PCT: CA Section A - Campo to Warner Springs

PCT: CA Section A - Campo to Warner Springs is a 104 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Campo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

The start of the Pacific Crest Trail on the Mexican border, at Campo, CA. The journey of a thousand miles (or 2650) begins with a single step.

Got it class of 2017. Lots of water this year and some great times and views. Got that first 26 miles in on day one too.

So hot did in 2015 little water.

If you don't have 5-6 months to take off to thru hike the entire PCT then do it on the weekends. There are numerous side hikes and peaks to bag along the way. Anyone can hike this trail. It's very well maintained and marked. There are no really strenuous climbs or descents.. You have no excuses. Find a partner and do this. You'll be so glad you did!

Did this first "Section A" with a friend who is thru-hiking the whole PCT. What an amazing trip this year. There has been a lot of rain in the region this winter / spring which has led to water where we haven't seen it in years and beautiful blooms throughout the desert.

We did the 114 miles in total after making a couple side trips to get milkshakes (by Lake Morena) and stopping in Laguna for fuel. Across 6 days, this was a fairly challenging hike. On day one we stopped at Lake Morena for water and then moved on and stayed at Boulder Oak Campground the first night which was nice and quiet. Stayed at Laguna Campground the second night which had nice bathrooms and made a good water stop. From there we went to Scissors Crossing which had a nice water cache, but was quite the wind tunnel. It was also in a flash flood area. I would recommend camping elsewhere if you can and simply stop here for the cache. Next we stayed at the 3rd Gate Water Cache which had some good camping spots. We took one secluded one down in the valley after hiking down to the water cache which is .9 miles from the 3rd gate. Finally, we stayed in Barrel Springs before hiking the last 8 miles out. We took another campsite in the far back after the water spigot. This was another good spot that I would recommend staying.

Being familiar with the area, we covered our bodies completely to stay out of the sun. Between that and starting just at sunrise and then camping under a tarp between 11am and 2-3pm and hiking again until 6, meant that we were able to stay cool and fresh enough to get good miles in and make good use of water. Highly recommend this tactic through the desert. We saw a lot of sun-burnt and exhausted people on our way through.

If you're hiking through, make the extra stop in Julian and get some free apple pie which they offer to hikers on the PCT!

I'm 65 and together with my 28 y.o. son hiked from PCT Southern Terminus to Kitchen Creek Rd March 26 thru 29, camping night #1 at Hauser Creek and night #2 at Lake Morena. Day #3 we made it to Kitchen Creek Rd but my light- complected son was suffering from severe sunburn, so In the evening, we walked downhill 3 mi. where my other son collected us at I-8. Intend to resume quickly as possible. Much of the trail had been damaged by winter rains. But creeks & streams flowed abundantly.

Nice trail, we hiked 10 miles in total. Definitely would be very hot during summer time but there was a nice river running and a few shady spots. Also runs over the railroad track which is cool! Make sure you have enough water especially during a hot day.

We hiked in the snow approximately 4 miles. It was spectacular! There was so much snow. Breathtaking but grueling! Must do!!!!

Hitched a ride into Julian within 5 minutes from the scissor crossing. Awesome town.

Had an awesome time in march of 15.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

got a 4 star because it's the desert and I like the mountains more.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Beautiful scenery

Monday, September 08, 2014

We of course didn't do the whole trail but we did about 10 miles. It was extremely hot today and depending on where you are on the trail there might not be any shade. The view was nice and we were able to hike into the forest after about 5 miles or so. Bring lots of water in the hotter months!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The southern terminus of the PCT, this is the starting place for many hiking adventures.

Saturday, February 01, 2014

When I first came here to California, The first two weeks were spent camping everywhere up in this area, and around Julian. Did as many of these trails as far as I could every day. Beautiful!

Monday, August 26, 2013

I was reluctant to hike the southern part of the PCT because of the heat and lack of water but I was pleasantly surprised. I started in Campo April 21 and stopped in at the ADZPCTKO (kickoff party), went to some talks about finding water and set out on what turned out to be a beautiful walk. Everything was in bloom and water wasn’t that big of a problem with a little planning. I walked 558 miles to Tehachapi and had a wonderful time.