Pirates Cove

Pirates Cove is a 0.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Avila Beach, California that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and surfing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

surfing

beach

cave

Park in small lot for parking, don't leave valuables in plain site. This is an easy hike which you can make as difficult as you want by going uphill from Pirates Cove. Tide was high so I did not go down onto beach. People were camping inside the cave which is not legal but they did not bother me. There was no wind so it was going to get how there in afternoon. This is a great hike to start out your day.
Virtual Treadmill video of this hike can be seen on my YouTube Channel, copy and paste link below to watch it. Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO02nxPdM4-CabegFIPlow?view_as=subscriber

Breathtaking views of the beach along the way and even better up at the cove.

U have to use a rope to get down the beach and the breeze towards the cave is nice. Was about to go through the top area of the cave however we ran into a garter snake, looks full grown and decided not to go. Usually bad luck (superstitious beliefs)

BEAUTIFUL view but the cave has been graffitied a lot :( It was an easy hike and I had a baby in a carrier on. As far as the other reviews stated I don’t think you would see anyone from the nude beach unless you are looking, it’s in a different direction than the cave.

I honestly don’t think this is kid friendly at all, pirates is a college kid/nude beach hang out. Don’t know if I’d want my kids around that tbh. With that being said, as a college kid it’s a great place to meet people and hang out, really pretty and it’s a nice little hike to the beach. I haven’t been in the caves yet so I can’t say much about that.

Loved the cave. I wish people would respect nature and not vandalize it. There is some graffiti on the rocks and in the cave but it was still beautiful being above the ocean on cliffs looking out.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Short hike to a natural cave. Great for pictures. Interesting, but unimpressed with the graffiti, broken glass and urine.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

It was a nice short hike! Not sure it should be listed as kid friendly, but that could just be my preference. There's a nude beach off to the side of the trail and the cave is littered with trash and tons of broken glass, which would be my biggest concern for the kids. But the view is nice at the cave!

Thursday, November 03, 2016

One of my most favorite places to scramble around as a kid...

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Beautiful but short. Only complaint is that there was so much trash and the cave smelled like urine

Sunday, May 08, 2016

perfect family hike.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Small hike. Great place to get some quite and enjoy the view of the pacific. Down at the bottom there's a nudist beach. Perfect spot for a full body tan

Sunday, February 28, 2016

It was way too short and not a big challenge

Saturday, June 24, 2017