Piute Mountain OHV Trail

Piute Mountain OHV Trail is a 22.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Weldon, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving.

Distance: 22.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,763 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

Took my stock jeep out to this trail today. It was beautiful, but the trail is washed out at Langer's creek. It looked like people had gone around it, but as a brand new offroader without any real equipment, I decided not to risk it. We didn't see a single soul on the trail until our descent. There were a few parts of the trail that were pretty washed out but we made it through those with no problems. It was beautiful up there and I definitely plan on going back when I can take another 4wd vehicle with me just in case.

off road driving

I ended up on Piute Mountain Road via Jawbone Canyon. We went out through Kelso Valley and Dove Springs. This was pretty easy trail for the most part. We went around New Years Eve and ran into some snow. We pulled off around the top to have a quick bite to eat. I have video posted here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m233K91Kz6w...which shows what the terrain looks like a little. We saw some SXSs pass us as we were eating so Im guessing those types of vehicles are allowed.

scenic driving

Spend tons of time up here. Coming from the HWY 14 side through Jawbone canyon will take you through some sandy switchbacks just below the Seqouia National Forest line. 4x4 may be necessary in a couple of these. I've been stuck there in my 2WD 1500 more times than I care to admit and no tow vehicle can make it up there. Be cautious of downed trees. High winds weekly combined with burned and dead ones frequently block the road and are too large to pull and will require a chainsaw. If you plan on camping along this road and it becomes windy at night, pack up and go home or you will be stuck or risk being struck by a downed Ponderosa. There are no ways to go around these trees when they block the road. Also a word of caution for dirt bikers and buggy drivers wandering uphill from Jawbone Recreational Area, this is a county road. It is illegal to drive dirt bikes and offroad vehicles without license plates and spark arrestors. Must be road legal vehicles only. The game warden is permitted and will confiscate your vehicle if not in compliance. They look out for that stuff. Don't travel these roads during hunting season as you will run into tons of road hunters traveling slowly through the turns and they'll happily leave you for dead for flying through there and scaring off game if you break down. Cell phones and radios do not work through almost the entirety of this road and there are no services. Forestry services do not monitor this road every day and there is a good chance you may spend a couple days up there without seeing another human.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Monday, February 12, 2018

Great trail for beginners. Plenty of areas for photos. Amazing range of scenery from desert hills to dense forest. View from the top is incredible! Plenty of areas to stop and take it all in.

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Pretty easy and quiet trail (during the week at least). It's a nice spot to get lost in, not that that is easy to do.

Monday, January 15, 2018

First time taking my suv off the road! Great trail that was well maintained with a variety of views. Just getting to the trail itself was beautiful. Vast rocky hills at jawbone canyon with plenty of dirt bike and atv trails. The climb isn’t too steep in any areas. Plenty of places to stop along the way. The views are spectacular. Early January was perfect. Brisk air with a few piles of snow at the very top but no icy patches. Takes a while to complete this drive and the end point is a dead zone, so be sure to get directions home ahead of time!

Saturday, July 12, 2014

This is a very relaxing, easy dirt road drive, with options. It is not unusual to see bear, and deer. There are plenty of photo ops, as the scenery is incredible. You may pass one to five cars on the 3.5 hour drive. Sure, you could probably do it faster, but I have never completed the drive without making several vista, and hiking stops!!!!

Saturday, August 19, 2017