Pioneer Express Trail

Pioneer Express Trail is a 14.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Folsom, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

Note for those bringing horses: You cannot stage your trailer in the Del Labor gated community. You have to go to Lomita and continue to the Sterling Pointe staging area.

I went out yesterday, just to check this trail out. This trail follows the shoreline. Is there really 2,000+ feet of climbing? Also, if it's 28 miles, r.t., do they let you camp? Not too many hikers are going to do 28 miles in 1 day...

The part I did, starting in granite bay was not very strenuous. Scenery was ok, a little confusing about where to go.

Only did part of the trail. Lots of sun and Scenery is not that varied.

Submerged trail and TONS of poison oak! This is a very nice hike but currently (Mid-May 2017) the trail is submerged in many areas because of the high water at the lake. The poison oak is growing over the trail in many parts as well. The PO became more of an issue because we had to cross country a lot to hook back up with the submerged trail. If you are bringing your dog, plan for a lot of tick removal (repellent didn't seem to help). I pulled 11 off my pup when we got back. This is a hike that might best be put off until the water is down a bit.

Love this trail !

Fun!!

found a good trail but was too close to road. :(

Didn't expect the change in elevation nor getting mixed up on the trails but the scenery was beautiful! I recommend going down to the river

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Easy trail, you can go almost anywhere you want not that the lake is so low.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Amazing trail. I would say it's harder than moderate though. My horse and I are avid trail riders and this trail surely pushed us. Great access to water and lots of wildlife. My only complaint is the directions on this site are incorrect. You cannot stage your trailer in the del labor gated community. You have to go to lomita and continue to the sterling pointe staging area.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

My weekly hike takes me through the trails northeast of granite bay. Very peaceful and scenic. Plenty of wildlife. A very nice hike

Friday, January 08, 2016

Great trail for running.

Friday, November 28, 2014

I think this is a beautiful moderate trail. its part of the western states so it is marked all along the way. Most beautiful in the spring time...

Monday, November 11, 2013

I'm with Kelly. The trail is very poorly marked and any signs you do find are vandalized or covered in graffiti. Half the time we weren't even sure we were on the trail. We did enjoy the Nimbus Dam and seeing the jumping salmon and hordes of fishermen. We look forward to returning to Lake Natomas for some kayaking.

Monday, August 05, 2013

Regarding the stretch upriver from Rattlesnake Bar: once you get past the pond you actually start to get a sense of isolation even though there are homes up on the rim in Newcastle and the Sherland Tract area. It is shaded but still very hot in summer. The trail continues to Oregon Bar and up Cardiac then along the ditch to the dam overlook. From there past the horse parking is the WST which is still technically a segment of the Pioneer Express Trail. Nice swimming spots in the canyon between Folsom and Auburn, with the occasional boater headed up river when conditions are right.

Friday, March 08, 2013

My dog and I took this trail upriver from Rattlesnake Bar park to the 50.5 mile marker yesterday. It runs parallel to the American River upriver from Folsom Lake. It is very scenic with sweeping views of the river below. Most of the trail is in the trees so, in summer there would be plenty of shade. Also there are several sections where you can easily get down to the water.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Trail is not well marked and isn't very scenic. We hiked in February but in the heat it must be super miserable especially when you get out of the shade (of which there isn't very much). When you use the American River Bike Trail (which runs along side this trail in parts) it's also VERY congested with bikers who are fairly unfriendly about walkers on the trail. I would certainly do this trail if it's on a list of accomplishments you'd like to check off (like it was for me) but I won't ever do it again and have aptly kept notes about it for the future as a non-repeater.