Piute Pass Trail

Piute Pass Trail is a 16.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bishop, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Enjoyed this trail and the water falls. Easier than Kearsarge in my opinion and not very busy. Many thanks to the new owner of Bishop Pack Outfitters for fixing the gully with rock slides.

Great hike and great time. Enjoyed the lake. It’s bloody difficult—uphill all the way. The rock trail was a bit difficult to follow due to some weather effects, but there’s plenty of fun ways up. I personally enjoyed scaling up the larger rocks.

Awesome hike! I took my time in this and spent two nights with my dog 6/15-6/17. The first day really kicked my butt (I blame the altitude). But after getting rest, I really got to enjoy the scenery, waterfalls, (unfrozen) lakes - although I’d note that night time still reached freezing temps. I’d definitely recommend his time of year to go.

Hit Piute Pass trail 5/5 - 5/6, with the trail being mostly covered in snow still. Lock Leven and Piute lake being frozen over was surreal. Picture perfect views from the pass of a winter wonderland. Stayed the night for an amazing sunrise. Definitely will coming back, after the spring melt.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Did this over 7/19-7/21 and couldn't ask for better conditions. Wildflowers were exploding, Pass itself was challenging with snow bridges and multiple water crossings but no specialized equipment or skills beyond awareness needed. Brook, Golden and Rainbows were biting on every cast from Muriel, Summit, Upper and Lower Golden Trout Lakes. Would revise difficulty level to hard due to length and elevation gains but will do this trip again in a heartbeat.

Saturday, August 26, 2017