. Go there and enjoy!

Well maintained trails, very crowded. The fog made certain areas very difficult to see. Get there early in the morning to beat crowds and park on highway 1 for free!

I have lived on this area for 7 years and just made it to Point Lobos thanks to a friend of mine. I am so glad she did. It’s my new favorite place! Utterly Gorgeous views! I grew up by the beach, so listening to the waves hitting the rocks while I hike it’s so therapeutic. Feels a lot like home. I like that you can solo hike if needed, a lot of animal fauna, flowers everywhere ❤️! Today we even saw a deer

Gorgeous view and fun - surprisingly quiet hike through the woods.

My first hike. I needed a scenic first hike to get the right impression. I forgot about the miles and time. I began taking pic and forgot about taking pics because I was enjoying myself so much. I was living in the moment.

Easy trail. Great for seeing tide pools. Views are spectacular. Lots of wildlife harbor seals, sea lions and cormorants are most plentiful. Restrooms available at the last car park.

Absolutely lovely hike. There are a lot of trails at Point Lobos. We spent about 6 hours on two separate days exploring them. We enjoyed the northern bluff trail the most, but they are all beautiful.

Just a heads up, it costs 10.00 to get into the park and it closes in the early evening.

Was extremely beautiful!

Do you like sea lions? Do you like great views? Do you like a little bit of an ocean breeze? If your answer to these questions is yes, then this is the trail for you.

THE BEST TRAIL.

I cant wait to go again.

So much fun! We just spent 6 1/2 hours at Point Lobos! So much to do besides hike!

Delivers everything is promises and more! Only problem is that you keep taking breaks to enjoy the view and take pictures.

Only did a portion of the loop but saw so much wildlife! Sea lions, seals, whales, and even the notorious kelp otter. The guides had telescopes for easier viewing at different sites or will trade you binoculars for your car keys so you can get a better view of the wildlife.

Wonderful wildflowers on the ENTIRE loop! Just watch out for the poison oak (which is easy to avoid). On a weekday, the trail was not crowded. Beautiful views, and an interesting flow going from woods to seashore and back to woods again.

Year round beauty.

Beautiful.

This is one of the best trails I’ve been on. It’s great for family to visit together.

fantastic view perfect for a relaxing afternoon walk.

Amazing

This is definitely on of the best trail I took my kids too.

amazing views, and a decent hike of you use all of the trails. I spent a good 4 or 5 hours here. spending time crawling around and climbing trees.

Don't know why I waited so long to do this hike. Bring a camera, you won't be disappointed.
I parked on the 1 on walked in. Took the trail near the entrance as suggested. Followed the loop as given. wow. stunning on such a clear beautiful day. Don't think I have ever taken so many pictures on a long hike before.

nice trail. something for everybody- all ages and all levels

There is no single "Loop Trail" at Point Lobos. There are lots of trails with loops and the "Perimeter " can be hiked as a loop. This can cause a lot of confusion as the Reserve does not recognise the "Loop Trail".

Pretty short, but a great way to start your day in Big Sur. Amazing views and maybe some whale watching.

Amazing place