Pohono Trail Glacier Point to Inspiration Point [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(46)
Yosemite National Park

Pohono Trail Glacier Point to Inspiration Point [CLOSED] is a 12 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 12.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,020 feet Route Type: Point to Point

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Hiked it uphill not sure why more people don’t. Awesome views everywhere.

Spectacular trail!

A truly rewarding hike. Hiked 8 miles up to Dewey Point from Trailhead at Glacier point. Absolutely stunning campout on the ridge. In the morning we passed through Crocker and inspiration points and then it got very downhill. We took old Wawona road towards Bridalveil falls instead of continuing towards tunnel view because we were camping in the valley. Hitched a ride the last two miles into the valley instead of practically walking alongside the main road.

This a Bucket List overnight hike. Stayed at Dewey Point, right on edge of valley rim. Followed advice of many and traveled from GP to TV. The ‘down’ part of this trek is tough enough. We passed a few making their way up from TV and wished them well! Worth every step!

Hiked this excursion on June 2 2019. Definetly would recommend this hike, one of my favorites. Saw a brown bear about 2 miles in that made the whole trip worth it. The 12 miles turned into 18 because of the snowy paths so make sure to have a gps of this trail in order to stay on the path. It was originally supposed to take 4 hours and ended up taking 8 due to having to backtrack because snow washed out the trail. Other than that, the views of El Capitan and Half Dome are terrific and couldn’t ask for a better day.

Hiked this trail June 3, 2019. The trail head is conveniently located at the tunnel view parking area. The reviews of this trail are accurate. It is basically straight up for the first 3.5 miles. After that it seemed to level out — but by that time it was time for us to go back. We walked approx .5 miles after that with more gentle incline and turned around. We did 8 miles round trip, but I would not do this trail again with those limitations. The hike up is a huge investment and not enough payoff for cost of the relatively brutal upward hike. Hiking this trail would probably be better with a hike longer than 4 in and 4 back. While it is true that there are a couple of good viewing spots on the trail, I’m not sure that those views are worth the cost of a short hike. There are good views just about everywhere in Yosemite. Unless you are looking for good cardio, I would pick another trail if I was only going 4 miles in.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Fantastic trail. Took my gf on her first backpack in November and couldn’t ask for a better trail for a first trip. Definitely glad we did glacier point to tunnel view parking, as opposed to the other way around. Camped one evening at Dewey point although maybe next time, I think we’d post up at Crocker instead. Didn’t see another person on the trail past Taft point. Don’t forget to get your permit if you plan to stay out in Yosemite wilderness.

Tue Oct 02 2018

Fantastic trail. Awesome vistas from the start & some of the most iconic views of Yosemite valley. The middle section after Taft Point winds through woodland with a few nice meadows. Long trail, not strenuous but there is still a fair amount of elevation gain despite the net elevation loss.

Thu Jul 12 2018

Hiked from Glacier Point to the Tunnel view parking lot, took a detour to go up Sentinel Dome. Beautiful meadows of wildflowers even in early July. Since the trail is a point to point it takes some logistical planning, but well worth it. Dewey Point has amazing views, it also cool to see Bridalveil Falls from Crocker Point.

Thu Jun 07 2018

I didn't do the whole thing, only from tunnel view to Dewey. Some nice view, but it gets repetive. I'm not sure doing the whole thing is worth it, you can take you care and start from the end do to taft for example.

Fri Feb 23 2018

Definitely take this trail downhill unless you are into pain and demoralization... we went up hill from Tunnel View and it was a death march... a beautiful death march. All three in our party were in relatively good shape and had done long hard hikes earlier in the season. We had to cut it short and pick up the shuttle at the Taft point trail head. My legs were buckling in the parking lot while we waited. One of only two hikes I refuse to do again. But down hill sounds real nice! The views are some of the best I’ve seen.

Sat Jan 27 2018

One of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Good and long trail. Many beautiful sights. Will do this again one day

Sun Nov 05 2017

Amazing trail! The Valley is overrun with tourists but once you’re on the Pohono it’s like having Yosemite to yourself. I hiked this last summer 2016 with a friend and we saw just three other people on the whole trail (aside from the major lookouts like Taft Point and Glacier Point). I HIGHLY recommend hiking from Glacier Point to Tunnel View if you don’t like walking up elevation. We started at Tunnel View and the ascent was brutal and even the rest of the trail felt uphill. If I ever hike it again it will be starting from Glacier. Beautiful views the whole way. Water available just fully fill when you cross it. We descended down the 4 Mile Trail which was awesome especially to see great views of Yosemite Falls.

Mon Oct 23 2017

A great moderate hike. We did it the day after the 4 miles trail to give out legs a bit of an easier day, and it was. The views are absolutely stunning, great vistas of the valley and a great variety of landscapes (which brings a lot of different bird spieces!). We started early and we’re the only ones in the trail for a long time. It did get quite cold (close to freezing) so layer up!

Thu Aug 10 2017

Anyone hiking this August 12? Trying to find another car

Sat Jun 10 2017

Beautiful hike with sweeping views. Not for the beginner hiker, but well worth the effort!

Tue May 30 2017

Anyone planning on doing this hike on Saturday, June 3, 2017? I would like to find someone with another car to leave one at Glacier Point and another at Tunnel View

Wed Sep 28 2016

Completed this trail in summer 2015. We started at glacier point road and ended up hiking out at McGurk meadows them hitching a ride back to our car (not particularly easy to do though). I heard it is very difficult to arrange transportation from the wawona side of the trail if you hike all the way through too though. There is a nice area of campsites just over a small bridge somewhere about halfway between Taft point and Dewey point and very close to the McGurk trail. There was plenty of water in the stream nearby. We made this our base and did a day hike out and back to the remaining points along the trail to Dewey, Crocker, and Stanford (I think that's what they're called... I'm not looking at the map!) We hiked out on the third morning. It was a very nice hike with beautiful views of the valley along the way, including Half Dome and the (albeit dried up at the time) falls. Less traffic and a good choice to take in the beauty of the park if you only have time for one hike in your trip. There was little traffic once we passed Taft point and we did see two small bears off away from the tail, but traffic picked up at Dewey point. Past Dewey it was quiet again. I would say this is a moderate hike suitable for beginners but enjoyable for all! This was my husband's first backpacking trip and my fifth.

Fri Jun 13 2014

Spectacular views of the Valley and the north rim.