Learn more

Patrick's Point Rim Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(62)
Patrick's Point State Park

Patrick's Point Rim Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trinidad, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 180 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

A very nice hike! Some areas were overgrown, but a lot of it was well maintained with a wide trail. Seemed very wheelchair accessible, especially given many breaks to parking lots/the campground road. There were many offshoots up crazy rocks, beautiful vistas, tucked away creeks, and down to beaches. We made this short hike into about 6 miles going on every extra trail we saw.

Beautiful wildflowers in late June. Wild cucumber, roses, and more. Agate beach nice.

Lots of short lookout trails connect to this. Awesome views of the rugged coast.

Rim trail to Agate beach with Patrick Point and Lookout Rock

my favorite trail, whenever I need to burn off a couple of hours. Mostly flat, views of ocean and bluff. Stop at the lookouts to take in the scenery.

Thu Jul 04 2019

We checked out this trail and all of it's offshoots a few days back. It was pretty but just didn't compare to our other hikes on this trip. Very easy access to the vistas is you aren't up for a tough hike but if you are I would pick a different spot and skip Patrick's all together. if you have an hour to kill like we did however it was pretty enough to keep us entertained for a while.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Short little hike along the ocean side of the park. A number of little branch points with the option of finding a lookout near the sea. Worth checking them all out. If you plan to head down closer to the water, be prepared for a few spots with deep mud. Overall great views of the shoreline.

Wed Mar 13 2019

Loved this trail. Well marked, beautiful views, nice and easy hike.

Sat Sep 15 2018

Amazing views, short and very sweet

Tue Aug 14 2018

The Rim Trail is a good hike with lots of short offshoots that give you great views. My wife and our 2 year old daughter hiked it. My daughter rode in a jogging stroller the entire length. We hiked a little over 4 miles of the trails. Very Scenic and a good hike. I know these reviews are very subjective but I gave it 3 stars because I felt the day use fee was high, which was needed to park in the park. $8. I know it's a small amount to pay for a nice hike but most other places were half as much, or free. The other reason for 3 stars was that I felt the different trails and offshoots were not marked very well on the ground. The map we were provided was great, but the signs on the trail were a little confusing and I wasn't sure much of the time where we were in the park or whether we had taken the right branch. Other than those things, it is a beautiful hike.

Sat Jun 23 2018

great way to see the whole area , this links all the neat littlw areas along one trail , can also get a great view of the campgrounds , and day use areas , get all the views .. fun easy hike

Mon May 07 2018

We took each trail we could to hike every rock formation and back to Rim Trail for a good 4.4 mile hike. Always happy climbing rocks an hiking.

Mon Apr 30 2018

Nice easy trail with great views. We took a lot of forks off the main trail to checkout some lookouts and to hike to the beach. We even saw a few seals!

Sun Nov 12 2017

Very pretty trail, but did not go all the way through. Parts of it were closed. The parts that we did get to see were very pretty with lots of adorable banana slugs and the sound of seals.

Fri Oct 20 2017

What a great trail!! The entire thing and all the little trails that shoot off of it lead to amazing ocean views. Total miles for us was 4.2. Not many ppl since it’s October. Two thumbs up!

Tue Aug 29 2017

Really pretty hike. Saw some sea lions.

Thu Aug 03 2017

Great short hike with beautiful views. Kept our two year old in the pack because of steep cliffs. Bring your binoculars! Lots of harbor seals and other sea life on the rocks down below.

Sun Jul 23 2017

This was a great morning walk. I started near Palmer's Point and walked to Lookout Point. There were many small break off trails that took you to spots to admire views of the ocean. There aren't very many signs along the way but always take the path towards the West and you'll be on the right one, otherwise you end up in the campgrounds our parking lots. No dogs allowed, sadly, but dull a great walk. Take all the smaller trails that are along this trail. The views are worth it.

Fri Dec 02 2016

Maybe the better hike in the park... did everything in the park today

Sun Nov 13 2016

The best part of this trail are all the short trails that veer off for gorgeous views. The rocky ridge trail and wedding rock trail in particular. Some of the trails are closed off, it won't show it on the paper map but in the visitors center it is updated.

Thu Jul 14 2016

Nice walk around the rim of the park among trees with great views.

Sun Jun 05 2016

Very nice views and pleasant surroundings. I started the hike from the south end. The Rim Trail from the intersection of the Rocky Point spur was closed and the trail was modified, but he maps are not updated. Another spot further down was nearly washed out, so be careful of your footing or you'll end up down an embankment. I finally turned around just after Wedding Rock spur because a huge tree was down over the trail. I wasn't able to see if the trail beyond was even being maintained. This trail has huge potential if they'd do a little trail maintenance.

Fri Jun 12 2015

Nice and easy. Nice way to enjoy an afternoon.

Sat Jan 12 2013

Good short coastal trail in this tiny state park. There are lots of overlooks and a few steep "beach" access trails in various states of disrepair. There are also practically no trail signs. Currently (1/2013) they want a day-use fee of $8 to get in, with no drive-throughs.

Sun Aug 22 1999

Beautiful walk along the rim