Piru Creek Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castaic, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 154 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great easy hike with access to water

It was an adventure but we didn’t go the last half mile due to these huge wasp/bumblebee like insects. Aside from that the trail is great once you figure out how to get on it. There are a few washed out areas so that makes it harder. But it was done with a dog a seven year old and a grumpy hiking pal so all in all it was awesome since we got to be in a new place, see some wildlife and spend 2 hours hiking around.

Adventure Pass is required. If you don’t have one it’s pretty far to where you have to go back down the 5 to buy one. After dealing with Google Maps getting lost and then needing a pass, we decided to bail so can’t speak to the trail itself.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Poorly marked freeway exit, check street view and be aware of what you're looking for.

Sun Jan 14 2018

This trail being rated as EASY must be based on the first half mile of fairly flat and clearly defined single track, but that quickly ends and you find yourself scrambling over rocks in the creek bed, following false trails thru brush, and looking for areas to cross the creek that will not come up to your waist. I kept asking myself if I missed the trailhead and took a use trail by mistake. With that said, this place is beautiful. Exploring different lines in and around this canyon to extend the hike was a blast! I will go back when I have more time to see if I can get further in the canyon.

Fri Nov 24 2017

This is a very easy breezy hike. Bring water shoes in case the river is to high to use the crossing stones.

Tue Oct 03 2017

Some parts more of a scramble than a hike I went on a Monday at the beginning of October and didn't see another person the entire day. It is more like a backpacking trail in many parts, in the respect that you have to follow kierns or very light tracks rather than a delineated trail

Thu Jul 06 2017

I would say this is more of a moderate hike and kid friendly if your children are 10+. It's difficult to tell if you are on the trail, also prepare for some rock climbing.

Tue May 16 2017

Desolate place. I thought the hike was not easy, maybe I missed the trail. I had to do some rock climbing/bush whacking to get ahead. Road is closed into the campground, so park on the Golden State Hwy. Couple of tables at the campground, with bathroom not far away. Some water at this time of the year, but it is green, algae filled.

Wed Apr 26 2017

The trail starts at a roads end. I actually didn't follow the trail southward and instead ventured northward . The main road has many little side ventures leading to streams on both sides of the road (starts on left then is on right). There are some more technical paths to take but I was just feeling the place out. Even came to a bee honey keep back in. Was a fun experience which yielded many fantastic shots

Tue Nov 29 2016

A short but beautiful hike along a creek in a shady valley.

recorded Piru