Phantom Falls

Phantom Falls is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oroville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Across meadows to reach the top of several waterfalls on Table Top Mountain in Oroville.

Breathtaking and solitude when you find it. Start early morning so you have time incase you get lost.Fell in love with the view itself Definitely bring GPS/compass with you. There are no sure trails at all. Stay away from bull they will charge you. Expect some rainy, cold and windy hike. So happy to have a cell signal both at@t and Tmobile but just bring an extra power bank incase your CP will drain. Pack list are: waterproof jacket/waterproof boots/waterproof backpack/warmer/lipgloss/3-4liters of electrolyte h2o/gloves/hoodies/first aid kit/lunch/granola bar/advil/flashlight/camera/gopro/tripod/utility knife. Plan your trip with care. Study the trail map and always ask your friend/relatives if you're going for a hike by yourself.

only go if you want to stroll through cow pasture with cows. do not trust the alltrails route, it's not reliable.

Great. Unique views and terrain. Felt very volcanic. Note that the trails are kinda vague and barely marked. You definitely want a sense of direction and a saved map/screenshot and compass to keep yourself oriented.

The water was flowing very little, but just enough to still have waterfalls.

It seems this will be beautiful after some rain provides clearer air, more green, and gushing water.

The dirt there seems to retain water very strongly even after no rain for weeks.

Awesome. Watch out for rattlesnakes. Barely avoided stepping on one. They like to warm themselves up on the trail

Sooooo...Where to begin?
Todays hiking journey was not very great. However, it did not deter me from wanting to go back next spring or winter. I just chose a bad time to go. I found the way down, but I did not go to the bottom of the fall. I was just scared to go down there by myself, but I am excited to find someone to go with next time!
I began my hike at 4:50 AM. There was one other car in the lot, but he was just sleeping.
Pros
1. No one around.
2. Saw a skunk and did not get sprayed! I have never seen a live one before and wanted to get closer, but I kept my distance. I was still excited though. Skunks are so cute.
3. Really beautiful as the sun came up.
4. Easy hike, and fun because of the barbed wire and lack of trail.
5. Cows!
Cons:
1. No shade.
2. No bathrooms. I always carry a GoGirl, but it didn't make a difference because there are no areas to find privacy, although I didn't see ANYONE till I returned to the parking lot and there was a group of 3 starting the trail. I still didn't want to go in the WIDE open.
3. The falls are completely dry at this time. You can hear a little trickle, but it just runs down the rocks.
4. I should have believed another person's review who says there are "millions" of crickets. I thought they were over exaggerating, but they weren't!! I really don't like crickets and these things were everywhere! Jumping all around my feet, legs, thighs, and getting up to my arms for 95% of the trail. I am pretty scared of bugs, and crickets are one of my least favorite because of their jumping. It must be mating season or...something, they were coupling up all over the place! I am sure I made quite the spectacle moving a couple steps a minute and kicking and flailing! Eventually I just pushed on, and by the time I got to Phantom and turned back around to head back, I just walked right through. Kinda sorta conquered a fear! Yay!
5. This isn't necessarily a con, I thought it was fun, but holy moly, people weren't lying. No markers, and the trail absolutely disappears. If I hadn't had my phone and the AllTrails app, I wouldn't have found it. I am very lucky I didn't see a rattlesnake, because I was walking through tall dry grass. You can tell that other people wandered around just as much as me. It was an adventure though!