Partington Cove Trail

Partington Cove Trail is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking.

beach

A hike down a steep road that will take you over a wooden bride and through a tunnel to a view of the protected Partington Cove. The hike back up the hill will be steep, but is short. There is a lovely quick side trip to a river if you take the path left of the wildlife sign before the bridge. Highly recommend--it's peaceful and secluded, and you can take some time to enjoy the shade and the sound of the water.

I wouldn’t miss this again. Pretty easy hiking and incredible views of a river to a waterfall to the ocean. Beautiful.

Partington Cove is a great, albeit heavily trafficked, easy stop, right off ofthe 1 on the north end of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park which offers an introduction to Big Sur’s rugged coastal beauty and charm. There is also a riparian environment here, as the cove serves as one of the steep mountains of Big Sur’s thousands of drainages. Although it is short and good for children, the hike back up is steep. Definitely not the kind of place one would ever get in the water, and be careful of breaking waves if you decide to wander out on the rocks, especially on the far side of the tunnel. There are some great spots to explore, but the ocean is no joke! Keep your wits about you, and always make sure you can get back from where you are venturing out to!

A nice, quick little stop, I was lucky enough to have the cove to myself during sunset, and it was just barely misting and full sun...absolutely beautiful...do not climb the rocks too much like I did, I realized after climbing to a point that I was in a pretty remote spot and could have easily fallen off a cliff into the ocean with no safe way back out...hopefully people are wiser than me

It was pretty foggy when we hiked this trail this afternoon but still glad we did. Well worth it. We were able to see down into the cove even tho we couldn’t See out into the ocean. Beautiful!

Awesome trail, plenty to explore, beautiful sites throughout the trial. For my first hike on the coast I’m glad I went here.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Such a beautiful hike. My wife and I hiked this trail with another couple we met in Big Sur, two days before our wedding. Was our first hike together, and I don't think we could have picked a better one. Went out on the rocks, saw tons of sea urchin and huge waves. Will need to do this one again when better prepared next time in Big Sur.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Beautiful ocean vista on the tunnel side.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Quick easy walk. Just beautiful!

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Short and sweet. After you walk down to the rocks on the main trail definitely take the tunnel to Partington Cove on your way back. If you want to hike the Tan Bark Trail the Partington Cove is a good one to do the same day because they are across the street from each other. Neither one of these trails are marked from the road because they are not State Parks. Cell phone reception is non existent at best so make sure you have maps/mile markers or whatever you are using to find the location downloaded in advance.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Short hike but beautiful! My partner and I ran downhill. We climbed out to the rocks and watched the waves. Must do indeed!

Sunday, January 05, 2014

There is a lot of history in these coves, as you can see by walking through the hewn tunnel (past the lovely creek) and noting the concrete footings that still remain of the pier that was used to off load supplies from coasting ships over a century ago.
One can even do a "Sitz-dip" in the creek on a hot day (rare).
This is a good place to see a hidden secret of Big Sur and to avoid the larger crowds at the Pffiefer State Park just south.
The real hidden gem is the trail up through the redwoods acrid the road. A way longer hike but nicely remote.

Friday, August 30, 2013

A quick trip down to a spectacular cove! Very relaxing. I highly recommend taking the side trail to the left of the wildlife sign on your way down. You'll see a great creek, and it's very peaceful to listen to the water and take pictures of the mini-waterfalls.

Monday, December 26, 2016