Pinecrest Peak Trail

Pinecrest Peak Trail is a 11.1 mile loop trail located near Pinecrest, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Completed the Pinecrest Lake Loop and went up to Catfish Lake, all in all about 7 miles. The Catfish Lake trail is overrun with downed trees that made it hard to follow the path. Lots of mosquitoes in this area. It was worth seeing Catfish lake despite the difficulties, so peaceful up there. The trail around Pinecrest Lake was more enjoyable, lots of shade, and definitely an easy route. This area is riddled with people so if you'd prefer less crowded hikes, this isn't for you. We didn't complete this hike all the way to the peak, just up to Catfish Lake. It was gnarly up there and not safe for young kids.

Overnight Camping Trip:
20 May 2017 - 21 May 2107

This was our first overnight camp, and a lot of fun too.
We brought a compass and map, which ended up coming in use a few times. True Pine Crest Peak is about 1.5 miles away. Use the "Heat Map" Overlay to find the path to true Pine Crest Peak Trail. The views, sunset, and sunrise at the end of this trail are beautiful!

BEARS ARE ACTIVE:
We spotted a black bear off the lumber trail, near the finishing point. A set of fresh tracks on the Lumber Road on our way back, and one set at the finishing point. Practice your bear warding yelling and keep bear spray on hand. We were not practicing warding yelling and made eye contract from about 200 feet away, very un-nerving. KEEP YOUR PETS ON A LEASH.

CLIMATE:
80's and 90's open sun travel. We packed 3 liters of water each. We did not practice rationing, and used it for 02 food rehydration meals. We are consistent water drinkers and the heat demanded it. Emptied our water supply by the time we returned to the Boat Rental Shop, we also did not do the loop and went from the top of the lake and straight to the end; maybe 10 miles total.

Mosquitos are huge by Catfish Lake and various water bodies. Sunblock then spray. For those who do not know. If using Deet spray; 20-30% only, nothing higher.

SNOW:
There is snow and a large tree blocking the ridge line portion of the trail. Kind of sketchy but doable.
Snow at the finish point, which we used as a fire extinguisher source. It will most likely be melted by next weekend, if the hot weather continues.

TRAIL INFO:
From the Pine Crest Lake Start, there are 2 trees that have been cut down and have blocked the trail very well.

First open rock traversing area heading to Catfish Lake; trail gets very obscure in the woods you will enter. There are rock piles in the open rock area to help give you a general bearing of travel. You will see the obvious first pile, then look left to get an idea of travel. Within the woods about 100 feet radius of entry into the woods is a good trail, but it is hard to find when entering. We will be marking this area for easy travel, on our next run.

There are fallen trees across the ridge trail by Herring Creek.

Catfish Lake:
You are there if you see the wooden TeePee structure in the water. Also there is a junction trail marker in the same area.
Travel past the TeePee and stay follow the trail all the way to the Peak Marker on the Logging Road.

At PEAK MARKER:
There is a pine tree that fell across the road. It obscures the trail on the far side of the road. We missed it and took the Lumber Road to the top. This is also where we found the black bear about 200 feet into the woods from the road. You can use the Lumber Road to get to the finishing point. Follow it through the sharp turn, when it ends, just go up and you are there.

We upgraded the camp fire site a bit. Wind protection and air feeders. Keep it small and extinguishing water nearby, the wind was very sporadic when we were there.

This trail was beautiful! Based on my GPS, it's 12 miles and elevation change was about 2800 feet. Great views around the lake and at the peak. I would have given 5 stars if it wasn't for the wasp that tried to kill me!

Awesome hike. Loved the view all around the lake. Its fun to just get out enjoy the view and the fresh mountain air. Would deffently recommend it to people to give it a try.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Hi I made it to the peak from the the lake parking area. On the return I finished the loop around the lake and the entire walk was a little over 12 miles.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

We started the hike at Herring Creek Lane.. We crossed the log by the old bridge foundation and headed up the path to the left towards Catfish Lake.. We then kept walking to the pond and bark Mi wuk hut.. Not far after this is a junction, we stayed to the right.. It brings you to a road with a trail marker pointing to a rock wall, marked Peak trail, we followed the trail the rest of the way to the top.. We hiked this in January and there were a few patches of snow but those were an added bonus for the kids enjoyment.. The view was amazing and well worth the hike... We jogged the majority of the way back to make save time.. ( Almost all downhill the way back.. ) The hike took us 5 1/2 hours

Friday, September 27, 2013

We love this hike! The dogs love it too. I am confused about the trail is used for off road driving? For all the years I have been coming here I have never seen the gate open to off road vehicles. Hubby and I have based camped at Herring Creek when the season permits. We are an older couple and yes we do huff and puff at the elevation 7000 ft. and the climb up to 8000 + but it is a doable and we always pack water for us and the dogs. Also a good idea to pack some sandwiches and enjoy the views! This in no way connects to Pinecrest Lake. I love the spring season up here because of the water. In the fall, like today, the water is scarce even in the creek. We saw trout that were stranded in the pools today :-( Also watch for when hunting season opens. Today I wore orange along with the dogs, orange bandanas just to be on the safe side. Enjoy!

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I hiked from the town of Strawberry to the Peak in mid-August. The view is SPECTACULAR!! However, if you are in need of clear trail markers this may not be a good first try. Either start from the store in Strawberry (ask about how to reach Catfish Lake, but DON'T BRING FISHING GEAR!), or start from Pinecrest Lake and follow the sign on the West side of the lake for the Catfish lake trail. From either direction you will come to a three way intersection with a large piece of wood standing up. From here the trail obviously heads North. Follow it for about a mile and there will be an old timber road the trail cuts across with a sign that says PEAK. From here the elevation gain is more substantial and the real ascent begins. The trail was designed for mountain bikers so just follow the tracks and cairns all the way to the top. I haven't found any distance estimates going this way but with a few breaks for photos and food the round trip took me a little over six hours. Bring plenty of water as the sun exposure at that elevation is dramatic and dehydration can set in rapidly. By the way my legs feel today I would estimate the distance at about 12+ miles. If anyone gets a chance to pace it off or uses a GPS route I'd love to find out how far it really is :)