Pear Lake Trail

Pear Lake Trail is a 12.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sequoia National Park, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fly fishing, and backpacking and is best used from June until October.

fly fishing

Directions from Big Stump Entrance: Follow Highway 180 northward to Generals Highway. Turn right on to Generals Highway and follow it approximately 27 miles to the turn off for Wolverton. Turn left and drive two miles to the trailhead.

I spent a couple of months in Sequoia/KC this past summer and this was probably my favorite day hike of all. I started my hike late in the day and was only able to make it to Emerald Lake before having to turn back; it still supplied me with some of the most memorable views from my Sequoia summer.

I took the hump route on the way up and down, which I don't recommend. It was just steep, tedious, and relatively unimpressive. Take the watchtower up and the hump route down, as someone suggested below. Saw what looked like some mountain lion (or other large animal) scat, so be aware. The trail was in great condition when I hiked it and I'd most certainly go again!

Awesome hike. The alpine lakes are beautiful! Encountered a bear on the trail about 5 minutes into this hike (which was awesome) but definitely be on the look out.
When you get to the split in the trail go up the watch tower route. Don’t bother with the hump route. The views are way better with watch tower and it isn’t as steep

Great trail with epic views! Recommend taking the Watchtower route to be amazed by the Tokopah Valley below. While Pear Lake is the final destination on this route, don’t discount camping at Emerald Lake. Both are extremely rewarding locations on this challenging yet totally doable hike. A must for Sequoia lovers!

Somewhat tough trail, but the views are totally worth it. We camped at Pear Lake, and were the only people there.

Love this hike good over night pack. A little Challenging. Good to go watchtower in and the hump trail out

Great backpacking trip. One of the shortest hikes to get to view real back country scenery. Fishing was great.

I've been hiking this place since I was a teen. Lots of fun. I wouldn't call it a difficult hike if your in shape. Tons to see and enjoy. Bad thing is it's very popular now. Try to catch it during the week and try to hike past the first lake. Other wise You'll be stuck with the weekend hikers that don't know how to talk about any thing other then social media. Lol over all a fun hike.

Amazing. We hiked this trail out and back in about 6 hrs. Including a swimm brrrrrrrrrrr cold. and some down time at the lake. Amazing views and prestine scenery. It was a bit of a trek on the way in a lot of uphill but the lake and the views were the ultimate payoff. The first two lakes are nice but if you have the strength and willing to go the extra two miles you will see why it far exceeds the views of the lakes below. Probably one of the most amazing hikes in the park.

Thoroughly exhausting and thoroughly exhilarating! Four of us spent two nights at Emerald Lake below Pear - we all thought the sites there were nicer. Plenty of mosquitos. Another mile to Pear for a day hike. Highly recommended: add another mile with an excursion down the Pear Lake drainage, past the Ranger hut to view the Marble Fork of the Kaweah River rushing down the granite slopes on the way to the canyon below. Stunning! Then bushwhack back up to the main trail. No campfires at Emerald or Pear, but bear boxes and vault toilets (yay!) at both.

Like Alpine Lakes? My brother and I hiked this as a day hike, went past 4 different alpine lakes and was absolutely stunning. Not an easy climb, bring hiking poles if you want to save stamina. Defiantly doable with hiking poles for non-avid hikers.

Go via the watchtower if it's open, easier and better views