Learn more

Pilot Creek Waterfalls (University Falls) [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(82)
Georgetown, California

Pilot Creek Waterfalls (University Falls) [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 941 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Pilot Creek Waterfalls is on private lands and access is currently strictly prohibited. Please respect signs so that the landowners can work on alternatives to allow safe and legal access. No parking rules in the area are strictly enforced.

private property

Its always been "closed" to the public (not), its usually locals calling in illegally parked cars, don't park in NO PARKING zones. Great hike, probsbly more like 7 or 8 miles, not for dogs unless you have shoes for them. The water(falls)slides are well worth the long hike!!! Take plenty of water and dont leave your trash!! Help keep it clean by picking up trash you see!!

private property

A little discouraged. But we went for it. Parked right next to the yellow snow plow at the fire station. Hit the trail. 2.8 miles in. We found the falls. Had a great time. Follow the clues on the uploaded pics. When you get to a point where there is lots of downed trees. Just find a way through it. as the trail has been blocked. Have fun. !

private property

unfortunately we took the advise that it was open.. we were warned not to go by local fire fighters before heading out. we never found the falls and it was way longer than the 4.8. by the time we got back there was a ticket and a warning they would tow next time. when I looked there are two no parking signs so that was on me. the fire station also says no parking or public access. when we first walked through the locked gate we noticed sheriff ordinances saying to keep out. bummer

private property

Trail hard to find and parts are washed out. You will want to download the map if you want to find the waterfall.

Falls are definitely worth it and fun to slide down. Also, this trail is going to be close to 10 miles round trip for a heads up. 4.8 miles one way. Download the map! It is easy to take a wrong turn. But if you’re cheap like me then screen shot the general map. Park near the quintette fire station and then walk across the street to the yellow gate (1). Disregard the sign about the Pilot creek falls(2) as its almost misleading. Just follow the road. Left at the first split (3) in the road, there is another logging road that could be considered a split but just stay left passed that also. Then there is another true split in the road and take the right(4), follow the road down passed the switchback. After the switch back it is one more split, take the right again(5), you will cross passed a green gate (6) and soon after that is a logging road/trail (7) that slightly dives down to the left, take it. The trail is only about 100yards in and on the right(8). You will see all the blow down trees (along with intentionally cut down trees to try and block the trail) just follow the best path down and it takes you straight to the falls. I will post pictures with the numbers I put in parentheses of the splits also with arrows on them to help those that don’t want to download. Highly suggest just downloading though haha as we hiked an extra 2 miles or so by accident. Oh and there was a big bear on our way back lol

Never found the falls. Trail said closed and the firefighters were very rude in telling us that the trail is not accessible. After some research and from reading the comments here, the trail is NOT closed and there were threats of car towing. It wouldn't actually happen because there were tons of turn offs you can park with ease and there were no "no parking" signs. I would recommend downloading a map you can use without service because it'll be impossible to find without it

Just got outta the pen and boy what a nice place to get out free bein lockedup. Had a great time with the whole gang right my four kids and three of our pit bulls. Let the dogs and kids run loose and run in the loud outside of the city. Quite a change from South Sac. Brought bear spray just in case we see any Fellers around. Thought it might be fun to bring A few tarps for camping season. Let the kids run around and drank a few beers. One of our pits got lost and couldn’t find him so if anyone sees him pls holla at me, my girls sad about that, ...Didn’t see any public restrooms heh. The water was a bit nippy if you know what I mean so we be comin up with the whole gang come July. Will bring my cellmate n his kids up. Didn’t have much a problem with anyone in town. Im guesseng we were left alone because we are bigger fellas with tattoos. My cousins got an RV that I’m wantin to take and spend a few weeks up in this area. Anyone know of any good sewage dumping locations other than roadside? Anyway great outdoors great fun good beer. Will be back with more of the gang.

private property

We got lost so many time towards the end but eventually did get to the waterfalls so added on another 1 1/2 miles to total hike. Overgrown branches & fallen trees made it very difficult to follow the trail, no signage. Tons of mosquitoes bite not too mention!

Trail is definitely closed per signage. Lovely walk, but I never did find the falls.

Never got to the falls; lost phone service and the map so we couldn’t track our location. Parked across the street at the fire station and as we were loading up to come home, a local pulled in and warned us that authorities were towing cars away for parking there and that the trail is closed. We did see a baby tarantula and the back side of a brown bear sauntering down the path ahead. We made lots of noise after that to drive it away. Turned around after 2.8 miles.

Trail is closed, and was pretty much destroyed by the property owner! There’s tress all over the trail which makes very hard to find...No phone signal which makes it almost impossible to find!! I consider this trail extremely dangerous for kids or pets!! I was lucky to find other people that knew the train very well!! BUT the falls are beautiful!! This place it’s amazing !!!