Placerita Canyon to Waterfall Trail [CLOSED]

Placerita Canyon to Waterfall Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newhall, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

closed

This is an easy hike with lots of shade. The trail has heavy use with lots of families. There are several places to rest along the way including a picnic area. The trailhead has restrooms at the nature center. The waterfall is dry unless there has been recent rain.

Love this trail to the Waterfalls; hiked this trail 3 times, the last time I did it solo. Too bad it’s closed for now.

The placerita to waterfall trail still is "closed" but easy to access behind a makeshift fence. There was a tiny bit of water flowing in the riverbed about half way up, enough to make one part of the trail pretty thick with vegetation. Since the trail is closed and has no maintenance activity and low traffic it is starting to get a bit overgrown in a few places in the canyon section. Still a great hike with lots of shade. Very few people on the trail and I got to see some blue birds, lots of lizards and a deer.

The "Heritage" trail was a very short paved walk to a tree. The trail on the map is something else that is closed due to the wildfires last year. Very misleading.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Just completed 3/26/17. Parts of this trail have washed away especially around the creek and there are a few fences with signs saying the trail is closed, which made the hike less crowded. The waterfall at the end of the trail is ok but don't expect anything amazing, instead just enjoy the moderate to easy hike, green meadows, trees, and multiple small stream/river crossings. Brought the dog and she loved the water.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Rain damage has closed trail to waterfall near trailhead. No one at the nature center knew when it might reopened. I took a couple other short trails that were still open. Easy to moderate , nice views.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Fun no waterfall though

Friday, February 03, 2017

closed due to mudslides

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Trail is closed due to the Sand Fire.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

This trail is actually closed.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Currently closed due to fire damage

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

easy lots of shade no luck with water fall due to drought

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

love it with my daughter on father's day

Sunday, June 05, 2016

*Read on to hear about poison oak and bees!*

The trailhead is easy to get to, and there a few different paths you can take from the parking lot. The path we took (recorded below) was an enjoyable walk with plenty of shade and some picnic areas. There's barely any incline and currently no creek whatsoever. We chose to take the specific path to the waterfall marked after about two miles into the hike. That path takes you to a dozen stairs or so. Soon after that, some poison oak is marked, probably to show those who aren't familiar with what it looks like what they should be keeping an eye out for. Not far after that, it wasn't the oak but the bees that became an issue. Before we could get to where the waterfall was, there were hundreds of bees swarming, so we turned back.

The hike was nice, even in the 90+ degree weather, but it wasn't much of a workout and there's no water. I'd say it's good for a walk, listening to some birds, and having lunch with friends or family.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Good hike, very nice gradual increase.

Monday, May 30, 2016

nice trail, dog friendly. Waterfall trail is really just a wet Rock. I could imagine how beautiful it would be if there were a nice flow of water but right now don't expect any. still a pretty canyon.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

I loved it ! A lot of trees and easy walk

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Great views and nicely maintained trail.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Great trail. At times the trail is unclear because it overlaps with a stream. Waterfall wasn't so big but still a cool sight.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Great beginners hike. I went three days after rain the path was easy to find and easy to follow. Crowded with families and teenagers A good amount of rock graffiti that takes away from the trickling waterfall. There is a lower waterfall and you can climb up to another waterfall but both are very small and I would say cute... Overall C+

Sunday, November 22, 2015

I started out on this trail but then went up Los Pinetos trail at the same park. Great hike and beautiful trail, not too difficult getting up there but it was long. I started out late and had to hurry down before sunset. I should have started earlier I realize, using this app it allowed me to see a fire break that was a short cut back but I don't recommend it. I made it back safe but it got a little treacherous coming down. It was a great adventure today.

Sunday, November 08, 2015

It was a beautiful fall day today with highs in the 70s. We started from the Nature Center and took the Canyon Trail to the left (east). The trail was well maintained and easy to follow. We came across a white oil spring and the Walker Ranch area with a fireplace. After a little over 2 miles in, we then headed south along Waterfall Trail for about 3/4 mile to the waterfall. It was very shady and the greenery was fantastic. Along the way, we saw 2 very large deer about 30 yards off the trail. The waterfall was more of a water drip at this time of year and with the drought. We'll be back in the Spring to see more water and hopefully a real waterfall. I highly recommend this hike for families and dogs. Easy hike. Beautiful scenery.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I used to volunteer at placerita canyon so I would take this trail pretty regularly. It's a nice easy hike and is beautiful especially in the winter when the heat isn't crazy. Plus the nature center is really a cool space.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Good trail for trail running

Saturday, June 06, 2015

It was nice and relaxing.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Trail was great until someone angered a rattlesnake

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Not bad, easy hike, about 4.75 miles round trip from the nature center up to the waterfall, but no water, great scenery though!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

I meant it's not too hard

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Nice trail and. It too hard . I took the water fall trail which is about 4.5 miles total . Once you get to water fall you turn around and walk back. No loop and the water fall is dry so nothing there but drips of water and a bunch of bees and buzzing. Trail was nice and cool lots of greenery . I liked it and you can camp here too or take one of the other trails which are a bit longer

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Made to the waterfall picnic area and hikers were paranoid because there was rattle snakes be alert! And always look up down left right. But it was overall a nice trail.

Thursday, February 05, 2015

Easy + pretty hike but was bummed on the graffiti at the end of the trail AND 2 people's cars got vandalized in the upper lot. Park closer to the nature center, even if you're like me and don't mind walking extra!

Not much water in the waterfall. Poison oak along the trail but there are signs. Mostly shaded, glad I brought a jacket.