Pioneer Trail

Pioneer Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Union City, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Pretty cool trail! Partial shade/sun and dog friendly! Some hills but nothing too bad.

Well this was a pleasant surprise. I've done a handful of hikes in the Garin and Dry Creek parks and found them to be rather meh. Typically in this area you're walking up a steep hill with no shade or through a cow pasture. And yes, once you reach the top of the ridge, the views are nice, but you can get that all over the Bay Area without having to constantly dodge horse or cow poop. I would prefer to go on hikes where I don't have to negotiate a herd of cattle.

But this trail was different and by far my favorite so far in the area. The loop was mostly shaded, which was much appreciated on a warm sunny day. And the tree line that you hike through is scenic. There was still some evidence of horse traffic, but I didn't encounter any cows. I went in the evening on a weekday and by the time I got onto Meyers Ranch trail to head back to the parking lot, the hills were keeping me in the shade there too.

The Pioneer trail was really nice. I had passed it before on my way up High Ridge, but this was my first time on it. No bikes allowed on that trail btw as it is very narrow.

I'll probably go back at some point. It's good for a short hike during the week when you get off work as it isn't overly strenuous and you can knock it out in less than an hour. And I like the May Rd. staging area - you don't have to pay to park and you don't have to climb up a big hill to get to it (like you do at Garin).