Point Dume Cove Trail

Point Dume Cove Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 347 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

surfing

beach

Great views, nice breeze and a perfect trail!

We saw seals and sea lions!

It was a very good place to hike for me and my family. We haven’t hiked in so long so I chose this easy trail for us and the view/sceneries were so magnificent. We went on a Saturday and we were one of the few peeps who arrived early (around 8am) so parking wasn’t hard for us. And we got distracted by the rock climbers when we got to the point where they do the climbing at 100ft. Overall, it was a beautiful experience, pretty blooms and if you love plants/botanicals, this place is a heaven.

Definitely one of the best hiking trails near me. So good at sunset

An easy trail if just checking out the view. The only part you really need to be slightly cautious on is the descent to the beach. The staircase is missing a few steps, rusted through on some of the metal steps, and rotting through on some of the wood ones. Still more than worth it for a beautiful beach that isn’t crowded.

bridge out

Beautiful sunny trail, we where lucky enough to see dolphins off the shore. Definitely coming back to explore with more time.

This trail is short and sweet for anyone who likes the beach and loves wildlife! If you’re going, please respect the trail and the animals (sea lions, pelicans, gulls, etc.)

rock climbing

Wouldn’t call it a hike, more like a walk up to a nice view of the coast. Great for rock climbing at all levels though, from the 60ft vertical straight up with virtually nothing but small finger holes to the 30ft with terrain you could scramble on without a harness. There is also anchors at the top.

Nice little quick hike. Seen sea lions and lizards

Beautiful cliff views

Monday, July 09, 2018

Easy stroll. Good to see and hear sea lions.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Not quite a hike, but not quite a walk, either, with the sand. But kid friendly and do-able by almost everyone if you take your time. Great views of Santa Monica Bay, Zuma Beach, and the Santa Monica Mountains. Right up there with Torrey Pines as one of my favorite beach walks.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Not a hike, but it is an enjoyable walk. Easy to do if you want to do a quick, simple trail and don't have time or something in the Santa Monica Mountains

Monday, March 26, 2018

just missed a dozen whales by an hour. seals, hawks, gulls, pelicans, raven, sunset with channel islands in the background. easy hike. windy af.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Great hike with lots of wildlife!

Friday, March 16, 2018

Saw whales and seals (I think they were seals) therefore 5 stars

Saturday, March 10, 2018

No regrets

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I take all of my out of town guests here! It’s more of a walk than a hike if you start at the top. I usually park at the beach and climb up the hill to the “hike.” Every time I’ve been there’s seals sleeping on the rocks, it’s right before you reach the wooden bench lookout spot, if you’re walking away from Pt Dume Beach. If we can’t decide where to go for the weekend, we end up here. Stellar views!

Friday, February 02, 2018

Easy walk/hike and seriously the most GORGEOUS view!

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Easy climb to the picturesque peak of Point Dume. Great for a quick and casual walk through sandy trails. Usually comes with a great offshore breeze with a view of Sea Lions and Dolphins. Parking is rough. You might actually hike longer to getting to the hike, than the actual 1.2 mile trail. But, you’ll likely be able to find a great spot on the sandstone outcropping and remember why you went through the trouble in the first place. It’s also a great hike for the kiddos.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Super easy, took my 71 y/o father with me whom is very out if shape. I am overly cautious so I took my time with him on steps in beginning.

Monday, January 15, 2018

I'd really call this a walk more than a hike. I've been here many times and usually see dolphins. It's also a great walk to take out of town guests to show off the beauty of the SoCal coast.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

This place is majestic! I originally went here about 5 years ago but never thought to review it. Just from the back of the beach and close to the cliff you'll different paths that brings you to the top of the cliff. The actual Point in Point Dume. The hike is relatively easy and I'm sure most people go for the view more than the workout. The trails are narrow in some points and no trees to protect you from the sun. The view from the top is awesome but you must watch your step because there is nothing but nature and a steep fall between you and the beach. Depending on time of year and time of day you may see sea lions, surfers (by the cove) and whales below. There is a tiny parking area with about 8 spaces and 2 hour parking that leads to the cliffs and a somewhat rusted staircase that leads down to the cove. I hope that it never gets crowded but I feel this is the type of place everyone must witness to appreciate the art of The Creator and the care of Mother Nature. It's a relatively hidden gem to the locals and those of us that want to go off the beaten path. This is a beautiful place to be if you want to reflect, meditate or just take pictures. Although I took pictures it's always good to get away from the congestion and think about what else is out there for us dreamers. If you can't appreciate the cliff then what's the Point?

Saturday, September 30, 2017

A must do if you are in the area

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Stunning views on this easy hike