Pioneertown to Big Bear via Burns Canyon Road and 2N02

Pioneertown to Big Bear via Burns Canyon Road and 2N02 is a 18.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Pioneertown, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,313 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

A high clearance vehicle is recommend for this road. It is not recommended to attempt this route without lifts and tires that are ok with off camber, steep trail.

ohv/off road driving

Super fun with deep snow right now.

ohv/off road driving

Did Pioneertown to big bear on 12/1 couple days after the big rain/snowstorm. Virtually the whole trail was covered in snow but some areas were pretty treacherous, the steeper areas had snow/snowmelt/slush/mud all in one so it was pretty slippery. In the mountain passes there were signs of recent rockfall onto the trails. I'd imagine it'd be impossible if the snowmelt/mud freezes up at night. Felt lucky to have made it without getting stuck. Was in a Stock JL with 295/70/17 mud terrain tires, I'd imagine anything less (2wd/all terrain) would be pretty impossible.

icy

Awesome trail, lots of fun, snow, and mud. Took this trail the day after thanksgiving, almost 4’ of snowfall which made it a lot more challenging. My almost stock 3rd gen 4Runner w/ rear lockers made it just fine. I passed bye several full size stock 4wd slipping and sliding delayed my trip. Made it to Baldwin lake for picnic lunch and Big Bear lake village for cocktails. Good times

Awesome trail! First time ever doing it and there was on average anywhere from 10-30” of snow on the ground. Had a few people in my group get stuck a couple times in some powdery soft snow, but for the most part it was doable. Make sure you have high clearance and 4x4 is required for any snow conditions. I would love to do this trail during the summer as well but it was great! I loved it.

icy

I'd put this at the top of my favorite trails in Big Bear, completed the trail on 11/30/19, just a day after 4 feet of snow fell on the area. Unfortunately, poor planning put us at the trail head just as the sun set. Not a big deal, but wanted to see it during the day. The trail was covered in hard packed snow (evidence that a lot of rigs had been on the trail) and because the temp was hovering around 34 degrees it was very icy. Had to carry some good momentum up a few of the climbs. Other than that it was a blast. Did it in a completely stock 2020 TRD Pro 4Runner. Took about 2.5 hours to complete moving at a slow pace.

great trail, completed it without issue in a stock 19' Complain Z71

ohv/off road driving

trail was great, got some afternoon sunlight in my face part of the trail. Used 4L in some areas to avoid over accelerating, but 4wd in hi is more than enough. No clearance issues on a stock jlu rubicon

Trail was clear and open the whole way. No major problems at all!

ohv/off road driving

Great trail would recommend to anyone I did it in my 08 tundra 2wd all I have is a 2inch leveling kit if you guys would like to check it out on my YouTube channel (Dna adventure) but most definitely I would do this trail again

Great beginner to intermediate trail, which describes me to a T. I used this trail to break in my 4Runner trd off road - perfect combo of relatively easy stuff with a few nice technical sections that aren’t too intimidating to a beginner. I stayed in 4 high the entire time. Never any need for 4 low. I probably could have done most in 2wd, but whatevs. I think reasonable clearance is importance as I did bang the bottom a few times but nothing dramatic. Great scenery and a lot of off shoots to play if you do want to challenger yourself a bit more.

ohv/off road driving

Good moderate trail but easy in most parts. A few parts that are a little more moderate and a 4x4 with some ground clearance would be recommended. Did it in our mostly stock 4Runner with mud and snow tires in mid fall and conditions were great. A gorgeous drive taking you from the high desert to the mountains. Drops off in Lake Baldwin which is just a short drive to Big Bear City.

ohv/off road driving

Started this trail at the Hwy 38 trailhead at mile marker 41. Very washed out and rocky that gave a really rough ride. We turned around after 1 mile as we were being shaken to death.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail to take the family out on, completed it in a f250 both in winter and summer. Will recommend 4wheel drive for winter if snow is present.

great drive. stock 2019 Subaru Forester Sport

ohv/off road driving

Here's a video I just shot. Great for beginners. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwFtl5hcXD0&t=8s

Fun family ride to big bear