New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Pinkham Canyon OHV Road

Pinkham Canyon OHV Road is a 19 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mecca, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 19.0 miles Elevation Gain: 328 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Did this on 1/1/20 in my stock Rubicon. Just an ok trail for off road. Mostly a wash with just two rock areas to crawl over. No big deal. There is a mine to either walk to or drive to at about 1/2 way. Worth the walk. The South Gate was closed when I got there so I had to turn back and go all the way back to cottonwood spring. No signs said the gate would be closed. Easy 4x4 trail

fee

Nice trail 4x4 may be needed in some areas

ohv/off road driving

Started at Pinto Basin Rd a cross from the Joshua Tree visitor center & ended at I-10. Trail started off with great scenery driving down a dirt road with some overgrown bushes. About a third of the way through it becomes pretty soft and had to put it on 4x4. There were only 2 spots where we were crawling down rocks/boulders with the Jeep.

ohv/off road driving

Narrow trail had to clear some trail to get the raptor to fit through. Many pin stripes but worth it, next time run it the reverse in the Jeep.

ohv/off road driving

Completed 7/12 in a stock Tacoma TRD Off-Road, only 2 tricky rock parts but just take it slow and you’re fine. Once you exit the trail one of the service roads is completely washed away and I wasn’t willing to risk it because we were pushing sunset. Overall a 3 because it takes close to 3 hours for a trail that isn’t that exciting. Lots of jackrabbits which was cool, for sure need 4x4 or aggressive tires for the deep sandy parts

I took my lifted ram 2500 diesel 4x4, my truck is definitely too wide for some parts of the trail ended getting a few extra pin stripes, my truck did great on the rock climbing part but would recommend high clearance vehicles, also the sand part was fun, the trail was a bit long took about 2.5 hours to complete, otherwise it's a fun little trail

ohv/off road driving

Did this trail on 7/7/19 on my way back from AZ. Started on the joshua tree side so I could hop back on the 10 without back tracking. Fun little trail that I was easily able to do in my nissan frontier pro 4x. Only a few technical parts with a lot of deeper sandy areas. Quite a few tight turns as well. I definitely got a few new pinstripes. Took about 2.5 hours with stops for pictures. Pay attention to trail markers to stay on correct path because there are multiple ways to go. Some of these offshoots look like they meet up though so you're likely ok to take them. Overall a fun little trail for someone newish to 4x4

ohv/off road driving

Did this solo on May 112019. Wasn’t planning on it, but was too far along before I figured it out. Luckily was fully geared and gassed. Would recommend going in a team with prep and supplies. The two rock sections are not as bad as they look. The hairier part is when the trail washes out a little past midway towards the 10. Thought I might be spending some extra time out there for a minute. Keep cool and read your map and look for the trail signs. Overall, cool trail.

Fun trail, entered from the VC. Missed the Thermal Canyon cut off as we did not see any signs. Subaru handled it in this direction (down) well. It might have been tougher going up off the 10. No issues for the Wrangler first 2/3 in 2 wheel. 4WD for last 1/3.

ohv/off road driving

We did this trail in my 07 Tacoma with a 2 inch lift and off road tires starting from the 10 FWY. The trail is not hard, I'd say a stock offroad vehicle should be able to do this trail with out much trouble (maybe ground clearance of a forester and taller).The one point I would stress is that if you start from the 10 FWY side the trail is in a wash and it is easy to end up off trail. There are signs that say "Designated Trail" every 1/4 mile or so, keep an eye out for those. If you haven't seen one in a while you are likely off trail. I ran the "record" function on the app and it gave me an idea of how far off I got. I did end up having to u-turn a few times but over all the trail is a lot of fun.

Went today by accident.. was in a Subaru Crosstrek. We were good until the two rock climbs. We made it over, though I haven’t taken a look at my undercarriage yet. I wouldn’t recommend doing this is anything but a high clearance vehicle. Once we made it to a certain point and realized we were on this trail it was too late to go back. In hindsight, it was really awesome. But in the moment, I definitely thought we weren’t making it out tonight.

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail. Pretty long. Don’t do in dark with out lights. Kinda deep sand only at the end.

Wed Jan 09 2019

Great trail, beautiful views. Be sure if you are going for your first time, it is easier to follow from the Joshua Tree entrance side of the trail, as it is more clearly marked. Starting from the “10” side, it starts off marked well, then the riverbed becomes confusing and can be treacherous to your paint job if you start follow tire tracks instead of a trail... which happens... and you spend an extra hour back tracking to find the trail. Be especially cautious and bring plenty of water in case you’re out there longer than you expected. The riverbed part washes out when it rains, and we’ve been seeing the trail getting hard to spot after these last few storms over Dec and beginning of January. Enjoy the ride!!!

Mon Nov 26 2018

11/21/18 Started from the 10 side, it is really over grown, really desert striped my Tacoma on both sides. Definitely recommend 4x4 from this side, a lot better than jumping up the 2 rock climbs in 2wd. Also try to stay to the center of the valley, I followed some tracks the the left side and had to back track, also got some pretty heavy scratches that I'll have to buff out. Over all was good fun and good views.

Mon Apr 16 2018

Fun trail for off roading. My Toyota 4Runner is 2wd and it made it with no problem.

Sun Dec 31 2017

Very scenic and beautiful. At the technical part coming down, just follow the other tire treads with a spotter down below. Looks much worse than it is. We were in a stock Nissan Xterra.

Fri Dec 15 2017

Nice drive. Easy driving except for one spot with rocks. Trail washed out in the river bed & took some figuring out.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Fun road. But the Joshua tree side is NARROW!!!!! You will do some rubbing on the brush in anything decently wide. Was in a ‘17 tundra. The trail is pretty washed out in most spots. Some spotting needed to get over a few things.

Tue Sep 26 2017

Great trail, fun time. It's easy except for couple spots. A spotter would be helpful. You follow a dry river bed with sand & rock.

Wed May 03 2017

The first 7 miles was a nice easy ride for the family. Flowers in bloom!

Tue Apr 04 2017

Fun road for off-roading beginners. One slightly technical spot that you can drive around if you want, lots of soft sand & big dips. Definitely need high clearance. Take your camera!