For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Pioneer Cemetery Trail is a 2.5 mile out and back trail located near Burney, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Length 2.5 mi Elevation gain 170 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (14)
Recordings (7)
Completed (24)
Kyle Stoner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 27, 2019
HikingBlowdownOff trailOver grownPrivate property

I attempted to walk this trail in the middle of the night, since my campsite is literally across from where the map shows the route crossing thru the campground. Well, there's no trail there, you can bet on that. Walking thru unmaintained back country in the dead of night is pretty spooky, but eventually, I found the proper trail along my way. Heavy construction going on during the daytime along this route as of August 26 2019 This also doesn't follow the alltrails mapped route. I made it to the cemetery but it was fenced off. I heard what sounded like a cow mooing repeatedly and I got right out of there. This time, I followed the proper trail all the way back to the campground - smooth and easy, and totally not where alltrails says it is. Spectacular views of the milky way, incidentally.

View Kyle's Recording
Camille Kirch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2019
Hiking

Little shade. Quick in and out. Small elevation change.

View Camille's Recording
Carlos Gomez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 15, 2019
Hiking

The trail was nice and short, the cemetery was really cool and at the end of the trail there’s a decent view of the lake. Saw a lot of birds on our hike overall a very pleasant experience.

Shannon Willitts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2017

Nice historical hike from inside Burney Falls state park.

Bernardo Serrato
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2017
Hiking

Easy trail to hike with family or kids. Has some interesting history. Some nice views of the lake once you get to the end. I actually spotted a bald eagle upon my arrival to the lake, which was pretty cool. the Hike it self could take about an hour and a half but no more than 2. A nice short hike.

Tonya S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 23, 2016

This trail was nice. We went in December, when the section of the campground at the trailhead was closed and blocked off. However the trail itself remained open if you walk to the start. We saw no other people. The trail had bathrooms near the start (as it is a campground). It was also dog friendly, which was a key reason we chose this hike. The trail is well marked and both wide and well maintained. It was more like a longer nature stroll. There was however one portion where the trail was flooded from recent rains, but we waded across with pups in arms with not much trouble. The trail was mostly forested and I appreciated the remnants of fall leaves in December. Approximately half way to the lake is the cemetery. The cemetery, while unique, wasn't that impressive. It seemed like many of the stones had been refurbished or were new, so to me it seemed at odds with itself, but I saw this is comparison to ones from New England. This trail is worth a visit particularly if you have a dog with you. Plus the campground is beautiful and Burney Falls just down the street is amazing.

Caitlin Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2013
First to Review

This trail is located inside the campground out in a back corner. As a routine Burney camper I have been down this trail many times. Though I can not claim to have ever been down there in the daylight. It is often that, as a group of kids, would grab a flashlight and hike down. The trail is a wide dirt road that is pretty short and the cemetery is easy to get to. The cemetery itself is a bit over grown and contains some broken headstones but overall it just adds to the feeling of the area. I definitely suggest doing this hike, while it lacks a challenge the cemetery itself is very neat. While I only went at night time, most common time at 1am, I can not claim what type of traffic it sees.

Chris Coulter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020
View Chris's Recording
Kristoff Fajardo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Walking
View Kristoff's Recording
Ramon Marin
View Ramon's Recording
Lynn F.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019
View Lynn 's Recording
Sara D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 1, 2019
View Sara's Recording
Dena Olyaie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2019
View Dena's Recording