Penner Lake Trail

Penner Lake Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike. Lots of trail traffic on the day I hiked, but very beautiful scenery and good to be outside.

Great hike that goes past some other beautiful lakes as well. Plus, the jumping rock at Penner is an awesome reward for the effort getting there

Just did Round Lake trail, TH at Carr Lake off 17. I would strongly recommend this TH as opposed to going to Grouse Ridge, and working back westward. The Carr TH is MUCH easier to access, and will take you to the Penner/Crooked lake trail between Feeley and Island lakes. No prob getting to Carr lake TH on 17, though it is 4 miles of 5mph bouncing over rock and ruts. Doable however. Note that the trail map shows starting at the eastern end of the trail, at Grouse ridge. Just follow the driving instructions to end at the Carr Lake TH.

Great day of hiking. Beautiful trail with wildflowers and crystal clear lakes. We were able to swim at Crocked lake and Island lake. We also hike to ridge above Penner to see Culbersome lake. Can't wait to return soon.

Beautiful sites! Relatively easy hike.

I was just there 5 days ago (well, I went to Island Lake, didn't have time to make it to Penner), and there is absolutely no snow on the roads. There are a few patches here and there on the trail from Carr Lake to Island, but nothing that requires changing plans. I took Forest Rd 17 and parked at the parking lot by Carr Lake. I'll be going to Penner Lake in a couple days again and I'll update if the trail itself has issues. But as far as the road is concerned, it's clear.

Lots of snow still! Cannot drive all the way to the campground / trail head due to snow and down trees. There is still five feet of snow in places and the trail is difficult to navigate due to snow and down trees. Many signs are also down. We got lost a few times looking for the trail. Bring a chainsaw and a GPS.

Just whet back this weekend and had snow!

Just whet back this weekend and had snow!

This was my very first backpacking trip and I absolutely loved it. I was nervous I wouldn't be able to handle the elevation with my pack but it was totally doable. We started on Friday afternoon and hiked to Island Lake where we stayed for the first night. The second day we hiked up to Penner Lake which was difficult with my pack but not impossible. We enjoyed the beauty of nature and how quiet it was up there. Then the third day we made our way from Penner Lake back to Grouse Ridge camping area and headed home. Overall the hike was beautiful and calming with not a ton of people which made it even nicer.

This is a destination that will not disappoint you. It's very forgiving on the feet and thighs and views are breathtaking! I've hiked it twice during the month of June and it's well shaded until the last mile. Most is flat until the very end but worth the climb!