Phantom Falls

Phantom Falls is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Across meadows to reach the top of several waterfalls on Table Top Mountain in Oroville.

Awesome. Watch out for rattlesnakes. Barely avoided stepping on one. They like to warm themselves up on the trail

Sooooo...Where to begin?
Todays hiking journey was not very great. However, it did not deter me from wanting to go back next spring or winter. I just chose a bad time to go. I found the way down, but I did not go to the bottom of the fall. I was just scared to go down there by myself, but I am excited to find someone to go with next time!
I began my hike at 4:50 AM. There was one other car in the lot, but he was just sleeping.
Pros
1. No one around.
2. Saw a skunk and did not get sprayed! I have never seen a live one before and wanted to get closer, but I kept my distance. I was still excited though. Skunks are so cute.
3. Really beautiful as the sun came up.
4. Easy hike, and fun because of the barbed wire and lack of trail.
5. Cows!
Cons:
1. No shade.
2. No bathrooms. I always carry a GoGirl, but it didn't make a difference because there are no areas to find privacy, although I didn't see ANYONE till I returned to the parking lot and there was a group of 3 starting the trail. I still didn't want to go in the WIDE open.
3. The falls are completely dry at this time. You can hear a little trickle, but it just runs down the rocks.
4. I should have believed another person's review who says there are "millions" of crickets. I thought they were over exaggerating, but they weren't!! I really don't like crickets and these things were everywhere! Jumping all around my feet, legs, thighs, and getting up to my arms for 95% of the trail. I am pretty scared of bugs, and crickets are one of my least favorite because of their jumping. It must be mating season or...something, they were coupling up all over the place! I am sure I made quite the spectacle moving a couple steps a minute and kicking and flailing! Eventually I just pushed on, and by the time I got to Phantom and turned back around to head back, I just walked right through. Kinda sorta conquered a fear! Yay!
5. This isn't necessarily a con, I thought it was fun, but holy moly, people weren't lying. No markers, and the trail absolutely disappears. If I hadn't had my phone and the AllTrails app, I wouldn't have found it. I am very lucky I didn't see a rattlesnake, because I was walking through tall dry grass. You can tell that other people wandered around just as much as me. It was an adventure though!