Piedras Pintadas Interpretive Trail

Piedras Pintadas Interpretive Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice walk did not get to see the painted rocks that the sign says is there, made it to the water fall it was pretty small and the area is blocked off. the walk is pretty easy.

Great trail! There is a small waterfall that is closely monitored with surveillance cameras. It was beautiful! My only two complaints werr with the listing and the trail lines up with the sun in a few parts on a sunny day it beams directly on your head. The trail was closer to 3.8 miles than 3.1.

It was a very easy trail, there is a waterfall along the way but it's fenced in with cameras so you can't go up to it. It was pretty to look at though. Watch out for all the mountain bikers.

Great little family hike. We may return in the morning sometime, it got pretty warm on the way back at 2:00pm in May.

Easy trail , lovely rabbits throughout the trail , beautiful lake view , specially at sunset

Super gorgeous trail near the bay! What a pleasant surprise to find such a beautiful trail by a community park! I did have mixed feelings at first since as I drove into the parking lot of a community park....it was hard to imagine looking at beautiful scenery in peace near a park where kids go on slides and ride the swings. I was so wrong though! I went on a weekend so it is possible that there are a lot more people during the weekends. But the scenery is still beautiful!

We did the Piedras Pintadas trail & the Bernardo Bay trail. Both are mostly flat with very little incline and the trails are maintained quite well. Some sections of the trail were closed but there were several side trails to go around the closed areas. The trail around the Bernardo Bay was absolutely gorgeous! I took a break with my dog on top of one the rocks and just enjoyed the beauty of the bay and surrounding mountains. Lots of bunnies and lots of lizards. The Piedras Pintadas trail was not as scenic but was nice how it had panels explaining the different types of plants.

Overall really nice easy hike/stroll. Would be a great trail running course for beginners. If you are looking for a lot of uphill/climb this hike is not for you. Dogs are allowed on leash. Restrooms are inside the community building. Parking is free.

Total miles - 6.4, Total elevation gain - 305 ft.

A nice easy walk that even my "I hate walking" child enjoyed. We saw lot of birds and rabbits. Definitely doing it again.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

beautiful and informative.

Monday, August 15, 2016

well maintained easy trail.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Easy and enjoyable would be better in cooler weather.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

It was a good hike, but I think if you try to do it in the summer it would be very very hot and dry.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Leisurely. A community trail, with an after-dinner stroll often sharing the trail with someone who mountain-biked in for a night ride. Great mix of wildlife - watch for rattlesnakes (learn from me...). Take someone for a walk here, and you'll convince them to join you somewhere more remote next time.

Friday, July 03, 2015

A good open trail with varied terrain and vegetation. The trail offers views of Lake Hodges from different altitudes. The knowledge gained from the trail was neat but at some point I wondered if the interpretations were still appropriate - the description of plants which were no longer around. I didn't see much wildlife midday other than butterflies, birds, and bugs. Take plenty of water and slather on the sunscreen - there was but a few parts of the trail that were covered. Met a few bikers who, at certain rockier areas, had to carry their bikes.

Monday, June 24, 2013

This is a great leisure trail, I take my mountain bike here regularly because it offers easy routes and if I so desire I am close to more challenging hill climbs which are part of the many interconnected trails. The views of the surrounding hills and the lake are just awesome too. I take new comers here a lot to show them the small streams and waterfalls too. A great place for the family to hike or bike.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nice hike beautiful views. Cabin is great insights my curiosity, too bad you can't get closer to the cabin. Lots of wildlife tons of fun worth the drive and the trails are great.

Friday, May 04, 2012

Nice because it is so accessible, and has a lot of shade in spots. Easy mostly flat terrain. Expect lots of people & mountain bikers on trail during weekends. There is a water crossing and inaccessible small falls.

90 % of is bikeable
not crowded at all !
dogs loved it !
bunnys are everywhere !!
several spots allowed access to lake
connected to several trails so exploring them was fun

it would be nice to have more markers so I wouldn't feel the need to pull out google maps