Pebbly Beach Quarry via Trans Catalina Trail

Pebbly Beach Quarry via Trans Catalina Trail is a 14.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avalon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,627 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Most of the way was on a wide fire road and sometimes golf carts would drive by but otherwise we didn’t see anyone on the trail :) lots of wildflowers, some good elevation gain but not overly steep at any one point. Hope to do more of the trans-Catalina trail soon!

Friday, November 04, 2016

I did this solo very early the morning after St Patrick's day in 2006 when my brother got married on Catalina. I woke up at daylight and couldn't get my son to go so just took off on Pebbly rd until I found a trail. Strangely no one around until I got to the Trans Catalina Trail and then there were lots of people running. Unknown before I started my little journey I had hiked into a Marathon Route. I gave all the runners plenty of room so no one minded. I eventually came upon some race officials but there was simply nowhere else to go. It was a fantastic hike with incredible breath taking views and difficult climbs. I actually ended up with a participants medallion later that night that I won in a pool game at one of the little local bars. Strange but true. My son really got a kick out of that one...