Phantom Falls is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Across meadows to reach the top of several waterfalls on Table Mountain in Oroville. Please note that each visitor is required to have a pass. Visit the following link for more information: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/lands/places-to-visit/north-table-mountain-er

Not worth the drive from Redding late May. No wildflowers, brown grasses and a trickle of a stream for the falls. Good walk but not worth the drive this time of year. We were a month or two too late.

Very rocky at some parts. No shade when you reach phantom falls.

Disappointed in easy rating. I may be a wimp but as a relatively new hiker, this trail has some treacherous spots with slippery rocks, steep and narrow areas that are at 0.8 miles from the falls. Although most is easy, these areas are moderate. I could hear yelling about steepness. Babies being carried on backs. I guess that we need more experience but this is not easy like some of your other ones rated that way. Also almost all wildflowers gone by now. Few in creeks.

Easy hike, there’s no shade so I recommend going when it’s a bit cloudy. Gets a bit windy.

private property

We went 4/19/20, not sure what fees were needed, but we simply parked and hiked, followed the people and asked a couple questions. Followed the trail markings and had a great time. Alot of my friends asked about it being closed but there were alot of people. As you start to hike spacing becomes normal to see maybe 1-2 people ahead or behind you, we got some great pics @ashervance

fee

Great trail with some variety of terrain. Lots of loose rocks, so ankle support is smart. Hiked Sat morning. Arrived at 8:30am and finished at 11:30am. It was PACKED—Loads of people. Not sure if this is normal for this trail or if Covid19 is getting everyone outside. Pay your fee online before you go. We had very little service up there. Waterfall is starting to get thin.

Soooo many people on this trail. I would HIGHLY suggest getting here 7am or earlier especially on the weekends/holidays. Good short trail.

We hiked about 5 hours with 3 adults and 2 kids ages 8 and 12. We did the whole trail and saw about 4 or 5 falls. You don't have to hike the whole thing, you will still see the main fall and a other smaller one. Phantom is about 3 miles or so round trip. The whole trail is around 7. I would NOT recommend doing the whole thing with using a map or GPS os some sort or you will get lost because the trail disappears often and for awhile. Cows are everywhere and not gated. They are pretty chill, but some spots were more intimidating than others (only if doing all 7 miles). The wild flowers are amazing and the landscape in general is worth your time!

private property

I wouldn't put this hike under the level of easy, it has some steep incline, narrow parts and rocky parts that you really have to watch your footing with. I highly recommend getting there early, by the time noon came around the trail and parking lot was packed even for a Tuesday. overall a beautiful trail with great wildflowers. The falls were a bit low. if you're looking for a quiet place to avoid people, I wouldn't go here.

Beautiful trails but waterfalls are low in flowing water. Trial is not marked well. Go early so you can park and enjoy a breeze.

A popular trail. Easy enough and can get some nice photos w the waterfalls there. Definitely worth it

barely any people the earlier you go. great for social distancing. less wildflowers than years previous

GET THERE EARLY! I REPEAT GET THERE EARLY! It’s so much more nicer to enjoy without the crowds of people. Arrived at 7:30 am and there were only 2 cars in the parking. We began to see more people around 9:30 am on our way back. On our way out at 10:00 am we came across tons and tons of people. I believe there is an even easier way to get there where you cross private property. However, the trail I took is pretty open until about half a mile before Ravine Falls where it gets narrow when you start descending down. Once you continue from Ravine falls to Phantom falls it’s real rocky and narrow as your ascending. Trail opens back up once you’re at the top again. With that being said it’s a fairly easy hike.

private property

A lot of foot traffic here. Definitely rocky but nothing that’s too overwhelming. No shade for the first 1.5 miles once you get down to the waterfalls it’s nice and shaded. April/ May definitely is the best time to go for the flowers.