Pilot Rock

Pilot Rock is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hilt, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Great hike. First time there and will go back over and over. Very diverse for such a short hike. I did hover scare the living crap out of myself cause I didnt go all the way up the crack at the top. I instead wondered out on the South or Southwest face....havent scared myself that bad in 20 years. After I figured it all out I felt like a turd. I am going back often. Do people really take their pups up there?

Awesome trail!

Well maintained especially considering the tough winter. Spectacular views with the day being so clear yesterday.

Quite the hike. I accidentally added a few more miles making it just at 11 miles. If you want a great workout? This is for you. A little slippery at the top with the shale rock but the views and scenery are amazing! The wildflowers are so beautiful. I started just passed the Mt Ashland turn off.

Really nice view from the top. Definitely worth climbing up.

Better than grizzly

If you are wanting to work out your butt, this trail is it.

can hike the PCT up to a certain point -- then, heading up to the top of pilot rock is awesome but requires technical maneuvering / scrambling -- careful especially if ice present. beautiful view of marble mountains & Shasta if clear weather.