Point Dume Cove Trail

Point Dume Cove Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 347 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

beach

Nice walk around the hill.

This is an awesome, easy area to meander and take in amazing view! Parking is limited to about 6-7 spots and cops do come by and check for people parked in areas that aren’t allowed or those who have gone beyond 2 hours. We waited in the car and within 10 mins 2 cars left. Well worth the wait!

Wouldn’t call this a hike, but is an easy trail with BEAUTIFUL views. Great for visitors who want to picturesque view of the coast close to LA. The two hour parking spots are very limited so this would be the hardest part if you’re trying to go on a weekend.

closed

I parked on Fernhill and walked to the trailhead, taking the first one available out of three. There are so many trails available although much of them show “closed” signs or are roped off. It appeared that people paid little to no attention and just climbed over onto various trails and flat areas of this hill anyway. The views are beautiful and I saw one point that had several clips in the rock for climbing. I saw people were able to get down to the beach but I didn’t go that far, I just explored the various trails and views. There are very little spots with shade so make sure you wear sunscreen and hydrate — you could potentially spend hours and hours here! What a spot.

There is approximately 50 feet of uneven, rocky trail before reaching the boardwalk, coming from the direction of Westward Beach, where the trail is narrow and on an incline and there's nothing to hold onto for stability. The rocks on the trail aren't large (we're not talking about needing to "scramble" here) -- but there are issues with getting one's footing for those less confident when there's a cliff on one side and nothing to hang onto for stability on the other. The rest of the trail is quite manageable, but I saw nothing about this before we went so I'm hoping this information will be helpful to others.

Fairly easy trail. Parts had a boardwalk but a lot of it was sandy. We also saw lots of sea lions on the rocks below. Overall very enjoyable.

nice easy trail. I will come back.

Great views, nice breeze and a perfect trail!

We saw seals and sea lions!

It was a very good place to hike for me and my family. We haven’t hiked in so long so I chose this easy trail for us and the view/sceneries were so magnificent. We went on a Saturday and we were one of the few peeps who arrived early (around 8am) so parking wasn’t hard for us. And we got distracted by the rock climbers when we got to the point where they do the climbing at 100ft. Overall, it was a beautiful experience, pretty blooms and if you love plants/botanicals, this place is a heaven.

Definitely one of the best hiking trails near me. So good at sunset

An easy trail if just checking out the view. The only part you really need to be slightly cautious on is the descent to the beach. The staircase is missing a few steps, rusted through on some of the metal steps, and rotting through on some of the wood ones. Still more than worth it for a beautiful beach that isn’t crowded.

bridge out

Beautiful sunny trail, we where lucky enough to see dolphins off the shore. Definitely coming back to explore with more time.

This trail is short and sweet for anyone who likes the beach and loves wildlife! If you’re going, please respect the trail and the animals (sea lions, pelicans, gulls, etc.)

Nice and easy walk, no terrain gear needed at all. Beautiful 360 views, and very windy and cold (for LA) this time of year. Some flowers blooming too!

rock climbing

Wouldn’t call it a hike, more like a walk up to a nice view of the coast. Great for rock climbing at all levels though, from the 60ft vertical straight up with virtually nothing but small finger holes to the 30ft with terrain you could scramble on without a harness. There is also anchors at the top.

Sat Sep 29 2018

Nice little quick hike. Seen sea lions and lizards

Mon Sep 03 2018

Beautiful cliff views

Mon Jul 09 2018

Easy stroll. Good to see and hear sea lions.

Wed May 30 2018

Not quite a hike, but not quite a walk, either, with the sand. But kid friendly and do-able by almost everyone if you take your time. Great views of Santa Monica Bay, Zuma Beach, and the Santa Monica Mountains. Right up there with Torrey Pines as one of my favorite beach walks.

Sun May 27 2018

Not a hike, but it is an enjoyable walk. Easy to do if you want to do a quick, simple trail and don't have time for something in the Santa Monica Mountains

Mon Mar 26 2018

just missed a dozen whales by an hour. seals, hawks, gulls, pelicans, raven, sunset with channel islands in the background. easy hike. windy af.

Sat Mar 24 2018

Great hike with lots of wildlife!

Fri Mar 16 2018