Point Dume Cove Trail

Point Dume Cove Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

surfing

beach

Not a hike, but it is an enjoyable walk. Easy to do if you want to do a quick, simple trail and don't have time or something in the Santa Monica Mountains

just missed a dozen whales by an hour. seals, hawks, gulls, pelicans, raven, sunset with channel islands in the background.

easy hike. windy af.

Great hike with lots of wildlife!

Saw whales and seals (I think they were seals) therefore 5 stars

No regrets

I take all of my out of town guests here! It’s more of a walk than a hike if you start at the top. I usually park at the beach and climb up the hill to the “hike.” Every time I’ve been there’s seals sleeping on the rocks, it’s right before you reach the wooden bench lookout spot, if you’re walking away from Pt Dume Beach. If we can’t decide where to go for the weekend, we end up here. Stellar views!

Easy walk/hike and seriously the most GORGEOUS view!

Easy climb to the picturesque peak of Point Dume. Great for a quick and casual walk through sandy trails. Usually comes with a great offshore breeze with a view of Sea Lions and Dolphins. Parking is rough. You might actually hike longer to getting to the hike, than the actual 1.2 mile trail. But, you’ll likely be able to find a great spot on the sandstone outcropping and remember why you went through the trouble in the first place. It’s also a great hike for the kiddos.

Super easy, took my 71 y/o father with me whom is very out if shape. I am overly cautious so I took my time with him on steps in beginning.

I'd really call this a walk more than a hike. I've been here many times and usually see dolphins. It's also a great walk to take out of town guests to show off the beauty of the SoCal coast.

This place is majestic! I originally went here about 5 years ago but never thought to review it. Just from the back of the beach and close to the cliff you'll different paths that brings you to the top of the cliff. The actual Point in Point Dume. The hike is relatively easy and I'm sure most people go for the view more than the workout. The trails are narrow in some points and no trees to protect you from the sun. The view from the top is awesome but you must watch your step because there is nothing but nature and a steep fall between you and the beach.

Depending on time of year and time of day you may see sea lions, surfers (by the cove) and whales below. There is a tiny parking area with about 8 spaces and 2 hour parking that leads to the cliffs and a somewhat rusted staircase that leads down to the cove. I hope that it never gets crowded but I feel this is the type of place everyone must witness to appreciate the art of The Creator and the care of Mother Nature. It's a relatively hidden gem to the locals and those of us that want to go off the beaten path.

This is a beautiful place to be if you want to reflect, meditate or just take pictures. Although I took pictures it's always good to get away from the congestion and think about what else is out there for us dreamers. If you can't appreciate the cliff then what's the Point?

A must do if you are in the area

Stunning views on this easy hike

On my way of my favorite hikes in Malibu! I love this view

pack for the beach. it's very beautiful. we will definitely be going back again.

Beautiful trail! Lots of places to sit and watch the ocean. Amazing views of rock formations. Very easy walk up. Highly recommend!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Beautiful trail! There are still some wildflowers as of May 4, but not much.
Please, for the love of God, if you hike on a beach trail, don't bring your headphones. Two reasons: 1) You have the natural soundtrack of the waves. Isn't that why people hike here anyway? 2) As someone mentioned in an earlier review, and I can confirm, there are snakes on this trail. Including rattlers. We saw 2 snakes, one was a juvenile rattlesnake. So please be careful.
Whales and dolphins like this area too, so as you're walking, keep an eye on the water. Saw a baby and mama humpback when we arrived at 930am.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Gorgeous views, easy but satisfying hike.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Beautiful!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This is a relatively easy hike that will surround you with the Pacific and wild flowers (thanks to the rain) and views of bluffs and beaches.

Monday, January 09, 2017

Not much of a hike, but beautiful views from the top.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Oceanside views along a roped trail around the cliffside. Steep ascent from state beach parking. Parking costs $3 there. Rugged, sandy trail, easy to navigate though. Huge waves and groups of sea lions along the rocks below.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Easy with beautiful views - great for beginners or out of towners looking to spend some time on the beach but away from the crowds.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Gorgeous views. Stay for the sunset. Plenty of sea lions to view from the cliff.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Easy trail, good views

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Nice easy loop with great ocean views

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Point Dume is a rocky promontory located at the western end of Santa Monica Bay between Dume Cove and Westward Beach in Malibu, California, about 1.75 miles from Paradise Cove. Access it from Point Dume Natural Preserve or from Westward Beach which is located to the north and features cliffs, cool hiking trails and ocean views. Park along free 2 hour parking on Cliffside Drive or pay $12 at Westward Beach fee parking – note the spaces along Cliffside are limited. Trailhead address: 27807 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA. We visited on an overcast foggy day, but fog layer was above the high point. Looked west over Zuma Beach toward Point Mugu, and inland over the Santa Monica Mountains. To the northwest, the highest peaks in the range are the Boney Mountains. Best way to do this is hike to the top first, take in the 360 view, then take the boardwalk trail on the right to the point (you'll be able to see it on your right coming down from the top). Decide from there whether to go down to the rocky point below, as it is a hike back up through the sand. Next go down the Tidepools trail to the beach via the rust eaten and wood plank stairs at the bottom – a couple are a little shaky so watch your step. Easy short way to explore some nice Cali coastline, check it out.

Monday, June 06, 2016

stunning views! great hike and not too crowded! Sunset at the top is incredible

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Great little hike along the coast!

Friday, May 20, 2016

Even on a gloomy day, I enjoyed this hike, beach, and scenery. Great beach to run on. Good views and on a Thursday afternoon, it felt like this beautiful place was all mine.