North Levee Trail

North Levee Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Novato, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Came here on the way back to SF from Santa Rosa, where I was seeing a girl I really likeee.
She made me some overnight oats and I had some Dutch Bros Coffee, thus was feeling pretty charged up to get outside - hence my decision to check this place out. Just recently bought a new pair of trail running sneakers as well, so this seemed like the perfect spot to keep breaking them in and thankfully it didn’t dissapoint. If you’re looking for an intense hike - this isn’t the place...but if you want a solid, well marked and flat 4ish mile trail that has a lot of beautiful scenery (woods, marshes (maybe its a lake?), and birds if you’re into that sort of thing) - this place hits the spot. You can easily extend to 5-6 miles as there are a couple additional paths/trails around the halfway point or you can do the back part of the loop a couple times. Regardless, super enjoyable even though there was some muddiness on the path (thank you Rain Gods). My pup Diego loved it as well, as he got to meet a lot of other cute and I’ll admit ugly dogs on the trail since it was super dog friendly. Parking is really easy as you can park next to the entrance or in the parking lot across the street. Best part is how easily accessible the trail is right off 101 at exit 463. Would def come back for another run or chiller “hike”.

Super easy, mostly flat, and beautiful. Great place to get out and take some pictures!

This trail is a little gem. Parts are open whilst others are tree covered and nicely shaded--a great respite when it's warm. There are also a number of interesting side-trails meandering through the forested area. For the majority of this hike, the trail follows a wetland, teeming with a variety of waterfowl. If you are a birder, bringing binoculars will be worth the weight and handsomely rewarded. We also encountered a deer seemingly unconcerned by our presence and several other hikers reported seeing a coyote near the trailhead. My visit was on a weekday and it was not busy by any means. I have since returned for another and longer (2.5 hours) hike. This trail can easily be done in sneakers. I brought my dog on both occasions and I am glad I brought water for both of us as significant portions of the trail are still exposed to the sun. I also brought a lunch as there are many nice shaded places to relax whilst overlooking the wetlands and mountain vistas.

Would class this as easy-moderate. Uphill about half way, then downhill on the return journey. Nice scenery.

The hike was pretty. Some sections are closed due to flood so you cant actually do the loop. Beware of ticks! One section of the path is overgrown. Our dog did not roam off trail and we still ended up pulling over a dozen ticks off her.

really beautiful... birds, water, oaks, wildflowers...lovely!

Beautiful easy hike.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Ducks, pelicans, squirrels and egrets...a fun flat bird sanctuary.

Sunday, February 01, 2015

Monday Jan 12 - 85 min great flat walk - come back when I can run!!

Monday, January 05, 2015

Rode it today as part of a longer ride...it was muddy but I will be back with the wife as it would be a nice hike especially in the spring when things are alive.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

This is one of the loveliest walking trails you'll ever come across. Runners and occasional cyclists share the trail, which can be accessed by driving to the trailhead near Highway 101 or driving to the trailhead located in the Bahia area neighborhood (or you can bicycle there if you want to!). Parking is not much of a hassle at either location. I have walked this trail several times and can guarantee that you will fall in love with it, like I did! Bring some water just in case. It's a moderately easy trail to walk, run or cycle. Your soul and your heart will both love you for trekking on this little gem.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Great trail and great little hike!
Better directions are: Atherton to Bugeia. Trailheads midway on left or at the end of Bugeia on left.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Forgot to rate...

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Very nice....simple enough but not to short...and talk about easily pulling over and hitting the trail...doesn't get easier.