Pictograph Trail

Pictograph Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

off road driving

Parking at the trail-head.

This hike ends atop a dry waterfall overlooking the valley below. The weekend rains brought snow to the Lagunas and a partial rainbow in the early morning light. We saw one boulder with pictographs and on the right just before the end of the trail are numerous morteros.

great hike. super easy gently slopes up and down a couple times. pictographs are awesome about halfway between the start and dry waterfall. lots of chollas along the trail but also tons of flowers. it gets sandy past the pictographs as you walk through the wash but I didn't notice it with hiking boots and a 40 pound kid on my back. wear long sleeve and pants as with any other desert hiking. awesome view at the end there is a be Hive underneath the fall tho but they were cool.

Short and sweet!! we were a bit disappointed since we were expecting to see more hyeroglyphs and there is only one to see, but... we went to the end and what a wonderful view on the Vallecito Valley below!!

Friday, April 08, 2016

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Monday, March 28, 2016

Did this hike with my family and we loved it! nice pictograph and the Smugglers Canyon outlook was amazing!

Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday, January 11, 2016

NIce little hike, good for kids. There is a sign at the trailhead that says no dogs on the trail, so I'm not so sure this is a dog friendly hike. I would call and check with the rangers on that. The trail is easy to follow, but wear long pants for all the cacti.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Great hike. The best part is the last part near the canyon and dry falls. Perfect place to stop for lunch before heading back out. There are some larger rocks to climb over and it's easy to brush up against cacti so I'd suggest wearing long pants and really watching your footing. The soft sand in several spots makes this a little more challenging to hike through, but easily doable.

Thursday, October 09, 2014

I

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Friday, January 03, 2014

good easy hike. enjoyed seeing the wall with the pictographs. I dont love walking through the sand in running shoes...I play indoor & sand vball. unfortunately didn't hike further & wish we did but we hiked there from the other side of the valley for 3+ hrs and need to get back before dark. from the looks of another review its very worth it.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fun trail for all ages. From the trailhead, in Little Blair Valley, which has parking available, you'll make your way upslope and wend your between boulders. The trail is mostly well marked and easy to follow, though pretty sandy, which makes it a little harder than one might think. Keep to the right of the wash (south) and you can't miss the rock with the Pictographs. During the spring, fall and winter you can see how popular this trail is and don't be surprised to see art groups and even folks performing ancient Indian rituals at the site. To add a little spice to this hike continue a 1/4 mile or so farther down the wash to the Smuggler Canyon dry fall to get a beautiful view of the Vallectio Valley.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We did this hike in early march 2011. We turned it into an over night backpacking trip no permit or anything required. park at the visitor center for free. there was no one else on the trail once we got far enough and later in the afternoon. We lounged around in the different pools and rinsed off under the waterfalls. It was a great trail perfect for a quick turn around trip. Would never go in the summer way too hot and be prepared to climb some boulders and make your own trail since it tends to disappear but your in a slot canyon so you can't get lost.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Nice hike in Anza Borrega. Easy trail, it's a little sandy which can make the uphill parts a little harder. Hike all the way to the dry waterfall. You will not be disappointed!!

Monday, March 05, 2012

Wonderfully quiet. The first 2/3 of the trail is relatively easy. The last 1/3 requires climbing over some boulders. For a recreational hiker like us, I would rate it moderate. You have to be able to climb a bit to get to the end where you are treated to a small waterfall. and beautiful view. We went the 3rd of March. I certainly would not go in the summer when the temps soar. This spring the flowers were not too great as they didn't have enough rain, but we will go again next year. Great outing!