Pelican Nature Trail

Pelican Nature Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Vernalis, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Other than the midget flies who chewed my lower legs up pretty badly (my own fault for hiking in shorts and no bug spray) it was a good hike. As everyone else has stated some trails still closed. Lots of cotton tails and ground squirrels to see along the manmade road trail. Plenty of shade even on a warm day. A lot of parking and bathrooms at the trailhead. No fees to park so it's free to hike.

Ok trail for beginners. Lots of Rabbits and lizards

Great place and local, lots of shade, dogs are allowed as long as they are leashed (remember to pick up after your dogs). Didn't see a person on the trails, walked over 4 miles, still some areas are closed off but still was able to get 4 miles in. There's plenty of shaded places and lots of animals, ducks, random birds, squirrels, rabbits, turtles, deer. I'll definitely come back. It does get warm, I left by 10 but it was already pretty warm.

most of the trail is closed off due to flooding. Will need to go once the hike is open again

It's not as big as some trailed but it's a really pleasant hideaway and a nice little hike. If you into animal watching this place is always filled with various animals depending on the time of year.

It's like a private little forest (almost)

Lots of quail and riparian brush rabbits... good early morning or evening hike... good birding​.

Went yesterday. It was hot, trail is flooded 1/4 mile out, no shade except one tree 1/2 mile away. We were the only car there If that tells you anything. Will not be back.

A good portion of the trail is still under water and closed. When I was there the gnats were plentiful but nothing bit me and I saw no mosquitos. Even with the closed sections I was able to get in a 4 mile "out and back" hike in, that was full of Riparian Brush Rabbits and Quail. I will go back so I can see the parts of the Refuge that I missed due to closures for flooding. Very easy hike with no elevation changes.

Easy trail, excellent terrain for families/small children. We like to hike early am, but couldn't start until nearly noon. The mosquitoes/biting bugs are OFF THE HOOK this year, seriously never been but up like this on a hike before. Lots of rabbits, birds, tadpoles, watched catfish spawn in the river - amazing place to watch wildlife - snakes (Uggh). We won't return, the bug bites are awful & snakes aren't for me...could be a great walk/family hike for others though!

This is a nice easy trail for kids, Riparian bunnies and California Quail crisscross in front of you the entire way. You can't do the entire look due to flooding, but still lots of wildlife to see and hear.

I've been out here a few times this spring. Being so close to modesto makes it great for me. Can't wait for the water to lower so I can do the whole loop

I recommend going very early to catch the sun rising, makes the view and trail hike more breathtaking. Also may catch the critters(wild rabbits, hawks, squirrels & etc.) coming out and hunting for food. It's quite adorable. Perfect place to take photos of the animals and the scenery. Especially if you like to take photos of variety of birds. Also recommend going around February before spring and winter ends. You'll be able to see the sun( as it rises) melt the icy trail and plants, quite beautiful(that is if you go early). Overall worth it!

Nice, easy walk. Lots of bunnies & birds. Parts of the trail are currently closed due to flooding, but the main trail is still open. Overall a really great experience. We'll be back for sure.

Monday, July 11, 2016

This is what i like to see. People restoring the San Joaquin river to its natural setting. Beautiful park and grate views of the river! Most of the trail is flat so its good for all ages! Definitely worth the drive out here!!