PCT: CA Section G - Walker Pass to Crabtree Meadow (Mount Whitney)

PCT: CA Section G - Walker Pass to Crabtree Meadow (Mount Whitney) is a 116.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Inyokern, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 116.7 miles Elevation Gain: 24,898 feet Route Type: Point to Point

My son and I chose this trail to start off the 2019 hiking season. It was a brisk winter afternoon with a steady breeze. The trail is rated "Difficult" and for good reason: A very steep climb and heck of a leg workout. But the Scenic Vistas are breathtaking and well worth the effort. Kiava wilderness, Owens Peak trail wilderness / Mojave Desert and Southern Sierras all encompass this uniquely diverse ecosystem / landscape. We got started just after noon. We took the trail about 3.5 miles up making frequent stops admiring the landscapes and rock formations along the way. However, we started to run out of sunlight and had to loop around another trail down a slope into a Joshua tree woodland and make our way out before nightfall. Watching the sunset while trekking through a grove of Joshua trees...enough said. We will be coming back soon. I Highly recommended this trail especially if you admire rugged beauty and diverse landscapes. Get out there and enjoy this challenging uphill workout before it gets too HOT!!! Happy trails to all in 2019.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Did an out and back of 17 miles (to Owens Peak saddle). Loved the views and space, really recommend the walk. Was planning to try the saddle up the peak but the rain came and my tired legs voted to turn around instead!

Friday, May 18, 2018

I have spent time on several sections of the pct the section between Kennedy meadows campground and mt. Whitney is absolutely beautiful.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Hiked for 6 days sobo during early September in 2017. exit at Kennedy Meadow. The water is just OK. The view is good, though not very beautiful... The trail is relatively easy compared to the Sierra part, I like it.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

I feel in love with the Sierras at this point. I had no idea what was ahead on the John Muir trail.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Got it class of 2017. Great section, but still a bit dry.

Sunday, September 02, 2018